Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

identifying 47 Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM

identifying 47 Oldsmobile

I'm looking at a parts Olds. Owner knows it's a 1947 but not which model. I don't know very much more than he does except I can use some 1947 sheet metal and trim stuff from a 60 series.

Here is what he sent me for information off the ID tag:
Style no.47-3519
body no.c878

Can anyone help with the model ID from this information
Thanks,
Jerry
'47 Convertible'
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:42 AM

Hmm...

Does it have a straight 6 or straight 8 engine? That is the second part of the series number. If you can get a picture post it and someone might be able to help you. Hopefully those numbers will come in handy too.
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Hmm...

Does it have a straight 6 or straight 8 engine? That is the second part of the series number. If you can get a picture post it and someone might be able to help you. Hopefully those numbers will come in handy too.
No engine but owner says it was a straight eight. Car is 40 miles away so not much of a chance of getting a pic good enough to identify. It's partially hidden in the bushes in the one pic he furnished with just part of the driver's side showing.
Jerry
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:01 AM

If it had the straight 8 then its a series 76. The series 60 only came with a six. They do share many of the same body parts. There is a GM cross reference book available, you can sometimes find them on e-bay. Buick, Olds, & pontiac share many of the same body and mech parts from 46-48
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
If it had the straight 8 then its a series 76. The series 60 only came with a six. They do share many of the same body parts. There is a GM cross reference book available, you can sometimes find them on e-bay. Buick, Olds, & pontiac share many of the same body and mech parts from 46-48
It must be a 76 Series then. Thanks for the info. An interesting car as it has been started as a street rod build and has a "Pinto" front suspension and 9 inch Ford rear. It's a 4 dr. sedan and why someone would choose that style puzzles me a bit. I was looking for a good grille but can't tell from the pics the owner sent. If I understand correctly the 70 series is longer from the cowl forward so fenders and hood would be of no value to me. If all 70 series frames are the same, someone looking to hot rod a 70 series might get a good start with the chassis and front sheet metal. I don't think he wants to part it as Ad says "You Haul." I will probably pass unless he was willing to part and sell the grille at a reasonable price. I don't have enough storage to buy and part it. Car is in Portland Craigs List under 47 Olds (not Oldsmobile and not 1947).
Jerry
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:56 PM

I understand there is a wrecking yard in Vancover, WA that has quite a few 40's cars with a few being Oldsmobiles. might do an on line search for it. I check and see if I can find it. There were a few grills on e-bay a week or so ago. type in 1947 Olds and check it out
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I understand there is a wrecking yard in Vancover, WA that has quite a few 40's cars with a few being Oldsmobiles. might do an on line search for it. I check and see if I can find it. There were a few grills on e-bay a week or so ago. type in 1947 Olds and check it out

http://www.allamericanclassics.com/ I know them and I have seen the 48 Series 70 they have which has been picked over like a month old zebra carcass on the Serengeti Plains. I live about 25 mi. from there and will go there when there is no other option. Very high prices but they will let you wander around without tools.

Thanks for the tip. If you get down this way give me a holler. A couple of pretty good show n' shines coming up at Ocean Park WA (Rod Run To The End of The Earth) and at Seaside, OR the same weekend-after-labor-day.

The two towns are about 25 mi. apart. Usually around 1,200 cars at Ocean Park.
Jerry