Aux trans cooler.

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Aux trans cooler.

My car had an Aux trans cooler on it when I bought it. It has a TH350 in it. I am reassembling the car after performing a frame off and am debating weather I need to put this back on. It was jury rigged mounted to the radiator with tie straps. Not sure why it was installed by the PO. I do not plan on using the car for towing. I did install a shift kit and a 2000 stall convertor. Any thoughts on putting this back on the car?
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Administrator

It's probably not necessary, but entirely up to you. I don't run one on a street car, however if you plan on whipping it like a rented mule, I would put one on.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:08 AM

Thanks Eric, I guess the extra protection doesn't hurt anything. I may put it back on if I can figure a better way to mount it. It doesn't have any brackets on it. I am not crazy about the tie wraps to the radiator method of the PO.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:15 AM

As I usually ask .. is there any reason to NOT put it on? There's two schools as to where to install it; before or after the radiator. The one I always follow is, before the rad. That way it chills the fluid as much as possible ... then, if it's gotten two cold, it can reheat some in the rad before heading back to the trans. Heat is a transmission's greatest enemy... but there is a lower operating range too.

As for attaching ... most kits attach with a form of ziptie with buttons on the end. Not ideal, but that's just how it's always done. A better solution is to bend up some brackets and bolt it freestanding to the core support itself. You want it close enough to the rad that air sucked through the rad has to come through the cooler and not just around it.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:36 AM
delete

If you have it its cheap insurance as long as you run it in addition to the factory cooler & not instead of.
The plate type is supposed to be much more efficient than the fin type.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...0272/overview/

Last edited by droptopron; January 13th, 2014 at 07:51 AM.