Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

51 Super 88 Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2019, 12:02 PM

51 Super 88 Newbie questions

Hello again,

I realised one of my dreams yesterday; to uneventfully get Lucille to and from a street meet, Niftee Fiftees, in the Woodlands, Texas! I do have some questions:

1. She has what appears to be an after market driver side rear view mirror. It is mounted such that the fanlight bumps it and cannot open fully, and the pillar between the fanlight and the main driver door window partially obscures it. I figure I am stuck with that, but wonder if anyone can share measurements to more correctly mount a passenger side mirror? I have bought a Fusick 513R, which is the mirror image of what I have on the driver's side.

2. My rear driver side door window winder **** has fallen off. I have bought a replacement but for the life of me, cannot unclip the circlip holding the old winder on. Is there a tool or trick?

3. I have had a terrible time getting my full size sombrero hubcaps to stay on. Many flange and tooth adjustments later plus the addition of some industrial 3M tape between the flanges and the rims I think I have arrived - EXCEPT - the hubcaps have rotated relative to the wheels such that the valve stems are now bent at 45 degrees. It appears that the hubcaps have had enough momentum to want to keep rotating more than the wheels upon braking. Surely it should not be so difficult?

4. Worst for last: The automatic gear shift indicator(not the gear shifter itself) / traffic indicator mount part of the steering column rotates freely about 20 degrees. Is there a trick to removing the centre of steering wheel logo/cover and what am I likely to find in there and how do I remedy it?

Thank You!
Andrew

Lucille (R) next to a 1957 98
Old September 1st, 2019, 01:55 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Regarding #1- mirrors were never factory installed- they were dealer installed or after market so they might be anywhere on the door or the fender.

Regarding #2- you should get one of these to remove the door and windows handles:

Amazon has them- lots of other places too.

Last edited by ignachuck; September 2nd, 2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 1st, 2019, 03:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you haven't purchased an original factory service manual, it will be the best money you will ever spend on this car.
Old September 1st, 2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Regarding #1- mirrors were never factory installed- there were dealer installed or after market so they might be anywhere on the door or the fender.

Regarding #2- you should get one of these to remove the door and windows handles:

Amazon has them- lots of other places too.
As Frank has said they could be put anywhere. My advise is don't measure the left hand side and try and match it but put it where you can see the best, trust me no one will notice the difference show judge or civilian.

Harbor Freight also carries that window tool in a set for cheap..... Tedd
Old September 1st, 2019, 07:14 PM

Thank y'all Frank and Red and Tedd,

I do have the shop manual and see section 13-9 on horn button removal. I am not sure if mine is 'standard' or 'deluxe' - I do not find Oldsmobile Tool GA-55 in google images - I wonder if the back of it is just a concave rubber friction surface?
And after looking fruitlessly under 'indicator,' 'flasher,' 'light,' and 'bulb' I finally got to 'turn signal' and found the exploded diagram Fig 16-48, though perhaps not exactly how to get it all apart and diagnose what's wrong, it is a start for when I am feeling brave!

Another question - this piece of metal fell out of a door - any ideas?

Last edited by aljmann; September 1st, 2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 10:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good advice on the mirrors Tedd. When I put the mirrors on my 54, I installed the drivers side first where I could see out of it. Then I installed the right side in the exact same location. Mistake. Can't see a thing out of it and it turned out to be for decoration only.