Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

53 Wiper Arms.

Old July 17th, 2018, 08:55 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Eightbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Devon U.K
Posts: 404
53 Wiper Arms.

Hi guys,

I bought two NOS Trico wiper blades for my 53, one of which, the PS, fits perfectly, but the DRS is a no go, I noticed that the end of the arm that snaps into the blade nicely on the PS has a slight curl upwards to the end that connects to the blade, and with the blade removed and the arm resting on the WS you can see the curl, on the DRS however, that same part is dead flat, this is what's stopping me getting the DRS blade to fit on.

Now there is a NOS DRS blade for a 54-56 from Fusicks on Ebay, it has the matching curled end, and matches exactly the PS arm on my 53, leading me to believe I have a 54 arm already on my PS, my question is.....does a 54 wiper arm actually fit a 53? I obviously have two different arms on my 53, and as I have already bought the blades i'd rather match the one that fits my new blades.

How long is a 54 wiper arm? the arms on my 53 are 12 1/2" long, if they're the same length, I suppose the only problem then could be the splined post end being a different size.

Fusicks are saying it wont fit, and have pointed me to the arms they stock for my 53 on their website, but they are flat at the blade fitting end, just like my DRS.

I hope this all makes sense.
Eightbanger is offline  
Old July 17th, 2018, 04:34 PM
  #2  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Eightbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Devon U.K
Posts: 404
Pic one is my Wiper arm on the PS which is a perfect fit for the new blade.

Pic two is the one listed by Fusicks on Ebay for a 54-56.






Eightbanger is offline  
Old July 18th, 2018, 07:20 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Tedd Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Ranch Ca.
Posts: 5,137
Morning Eightbanger,

My tape measures 12 1/4 inches on the the arm and a even 12 inches on the wiper blade on the 55. Hope that helps.... Tedd
Tedd Thompson is offline  
Old July 18th, 2018, 07:24 AM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Eightbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Devon U.K
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
Morning Eightbanger,

My tape measures 12 1/4 inches on the the arm and a even 12 inches on the wiper blade on the 55. Hope that helps.... Tedd
It does, thanks Tedd, I wonder if the post was changed from 53 to 54...i cant imagine it was.
Eightbanger is offline  
Old July 18th, 2018, 07:33 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Tedd Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Ranch Ca.
Posts: 5,137
If you need it I can put a dial caliper on the splines and give you a measurement but I would bet they are the same. I have tried wiper arms off a 58 pickup and the splines were the same...... Tedd
Tedd Thompson is offline  
Old July 18th, 2018, 09:56 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Eightbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Devon U.K
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
If you need it I can put a dial caliper on the splines and give you a measurement but I would bet they are the same. I have tried wiper arms off a 58 pickup and the splines were the same...... Tedd
Your a pal, no need. I'm gonna commit and buy that one on Ebay, like you, I belive it's the same size.
Eightbanger is offline  
Old July 18th, 2018, 03:43 PM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Rocketowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,393
Not sure about the blades or wiper arms but the windshield in '55 was I believe the first
Full a Wraparound windshield and would be shaped differently from the '53! Larry
Rocketowner is offline  
Old July 18th, 2018, 07:59 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Ozzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.E. Louisiana, so far still in U.S.A.
Posts: 1,226
I don't know if this will help clarify or muddy the water. Here's what the Oldsmobile body parts book has for blades & arms.


Group 10.146 Blade, Windshield Wiper
1951-1953 exc. 98 Fiesta (11-1/4" long) 3733355
1953 98 Fiesta; 1954-1956 (1956-1st type for hook type arm) 566213
1956-2nd type (for bayonet type arm) 1464595


Group 10.147 Arm, Windshield Wiper
1951-S88; 1952 & 1953 exc. 1953-98 Fiesta (approx. 11-1/2") 3689052 RH; 3689051 LH
1953-98 Fiesta 563902 RH; 563903 LH
1954 thru 1956 (1956 1st type) (hook type) 564984 RH; 564985 LH
1956-2nd type (bayonet type) 568798 RH; 568799 LH
Ozzie is offline  
Old July 19th, 2018, 11:55 AM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Eightbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Devon U.K
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Rocketowner View Post
Not sure about the blades or wiper arms but the windshield in '55 was I believe the first
Full a Wraparound windshield and would be shaped differently from the '53! Larry
Larry, thank you sir, the windshield shape shouldn't be too much of an issue as these style of blades are able to contour themselves to the shape of the glass.

Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
I don't know if this will help clarify or muddy the water. Here's what the Oldsmobile body parts book has for blades & arms.


Group 10.146 Blade, Windshield Wiper
1951-1953 exc. 98 Fiesta (11-1/4" long) 3733355
1953 98 Fiesta; 1954-1956 (1956-1st type for hook type arm) 566213
1956-2nd type (for bayonet type arm) 1464595


Group 10.147 Arm, Windshield Wiper
1951-S88; 1952 & 1953 exc. 1953-98 Fiesta (approx. 11-1/2") 3689052 RH; 3689051 LH
1953-98 Fiesta 563902 RH; 563903 LH
1954 thru 1956 (1956 1st type) (hook type) 564984 RH; 564985 LH
1956-2nd type (bayonet type) 568798 RH; 568799 LH
More info is always good Ozzie, I put the Olds in storage yesterday so I cant pop out and measure things, but the blades I bought are 11" and certainly fit my PS arm perfectly, the differences with my DRS arm are subtle, but once you notice it you can see why it wont fit the replacement blade.


My NOS Trico blades




These are the hook type in Ozzies parts book, Fusicks have them 55-56, this is what I have on my PS. (see 1st pic)


My guess is that you could pretty much use any year, so long as your blades and arms are a match with each other. With that in mind, as I have NOS blades which take hook type arms from 54 up, I will buy a new pair of 54 hook type arms.

Last edited by Eightbanger; July 19th, 2018 at 01:22 PM.
Eightbanger is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mdfedewa
Custom/Aftermarket Suspension & Handling
4
March 28th, 2013 05:38 PM
My442
Parts Wanted
1
January 4th, 2011 01:27 PM
jugdish
Parts For Sale
0
October 9th, 2010 03:27 PM
rroth01
Parts Wanted
1
June 16th, 2010 06:40 PM
Mike77
Cutlass
3
November 12th, 2007 07:24 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 53 Wiper Arms.


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.