cooling line fittings missing?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM

cooling line fittings missing?

just put new cooling lines on my 72 cutlass and they leak like a sieve. apparently there is supposed to be fittings in the tranny end to accept the double flared 5/16 line but they are missing. ive been puttin this car back togrther little by little and i cant find them in the boxes of parts i have does anyone know where i can get them because they dont have any at the stores around here. i am also not sure if its a th 300 or 400. let me know thanks.
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:06 AM

You should be able to get those fittings at the wreckers or for sure at any tranny rebuilder...They're brass.
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by devmar07
just put new cooling lines on my 72 cutlass and they leak like a sieve. apparently there is supposed to be fittings in the tranny end to accept the double flared 5/16 line but they are missing. ive been puttin this car back togrther little by little and i cant find them in the boxes of parts i have does anyone know where i can get them because they dont have any at the stores around here. i am also not sure if its a th 300 or 400. let me know thanks.
Two questions. First, if you're putting new lines on, what happened to the fittings with the old ones? Second, how did you manage to connect the new lines to the trans without the fittings?

The tapped holes in the trans are tapered NPT threads. The lines are inverted flare. If you forced the flare nuts into the aluminum NPT threads in the trans case, you may have damaged these threads to the point that you cannont install the proper fittings.

The fittings themselves are standard male NPT to female inverted flare. Any auto parts store or hardware store with a well-stocked assortment of brass fittings should have them. They are also the same on all TH350s, TH400s, and ST300s (and probably Powerglides as well) so any junk trans case is a good donor.