Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 Olds S88 conversion to power windows

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2016, 10:56 AM

56 Olds S88 conversion to power windows

I want to convert my 56 convertible to power windows.

So far I bought the window regulators for the two front doors including the round electric motors.

Here now the list of my questions:

1) I guess that I need a relay for each power window that I am putting in?

2) Do I need a circuit breaker for each power window?

3) Where exactly are these two mounted? Under the dash? Behind the kick panels? How and where are they srewed down?

4) The manual regulators cannot be changed to electrical ones by adding a motor?

5) Obviously I need to have an electrical wiring inside the doors, for the switch as much as for the motors. Do you have any photos on how the wiring looked like leading from the A pillar to the door? Was it protected by a spring?

6) I would still need the electrical regulators for the quarter panels as much as all of the switches.

7) I intend to put the switches into the holes of the window cranks, would that be possible? I do not want to scrap my inner door panels...

Thanks for your help.

brgds
The German
Old October 26th, 2016, 11:49 PM

Sorry you are not getting responses. I am guessing few if any have made the conversion. You need something like the factory shop manual with electrical diagrams and follow that. Used shop manuals are available through Ebay plus you should advertise on parts wanted on this site for one. Also look in Hemmings Old Car magazine for ads for Oldsmobile parts. I wish I could be more help to you. Maybe one of the 55 or 56 owners will chime in with at least some of the information. By the way someone in the aftermarket makes an electric window switch that looks just like a window crank handle. That would be one way to keep the original look. Do a google search or look on Ebay for these.
Jerry
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:11 AM

Can't help you with a conversion using old stock parts, but I just installed an aftermarket kit for the front on my 55 88 custom and it works great. Comes with everything you need. As mentioned, there are several companies making them. Not sure they all make them for 55-56 Olds though.

As for the rear, my car is a sedan and those windows only go down about 8 inches and they didn't sell the set up for that.

You could leave the back manual. I decided since I have AC I'm removing the cranks and locking the rear windows in the up position so I don't have to look at the crank handle......

For the wiring, you'll need to put a wire conduit from the door to the a-pillar. There are many variations available, just search and find one you like.

I've heard those crank switches break really easy. Just FYI.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:28 AM

Guys, thanks for your help.
I got the wiring diagrams and I am able to read them. I just wanted to make sure that I get some photos of cars that came with power windows. I would want to see the wire conduit from A- pillar to door, the location of the switches and other possible information.
I will use the regulators that I bought on ebay.com for the front doors. I will need to add the relays that we can buy at Fusick, as well as the circuit breakers. I just do not have any ideas, where Olds put them in the car?!
The switches can be bought at Fusick too.
Wiring is no problem, I just pray that I can cover the holes of the window crank handles with the switches and their bezels.
The quarter windows are still an issue.
Ne-relics.com offers conversion kits, I emailed them, but, nearly as usual, no answer. First, they do not list Olds and secondly they are V E R Y expensive.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Don't give up on Nu Relics

Originally Posted by The_German
Guys, thanks for your help.
I got the wiring diagrams and I am able to read them.
Wiring is no problem, I just pray that I can cover the holes of the window crank handles with the switches and their bezels.
The quarter windows are still an issue.

Ne-relics.com offers conversion kits, I emailed them, but, nearly as usual, no answer. First, they do not list Olds and secondly they are V E R Y expensive.

Hopefully a 54-56 owner with power windows on their 88 will see this posting and get back to you with the locations you want to know.

I used Nu Relics power window kit on my 1947 Oldsmobile convertible including the quarter windows and have zero complaints. They are by far the best quality of any power window kit on the after market. Expensive? Yes but you get a factory like regulator and it fits in the same bolt holes as the factory regulators.

Odd they don't answer your emails as I found them very responsive and their tech help is very good. Even though they did not list the kit for my 1947 they still made them. I think they have the patterns for a number of older cars that they don't list. Maybe the non-responsiveness is the difference between me being in the USA and you are overseas? I know a phone call would be very expensive but it might be worth it. Just a short one to let them know you are serious and please respond to your emails.

Jerry
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:03 AM

Jerry, I will call them next week. I am presently in Poland, so I need to get home first.
Will see, what they say!
thanks for the support.
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:34 AM

I bought the Nu-Relics stuff too. When I searched they got the best feedback by a lot. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. They were very helpful to me. They actually recommended I not do the rear glass as it wold be a nightmare. You'd have to carve up the inner well to fit the motor. And still only have glass that goes part way down.

Could've easily tried to sell me more stuff.

They were the only ones I saw with actual part numbers for the 55 Olds 88. The other guys wanted me to buy the tri5 Chebby stuff and make it work.

Stuff bolted right up! Maybe the easiest part of this build....
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Seems that again the good quality costs money.. :-) I will memorize what you wrote and call them up.
Thaaaaaanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!