Going to keep this clean guys and gals now A torque convertor ?

Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Going to keep this clean guys and gals now A torque convertor ?

As some guys know , I have a refreshed 350 /TH350. considering it was a stock refresh with unknown cam specs and replacement head gaskets unknown thicknss, new double roller chain. I would like to know if an upgraded torque convertor would be worth the $$$ and effort. New ebrock performer, new ebrock 600cfm, 1" carb spacer, Hurst shift kit, totally tuned with all new parts. I have the rar posi and 3:42 gears ready to install this spring along with shorty hedman ceramic coated headers, Powermaster mini starter,along with a new 2 1/4 dual system with Hooker aero chamber mufflers. Undecided on X or H pipe as of yet. Could you guys give my an idea as to what Torque convertor may help out if any. also as to the Xor H pipe addition. I'd like something throaty as I've heard the Hookers will deliver that.
Thanks guys and gals
Eric
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:14 AM

Jmo but r u planning to drag race the car? If so I would put a Saturday night special, B&M. Just a little more stall to help 60' time. Until u upgrade the camshaft and street use, leave it stock. Ken
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator

I agree with Ken, no reason to upgrade at this moment with basically a stock engine.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for the imput guys, no drag racing, just a weekend cruiser up to our trailer and around town. I've heard that the stock is ok, I just figured off the line a 1900-2100 may be a little better. The B&M converter don't seem to be too expensive $220. US, but if I it won't make a difference off the line then I'll stick to my stocker for now.

Last edited by 76olds; February 23rd, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:19 PM

Way back in the 80s when my '70 Supreme was still stock, I swapped to a ~2000 RPM converter during a trans rebuild (had to get another converter anyway, so I said what the heck) and I liked it a lot. It drove the same during normal operation but going WOT from a dead stop was definitely much better than before.
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I would go with the Saturday night special Kenny bill mentioned . I ran one for many years with no issues behind my mild little 350. B&M has somewhat of hazy reputation.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Hookers under Hood

Kenneth/copper.... I have came to a decision that I would like to try a higher stall converter,
Copper you mentioned B&M were hazy.
Could you guys give me an idea of what make and possibly part number so I could order one from summit and have it shipped to Canada.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking about the 2200-2500 but not sure if this would be too much.
Thanks guys .
Eric
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Hookers under Hood

What you guys think about the hughes HUP-GM20BPO?? 2000-2200?
I searched the Saturday night special from TCI but not sure as to what part number would work .
Eric
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:48 PM

Try tci or have your stock one re stalled stock ones can get re stalled to I belive 2500. A local shop here will rebuild and re stall for 150.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks copper, I would prefer to purchase something that I could just swap out, I have the rear done with 3:42 posi headers are on 2 1'4 duals with flowmaster 44's curved the disrtibuter and set the timing, it runs strong now with all the advice I got from you guys.
My problem is I get a decent chirp out of second if I give'er but not so much off the line. I was thinking a new converter would let it scream off the line.
Would I be dreaming lol? Should I just stick with the stock? I was hoping a new converter would get me more off the line
Thanks Eric
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:08 PM

You may need some more fine tunning. How fast does the timing come in . How much initial fuel are you getting. Have you messed with the pump shot ? A converter will only help so much. I have adouble pumper holley on my 355 and it has a slight and I mean slight off idle stumble but it still roast the tires. Now if I change the pump shot to dump more initial fuel it will be perfect. I have not had the chance to fine tune my turd lol. But I guess my point is there is always room for improvement. On the other hand you drive a heavy car with wide tires .
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Administrator

If you have your heart set on upgrading, I would stick around the 1800-2200 range after the gear change.
Old May 29th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you have your heart set on upgrading, I would stick around the 1800-2200 range after the gear change.
Well Eric my heart gets pounding, not sure if its set yet, but I'm definatly thinking that the hughes is worth a shot. Possible the TCI, I just can't figure out which one to choose from yet. I'm trying to go thru some older threads and see what most have gone with and what else they added such as a new flex plate I read. I will think it over the weekend and try to make a decision next week.

@ Copper everything is set up dialed in and running great, timing, fuel etc. Indeed its a big heavy car and the 245 60 15's certainly are not easy to turn. Although I just can'y figure out why I getting such a great kck and squawk out of second but very little off the line.
If anyone else has anything to add please let me know.
Cheers guys I'm off to the trailer for the weekend and do some golfing!!!
Eric
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and help. I ordered the TCI-241502 torque converter today from summit I should have it within 8 business days to Canada. I used my $20 summit bucks towards it and it took the price down lmao. Anyway I will update you guys in a couple of weeks or soon after I get it installed.
Thanks again and have a great weekend guys,
Cheers Eric!!!
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Although I just can'y figure out why I getting such a great kck and squawk out of second but very little off the line.
Two different things. Chirping second is a function of how fast the trans shifts gears. Back in the late 80s I witnessed a bone stock V-6 Camaro with a shift kit rip off one of the nastiest second gear squawks that I can remember ever seeing, and that car was a no power, can't get out of its own way, slug off the line.

On another note, my experience is that higher stall RPM softens the shifts. My car used to easily chirp second but with each higher RPM converter I installed, the chirps got more and more muted.
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Hookers under Hood

I hope I don't loose to much of the chirp out of second Kenneth, I'm hoping to get this 76 to turn -em off the line. I guess ill be somewhat disappointed if I loose the chirp from second and get nothing off the line with this converter upgrade.
I guess Ill know soon anuf .
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:22 PM

At the stall he is using he won't loose any firmness in shift. Go up to 2800 ish and yeah it wil be soft. But the upshot is being able to roast em from a 25 mph roll. Well with and engine that requires it and the proper output in hp and tq. I ran a 2200 stall in a pretty hopped up 350 it ran low 13's at 103 mph. That set up could not roast em if my life depended on it. I stepped it up to a 2800 stall and things got reall good. Not only could I roast em from a stand still I could be going 25 mph then just mash the pedal and break em loose. The proper tq. Converter matters big time.
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Hookers under Hood

You figure I made a good choice copper? Should I have went with a 2200 or more ? I know you and fun 71 had mentioned the saturday night special so I'm hoping for the best. I should get it sometime later this week. I'm also thinking of ordering the aluminum pan that adds an extra couple liters of fluid and a tranny cooler.
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:45 PM

You will be alright IMO. Once you go bigger cam and all that stuff send it out. You can probably get up to 2600 rpm out of that converter down the road if you had a shop or even tci re flash it. as for the pan don't do it just yet the stock stuff will do for now.
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks copper, I will pass on the pan for now then, I just read that the converters produce more heat. If you say I'll be ok witht he stock for now then I'm good with that. I figure a new motor will be in the works over the winter months. I will keep this one for a trophy piece lol. Unsure who I will use to build one as of yet.
Old June 8th, 2014, 07:57 PM

The thing about more heat generation is with "loose" converters that slip more than typical at cruising speeds. The good "tight" converters slip the same as factory until you mash the pedal so they don't generate more heat than a factory converter during everyday driving.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Hookers under Hood

Put-r-ther thanks guys, It is suppose to get here on the 10th so hopefully the tranny shop will get it done this week and I'll be sure to post the deal here.
Cheers!!!
Eric
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:54 PM
Hookers under Hood

Well the TCI 241502 torque converter is in. I noticed a little more torque off the line, still get rubber coming out of second but very little off the line. I guess I can't expect much with the 76 350 I have. Looks like the motor is the next on the list.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM

I know this post is from last year put when they say they recondished the convertor too.do they cut it open / and do what ever they do and weld it back together ? also don't u need to know what cam u have in ur motor before u go making changes like this.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:28 PM

I had a good local shop cut my 10 in. 3000 stall converter and just inspect it for 80 bucks a typical freshen up cost 100 to 150. They will freshen up and re flash a stock unit for 150. Now you can have a stall added with future mods in mind. Let's say you go 2200 stall that will help a stock engine launch but not hurt anything in the drive ability dept. That 2200 stall will come in handy with a mild cam. Of course you will have to have future mods in mind to do this.

Last edited by coppercutlass; July 23rd, 2014 at 07:30 PM.