68 VS 70 console shift gates?

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Question 68 VS 70 console shift gates?

Will a 70-72 3 speed shift gate bolt into and work in place of the 2 speed in a 68 shifter. I hope I am calling the part the right name. I am refering to the cresent moon shaped piece that has the notches for PRNDSL. If they do not. Does anyone know an simple way to setup a netural-saftey switch onto the '70+ 3 speed shifter inside a 67-69 console. I have a 350th. Thanks.

Adam
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
Will a 70-72 3 speed shift gate bolt into and work in place of the 2 speed in a 68 shifter. I hope I am calling the part the right name. I am refering to the cresent moon shaped piece that has the notches for PRNDSL. If they do not. Does anyone know an simple way to setup a netural-saftey switch onto the '70+ 3 speed shifter inside a 67-69 console. I have a 350th. Thanks.

Adam
Good question. Unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer. It SHOULD swap, but I've never actually compared the two. By the way, the technical term is "shift quadrant".

Are you planning on using the whole 70-72 shifter, or just the quadrant on the two speed shifter? If the latter, you should be able to use the stock switch with no problem. If the newer shifter doesn't have the provision for attaching the switch link, you might need to fabricate some small tabs.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Car Junkie

Like Joe I've never swapped one over but I'd assume they'd interchange. The only thing I'm thinking might screw this up is on the 67-69 shifter you push the ball down to shift gears while on the 70-72 you pull up on the T. So the parts might not be the same from 67-72 but I bet if you stay with 67-69 it'll work.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Are you planning on using the whole 70-72 shifter, or just the quadrant on the two speed shifter? If the latter, you should be able to use the stock switch with no problem. If the newer shifter doesn't have the provision for attaching the switch link, you might need to fabricate some small tabs.
The car now, as I when bought it, has the newer style shifter installed with the 350th. It was a factory 2sp column shift. The missing N/S switch is why I want fix it. I was planning on using a proper earlier 67-69 shifter with the quadrant from my newer style shifter. I have tried and failed to make the stock N/S switch work. I wired up a switch to the shifter so I at least have backup lights. I used to turn the column by hand when backing up. Since the car is completely stripped right now I thought should try to put it back together (more) correctly.

How was the later style N/S attched to the shifter/console? Was it the same style switch, or is there a method putting the switch on the tranny isself?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by arodenhiser

How was the later style N/S attched to the shifter/console?
It didn't. The later style cars used the NSS on the column, even with a floor shift. The backdrive linkage that locked the shifter also operated the NSS.