Dual Gate A/T Shifter

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Dual Gate A/T Shifter

I have a 67 442. I noticed in Year One (pt#QL43)there is a conversion for the TH-400 Transmission that fits the Cutlass Console. Gives you the His/Her shifting capabilities similiar to the 1968 GTO. Looks pretty good. Has anyone tried this? I am seriously thinking about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442 03.jpg (99.6 KB, 11 views)
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cbogartjr
I have a 67 442. I noticed in Year One (pt#QL43)there is a conversion for the TH-400 Transmission that fits the Cutlass Console. Gives you the His/Her shifting capabilities similiar to the 1968 GTO. Looks pretty good. Has anyone tried this? I am seriously thinking about it.
Am I missing something?

QL43 $171.00
TH-350 or TH-400 shifter conversion kit for 1967-1969 models.
Includes shifter detent, cable installation kit and console lens. Aftermarket.

Where does this say "His/Hers shifting capabilities"? I'm pretty sure this is simply the conversion kit sold by Shiftworks that converts the two-speed Jetaway shifter to a three speed shifter:

http://www.shiftworks.com/cutlas.htm#cutlas67

Note, by the way that Shiftworks sells it for $130, not $170.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Hi Joe, yeah I thought the same thing. Look at the picture on page 181 of the on-line Year One Cat. I also called Year One and they stated it was similiar to the 68 Pontiac "His/Her" shifter and fits into the 67 Cutlass Console with slight modification. They are out of stock currently, but they stated they'd have them in in a few weeks. Unless the picture and the guy at Year One are blowing smoke....Oh, the diagram above the picture "Oldsmobile Dual Gate A/T Console Shifter".

Last edited by cbogartjr; August 15th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cbogartjr
Hi Joe, yeah I thought the same thing. Look at the picture on page 181 of the on-line Year One Cat. I also called Year One and they stated it was similiar to the 68 Pontiac "His/Her" shifter and fits into the 67 Cutlass Console with slight modification. They are out of stock currently, but they stated they'd have them in in a few weeks. Unless the picture and the guy at Year One are blowing smoke....Oh, the diagram above the picture "Oldsmobile Dual Gate A/T Console Shifter".
I still believe that the item being described is the Shiftworks kit as I noted. Nowhere in the printed catalog does it describe QL43 (or QL44 for that matter) as being Dual Gate shifters nor does it indicate that the photo or diagram refers to the description. I would ask Year One for a photograph of the contents of the kit before sending them any money. I'm very skeptical because their printed descriptions EXACTLY match those used by Shiftworks. Note for example that they have different kits to convert 67-69 to three speed shifters and 67-72 to four speed shifters. Since the 67-72 shifters are all exactly the same, why is there not a 67-72 three speed kit "dual gate" kit? I submit that the reason is that this is the Shiftworks kit that simply converts the 67-69 two speed shifter into a three speed normal shifter and there were no two speed shifters after 1969.

By the way, the diagrams in the Year One catalog are simply copies of the ones in the Chassis Service Manual.

I'm also not aware of any conversion kit that turns the factory shifter into a "dual gate" of any type. I actually had one of the 68 GTO shifters that I custom installed into a 68 Olds console. It does allow single gear upsthifts, but the mechanism is completely different from the Olds factory shifter and there is no easy way to retrofit the Olds shifter.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Senior Moment Member

For what it's worth I agree with Joe. It seems to be just an upgrade from a powerglide or a 3 speed to a 4 speed nothing more. As usual Olds stuff is confusing when one is trying to determine what the damn product really is and what it will fit etc. Not to restate Joe's post but I think putting in a dual gate takes more than a simple mod to the console. Olds guys are always getting the shaft when it comes to performance parts. Not even the manufacturers are certain what their product does in some cases. I have found this out firsthand speaking with company reps about ill fitting or wrong applications. They just don't know. Now, if it's a Chevy.....
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Ok...thanks for the help...I'll back off.Guess maybe if it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true. Is there a dual gate set up that can work? Even if I went with a Pontiac console would be OK. Has anyone done this conversion? Again, thanks
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Moment Member

I think you should press for an answer that is definitive myself. Maybe that would help them get their catalogue in order too. I wasn't trying to be offensive. My comments were my opinions only. Fitting a Poncho console would be a piece of cake IMO. I think they almost look the same too. Welcome to the site! Jim
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Here is a link to what you are looking for. Not exactly identical to the original but close enough. Summit used to sell these but no longer does.

1/800-783-8726

--Select-- Auto Gear Engineering Amsoil Custom Clutch Works Hurst Lakewood McLeod Industries Mr. Gasket Ram Clutches South Bend Clutches Specialty Products Tremec Transmissions Valeo Clutches
Advanced Search

Hurst products > Dual Gate Shifters >
Displaying products 1 - 3 of 3 results Sort: -- Price Asc. Price Desc. Name Asc. Name Desc. Highest Rating Lowest Rating

Hurst

Hurst Dual Gate 2 Shifter,
Your Price $432.18

Hurst Dual Gate 2 Shifters,
Your Price $432.18

Hurst Promotional
Your Price $8.00

.ftr { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9pt; color:#333333; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-STYLE:normal; TEXT-DECORATION:none; } .ftr:hover { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9pt; color:#333333; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-STYLE:normal; TEXT-DECORATION:underline; } hr { border: 0; width: 100%; color: #cccccc; height: 1px; } Shop | About | Contact Us | FAQs | View Cart | Login | Order Tracking Copyright © Company Name, All Rights Reserved.
se enough! Summit used to sell these but no longer does.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Here is a link to what you are looking for. Not exactly identical to the original but clo

--Select-- Auto Gear Engineering Amsoil Custom Clutch Works Hurst Lakewood McLeod Industries Mr. Gasket Ram Clutches South Bend Clutches Specialty Products Tremec Transmissions Valeo Clutches
Advanced Search

Hurst products > Dual Gate Shifters >
Displaying products 1 - 3 of 3 results Sort: -- Price Asc. Price Desc. Name Asc. Name Desc. Highest Rating Lowest Rating

Hurst

Hurst Dual Gate 2 Shifter,
Your Price $432.18

Hurst Dual Gate 2 Shifters,
Your Price $432.18

Hurst Promotional
Your Price $8.00

.ftr { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9pt; color:#333333; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-STYLE:normal; TEXT-DECORATION:none; } .ftr:hover { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9pt; color:#333333; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-STYLE:normal; TEXT-DECORATION:underline; } hr { border: 0; width: 100%; color: #cccccc; height: 1px; } Shop | About | Contact Us | FAQs | View Cart | Login | Order Tracking Copyright © Company Name, All Rights Reserved.
se enough! Summit used to sell these but no longer does.
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Ok...after many e-mails back and forth and much "to do", Year One finally stated the shifter is not a dual gate shifter and they were incorrect in stating so. I did push it with them simply because I couldn't get a straight answer. If it wasn't for you folks I may have purchased the shifter and would have been very disappointed. Also, thanks for the Standard Trans & Gear Lead. When I get ready I'll try them. Thanks again....
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Let us know how it goes with Standard Trans & Gear. It would be very cool if that is indeed an aftermarket shifter with the "His/Hers" shifting capability.
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Registered

The goat console and shifter should work, Olds would be better, they go for big bucks but that shifter ain't exactly cheap either.
I have a Hurst His-Hers Dual-Gate in mine with a '68 GTO console. The console fits and the shifter works great... surrounded by a '68 GTO.
The pic is of a 442 with my car in front of it, so I guess it's okay.

Allan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front.jpg (55.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Bluevista; August 28th, 2008 at 04:18 AM.