Parking brake cable question...

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM

I've researched this here but am still confused. I am swapping from a TH350 to a TH400 in my 72 Cutlass Supreme. I believe I need new front and intermediate cables for the parking brake. I've checked the Rockauto site, but I'm not sure what I need. Can anyone suggest the part numbers for the cables? Any brackets needed? Thanks!
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM

I seem to remember a 'hook' that hooked in a hole in the rear crossmember, and there was just enough adjustment to accomodate both transmissions.
But it's been awhile.
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:27 PM

I've read that the other cables will work, just need longer front and intermediate cables. Was wondering if my original Ebrake cable bracket will work? Was also wondering if my original safety neutral switch will work too? Spent hours on the internet but still doing a lot of wondering...lol
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK, a couple of things. First, there are three types of cables, front (that connects to the pedal), intermediate, and rear (that connects to the backing plates). The two rear cables are identical from side-to-side and are the same on all applications.

Second, the length of the intermediate cable varies with both crossmember location and wheelbase. There are three wheelbases used that year, 112" for all 2 doors, 116" for all four doors and flattop wagons, and 121" for Vista Cruisers. Then there are two additional variations, TH400 and all other transmissions. You need the front cable for "with TurboHydramatic" (yes, I know the TH350 is also a TurboHydramatic - I didn't write this stuff). You need an intermediate cable for the right wheelbase (you neglected to tell us 2dr or 4dr) and "with Turbohydramatic".
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:48 PM

But I seem to remember, when putting a TH400 in my '65 Chevelle 2-dr wagon, [originally a 3-speed] there was more than enough adjustment on the threaded rod, [6-8 inches long] to get it to work, unless that's a Chevy thing??
Not doubting you, Joe, but the partsbooks often have confusing descriptions!
Try being at a Cadillac/Olds dealer, [b-4 computers] where the same part had two prices, and two descriptions - Cadillac was about 25% higher list price! Same cost.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:54 PM

I am wresteling with this on the blue car right now. I replaced the 2spd Jetaway with a ST400 turbo, had to move the crossmember back as the 400s mounts require. So that puts the "adjuster" part of the front e-brake cable very difficult (read almost impossible) to get to and work with. So I figured the front section of the cable needed to be longer to make the adjustment section easier to access as it is now directly above the crossmember. That would mean the intermediate would need to be way shorter. The "hook" part for the passenger side just needs to be about the same place as the "U" shaped thing on the adjuster to even the cable out so the rears engage the same, it could be fabricared from a mild steel rod to the desired configuration if the original did not work out.
But all this is just what I have been thinking, I have not taken action nor researched any of this yet. I have mine working with a universal intermediate cable, one where there is one "ball" on one end and you add the other ball after you string it in place. But I want to get the correct parts to do it right.

Last edited by 66luvr; March 27th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Parking brake cable.....

My car is a '72 2-door convertible Cutlass Supreme with floor shift. Just bought a '69 455 and a '68 auto TH400 to swap out the 350 and auto TH350. I've spent hours on the internet, but it does get confusing for someone like myself who has never done a swap before. I have limited shop time to do the swap so I'm trying to get all the parts in soon to avoid downtime. Luckily, I have a mechanic friend that is helping me

I've read that the tranny swap is a straightforward thing, but it's been difficult understanding what linkage and ebrake parts I can keep and those that need to be purchased. Using some of the different vendor websites to select the correct parts has been challenging to make sure they will fit.

Once I get my car on the lift it should make more sense about fitment and what I need. I would be very grateful if someone has done a similar project and has the part numbers for what I need. I really do appreciate all the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
070507_1542a.jpg (37.9 KB, 45 views)
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:31 PM

Parking brake cable question......

Wanted to pass on this link I found for the cables and parts.
http://www.inlinetube.com/Brake%20Ca.../bcables10.htm
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1acesmith
I've read that the tranny swap is a straightforward thing, but it's been difficult understanding what linkage and ebrake parts I can keep and those that need to be purchased.
I'm having trouble understanding the difficulty. NAPA lists all of the appropriate cables. First, pick a wheelbase. Let's assume a 2dr with 112" wheelbase. Here'a all you need to know:

Rear cables off the backing plates do not change, they are the same for all crossmember locations and all wheelbases.

Front cable is longer for TH400 and shorter for everything else (all other transmissions available that year were the same length, only the TH400 used a different crossmember location). There are two part numbers at NAPA, use the one that matches the trans. This cable only changes for transmission, all wheelbases with the same trans use the same cable.

The largest part number variation is the intermediate cable. Here there are two lengths per wheelbase (one for TH400 and one for all other transmissions) and three different wheelbases (112", 116", and 121"), making a total of six different cables for the 1968-72 cars. Again, for a 112" WB 2dr, there are only TWO different cable lengths, TH400 and non-TH400.

And while it MAY be possible to hook up the wrong cables, you really don't want to do that. The cable lengths were selected to work for all possible ranges of brake lining wear and adjustment. Using the wrong cables may allow you to connect the cables, but at some point the equalizer will bottom on the crossmember before the cables are taut.
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
InfoJunkie

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm having trouble understanding the difficulty. .
Follow this link.

Sometimes the application guide is not as straight forward as you would think. We could assume it's the shortest one but the then the parts guy would have sold the wrong part. Most application guides are made for direct replacement not swaps.
Welcome to my world.

Enter appropriate info. Automotivee/Light Truck ;1972 ;Oldsmobile ;Cutlass Supreme ;brake- cables;search

Last edited by InfoJunkie; March 28th, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
Follow this link.

Sometimes the application guide is not as straight forward as you would think. We could assume it's the shortest one but the then the parts guy would have sold the wrong part. Most application guides are made for direct replacement not swaps.
Welcome to my world.

Enter appropriate info. 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme parking cables.
The problem is that the Raybestos catalog doesn't list all the applications. These cars ARE 30 years old and Raybestos isn't exactly a restoration parts provider. Go to napaonline.com and try there.

Front cable, w/o TH400 P/N UP92347, 44.81"
Front cable W/TH400 P/N UP92263, 44.17"

Intermediate cable w/o TH400 P/N UP92365, 95.56"
Intermediate cable w/TH400 P/N UP92352, 82"

Most parts stores should be able to cross NAPA numbers.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:46 AM
InfoJunkie

Online parts lookup and counter lookups use two different systems. The counter would not have that last link to the proper info thus would stop at the attached screen shot leaving 3 choices. At work we use the internet lookups for a large portion of questionable info sales. Most parts guys can't be bothered to do a little extra searching. I get the same pay if I make 5 sales or 100 sales so I go the extra steps.

Can anyone suggest the part numbers for the cables
The basic number is 92352. Just add a prefix (eg. UP,BC,B ) that the particular manufacturer uses and thats the correct one.
Attached Images
Untitled - 1.jpg (70.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by InfoJunkie; March 28th, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
Online parts lookup and counter lookups use two different systems. The counter would not have that last link to the proper info thus would stop at the attached screen shot leaving 3 choices. At work we use the internet lookups for a large portion of questionable info sales. Most parts guys can't be bothered to do a little extra searching. I get the same pay if I make 5 sales or 100 sales so I go the extra steps.
One reason why whenever I'm looking for something obscure, I research the part number FIRST, then go to the parts store. As an added bonus, if you print the page with a price on it, Advance will match the price on identical items. If you're looking for big or heavy parts (exhaust pipes, brake drums, etc), the savings in shipping usually more than covers the sales tax.
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:15 AM
InfoJunkie

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
One reason why whenever I'm looking for something obscure, I research the part number FIRST, then go to the parts store. .
The parts store must like dealing with you. I know I would.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:53 AM

Well Joe P -- I solved my same dilemma on my 67 the old-fashioned "el-cheapo" way. Instead of investing $70 bux on the 2 new cables and saving myself all of the aggravation associated with changing the front cable I just started tying knots in the intermediate cable -- when i got to 3 of em the cable was the perfect length to work with that short front cable. I was even able to route the front cable through the crossmember like it is suppose to be even with moving the crossmember back to the TH400 location. It aint pretty -- but it works! I didnt know they made a "universal" cable until i read it in a thread above. Maybe I will try one of those? I hav e some pix but for some reason today i cant upload. I keep getting "upload failed" message. I can send em to you via email and maybe you can post em?
Tweed
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Well Joe P -- I solved my same dilemma on my 67 the old-fashioned "el-cheapo" way. Instead of investing $70 bux on the 2 new cables and saving myself all of the aggravation associated with changing the front cable I just started tying knots in the intermediate cable -- when i got to 3 of em the cable was the perfect length to work with that short front cable. I was even able to route the front cable through the crossmember like it is suppose to be even with moving the crossmember back to the TH400 location. It aint pretty -- but it works! I didnt know they made a "universal" cable until i read it in a thread above. Maybe I will try one of those? I hav e some pix but for some reason today i cant upload. I keep getting "upload failed" message. I can send em to you via email and maybe you can post em?
Tweed

Well this dummy ( just figured out how to resize my pic so they will load.
Here they are --
Attached Images
DSCN3380.JPG (130.9 KB, 63 views)
DSCN3379.JPG (135.6 KB, 51 views)
DSCN3378.JPG (185.9 KB, 52 views)