Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

54 olds, something is moving when trans engaged

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2019, 12:03 PM

54 olds, something is moving when trans engaged

Greetings Everyone, I have a 1954 Super 88, 4dr. And so, when the trans. is engaged, say reverse, a "clunk " sound occurs; then same noise can occur when placed is Dr. or, sometimes, from a stop. I replaced all motor mounts because that seemed to be the type of noise that is made when they are weak/broken. Noise did not stop. Noise does not occur when car is down-shifting, as one comes to a stop. New motor mounts, all three; I have double checked, triple checked that they are tight, correct, etc. I had front hydraulic shocks replaced. Shop checked king pins, all other moving bits, nothing. New tie rods. I cannot imagine what is "free" to move when engine torque occurs....or simply when transmission is engaged. The rear, tube shocks are worn out. I know this is a bit vague, but I really do not know how to narrow down the issue? Any suggestions/ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. Gawain Oh, yes, transmission was rebuilt before I bought the car; it shifts fine.
Old July 10th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Ujoints (driveshaft) will clunk when the bearings are worn out.
Old July 10th, 2019, 06:41 PM

X2 on the u joints or you are hearing the coupler drain on a gear change. Is this a new thing? Do you only hear this clunk on starts and gear changes from first to reverse or will it happen when you let off the throttle and then punch it in a higher gear? It would help if you could make a youtube of the sound..... Tedd