jetaway,until she goes into 3rd anyway

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:03 PM

jetaway,until she goes into 3rd anyway

I have a 56 olds with jetaway transmission,it is leaking from the small inspection plate quite a bit .it will go from 1st to 2nd and then into 3rd it statrs slipping so i give her some gass and it downshifts into 2nd,cannot gain any speed in 3rd .It has been setting and not driven since 93 as far as i can tell.I just finished the car and it shakes a bit too,so i already put another new front mount in it today,most shaking is gone now.what i dont know is what the previous owner did to the trans while he rebuilt(incorrecty)the engine,as i had to have it rebuilt when i bought the car in 2000.any help would be appreciated,also i dont know of a trans guy around here that knows these units,i talked to a guy and he said they just had one in and it gave them problems .Glen
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Administrator

You would think somewhere in Mich there would be a reputable trans shop to fix your trans.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by golds56
I have a 56 olds with jetaway transmission,it is leaking from the small inspection plate quite a bit .it will go from 1st to 2nd and then into 3rd it statrs slipping so i give her some gass and it downshifts into 2nd,cannot gain any speed in 3rd .It has been setting and not driven since 93 as far as i can tell.I just finished the car and it shakes a bit too,so i already put another new front mount in it today,most shaking is gone now.what i dont know is what the previous owner did to the trans while he rebuilt(incorrecty)the engine,as i had to have it rebuilt when i bought the car in 2000.any help would be appreciated,also i dont know of a trans guy around here that knows these units,i talked to a guy and he said they just had one in and it gave them problems .Glen
Sounds like your rear clutch is shot. Rear clutch is off in 1st and 2nd gear, but on in 3rd and 4th.
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:13 AM

That dosent sound good.I did talk to another trans guy ,he wants the car there to start with pulling the pan for inspection so monday if time allows i will have it towed to him.He says hes done these before and can get the parts for any trans so i guess ill have to bite the bullet on this one too.At least i can stop cleaning the garage floor that way.Might be a good time for some epoxt floor paint too.
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Well its at the trans shop and the pan had shavings ,small but plenty to have to pull the trans and get a few parts and a gasket ,seal or two .ABout $500 bucks and she will be as good as new.And he said possibly by friday! woo hoo.Glen
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:40 PM

well not so good news,pump has to be sent to pontiac as it was scored,and a rebuild kit was almost 500 bucks,he said it may need one drum 200 bucks,labor 400 bucks,done right ,priceless.should be back on the road next week .Its right next to the front end shop we deal with so it will go there for alignment next.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:58 PM

I thought that the $500 price was a little cheap.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by golds56
well not so good news,pump has to be sent to pontiac as it was scored,and a rebuild kit was almost 500 bucks,he said it may need one drum 200 bucks,labor 400 bucks,done right ,priceless.should be back on the road next week .Its right next to the front end shop we deal with so it will go there for alignment next.
Curious, you say your sending the pump(front pump I guess) to Pontiac. Can you expand on this statement? Dealer, Detroit, who?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by d2_willys
Curious, you say your sending the pump(front pump I guess) to Pontiac. Can you expand on this statement? Dealer, Detroit, who?
Especially intriguing since the Pontiac we have in mind no longer exists...
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:32 AM

apperently a transmission/machine shop in pontiac mi.possibly gordons.I will try to get the name of it monday.and i do belive it is the front pump.
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Well the trans guy called today after a month of messing artound he said im done come and get it.Its not fixed though and i now have a high rpm vibration.he said he couldnt get the seal into the front drum without tearing it,tried four times but no go so he is giving up and wont work on anything older than he is from now on.I will now have to pull the trans on the garage floor and remove the front drum to take to another shop if i can find one,or take the cmplete trans to another shop.He didnt charge me so i am only out two tows.He also paid for the rebuild kit (so he said) and is leaving for two weeks of vacation and wont even pull the trans for me.I am thinking i wont be driving this summer at all.I was wanting to go to back to the bricks in flint in two weeks but its not looking good.
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:13 AM

did you ever get it fixed?
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:40 AM

I had a guy here hook me up with a friend of his in ohio who had two transmissions laying around .Drove to his place near akron oh and bought one with a years driving on it .it works good.I have taken the other one to a different guy who has done them before .I read your pm and if he has a difficult time i will ask if he wants me to give you his phone number.I kind of liked the way the other one shifted anyway.Thanks Glen
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:22 AM

thank you. i look at some of these threads and wander. cause a year or two or five is not very long when restoring nice cars. its a lot diffrent if its your driver though.