4L60-E, 4L65-E Oldsmobile Bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Smile 4L60-E, 4L65-E Oldsmobile Bellhousing

I just noticed in the December Hot Rod (page 34) that Keisler Racing is going to offer a BOP bellhousing to bolt up the latest 4L60-E and 4L65-E overdrive transmissions behind Classic Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac. and Cadillac engines. These trannys can be built to handle LOTS of power. Makes my day!
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Oldsdruid

And unless I'm mistaken take a computer to run them, hence the E designation. Build a Turbo 400 or a non-computer OD transmission and you'll be better satisfied for the money spent.

I'm not about modern bells and whistles in an older car, and I despise computer-controlled anything on them. I'm not a believer in technology for technology's sake. Just me...
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
And unless I'm mistaken take a computer to run them, hence the E designation. Build a Turbo 400 or a non-computer OD transmission and you'll be better satisfied for the money spent.

I'm not about modern bells and whistles in an older car, and I despise computer-controlled anything on them. I'm not a believer in technology for technology's sake. Just me...
Glenn is correct. The stand-alone computer runs at least $1000 on top of the cost of the trans. You can build a bullet proof 200-4R for that kind of money.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Keisler overdrive for Oldsmobile

Hey guys, I know I am a little late to the party here, but I thought I would jump on this one anyway. Magazine articles sometimes jump the gun a little, and articles get written months before they are published. My understanding from Keisler as of right now is that there are plans to make BOP bellhousings, but they probably won't be available anytime real soon.

That being said, they do offer an adapter kit that will mate the Chevrolet bellhousing to the Olds engine (and space the torque converter back the same amount), but the Chevrolet LS-style bellhousing they offer isn't open on the bottom, and the Chevrolet starter pocket is on the passenger's side. In order to make the Oldsmobile starter bolt up, you simply have to cut a notch in the driver's side of the bellhousing for the starter nose to fit in to. Then you can use the adapter plate to make the Chevrolet tranny work with the Olds engine.

Also, Keisler's kits include the computer, the wiring harness, and a throttle position sensor. I am also "...not a believer in technology for technology's sake", but the computer control does offer a lot of advantages. With a laptop, you can adjust shift points, shift firmness, and torque converter lockup speed on the fly. They also offer a dual mode switch that will allow you to switch between a cruise mode with soft shifts and a performance mode with firmer, later shifts by just pushing a button.

Just my two cents worth...
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nzjkb5
Hey guys, I know I am a little late to the party here, but I thought I would jump on this one anyway. Magazine articles sometimes jump the gun a little, and articles get written months before they are published. My understanding from Keisler as of right now is that there are plans to make BOP bellhousings, but they probably won't be available anytime real soon.
Yes, they've been threatening to make one for years. I accosted the Kiesler rep at Fall Carlisle, pointing out that they make a bellhousing to mate the 4L60E to Chrysler motors, fer cryin' out loud. He basically said, don't hold your breath.
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM

I stand corrected - there IS one available now!!!

I just found out today that Keisler has located a source for a BOP bell to bolt up to the 4L60E transmission. The bell is actually a steel SFI approved scattershield that has a starter pocket on both sides (Olds and Pontiac = driver's side, Buick = passenger's side), with the BOP bolt pattern. List price on it is about $550 plus the price of the trans kit. Or, like I posted earlier, you can use the Chevy aluminum bell with a $100 (I think) adapter and notch the bell for the starter.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM

The modular 4l60-e's look like good units to bolt to an older engine/car. Everyone gets scared about the electronics. About $100 for the electronics unit, and whatever is needed to sense throttle position, car speed, and engine vacuum. SIMPLE!
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by d2_willys
The modular 4l60-e's look like good units to bolt to an older engine/car. Everyone gets scared about the electronics. About $100 for the electronics unit, and whatever is needed to sense throttle position, car speed, and engine vacuum. SIMPLE!

I'd be VERY interested in your source for a $100 trans controller, considering you can barely buy a torque converter lockup system for that. All the aftermarket trans controllers I've seen for the 4L60E, 4L65E, and 4L80E are priced in the $1000 range. Then your "simple" sensors only require a TPS, VSS, and MAP sensors. Again, you can't buy those for $100.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to electronic controls. I just think you have greatly understated the cost.
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

I'd be VERY interested in your source for a $100 trans controller, considering you can barely buy a torque converter lockup system for that. All the aftermarket trans controllers I've seen for the 4L60E, 4L65E, and 4L80E are priced in the $1000 range. Then your "simple" sensors only require a TPS, VSS, and MAP sensors. Again, you can't buy those for $100.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to electronic controls. I just think you have greatly understated the cost.
Joe: The controller should be about $50 in parts. The programming of the Microcontroller is the time consuming portion of the cost. But if I do the programming myself, along with the controller assembly, then $100 isn't much. TPS ~ 35, MAP ~ 60, VSS~ 60. Let's see, hmmm, my math comes out to $255 all together, about 1/4 the cost of the damn controller you mentioned. Interested in one of these babies? I will let all know when I am done and have tested on my 4L60E in my 98 Sliverado. POC!
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe: The controller should be about $50 in parts. The programming of the Microcontroller is the time consuming portion of the cost. But if I do the programming myself, along with the controller assembly, then $100 isn't much. TPS ~ 35, MAP ~ 60, VSS~ 60. Let's see, hmmm, my math comes out to $255 all together, about 1/4 the cost of the damn controller you mentioned. Interested in one of these babies? I will let all know when I am done and have tested on my 4L60E in my 98 Sliverado. POC!
If you can build and program it yourself, more power to you. Your post implied that the $100 controller was available to anyone. Clearly it's not.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Keisler has a controller that only needs a TPS signal and uses the VSS that is already on the tailhousing. Their controller comes pre-programmed for the 4L60e, and it comes with the harness and a TPS sensor for $995. Yeah, it is a grand, but you don't have to buy any other sensors, and you can just plug it in and go.
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Keisler has a controller that only needs a TPS signal and uses the VSS that is already on the tailhousing. Their controller comes pre-programmed for the 4L60e, and it comes with the harness and a TPS sensor for $995. Yeah, it is a grand, but you don't have to buy any other sensors, and you can just plug it in and go.
Hey that's great, now I don't need to buy a VSS! Now it's down to under $200 for my controller with TPS and MAP sensors! Cool!

(IMO, you will need to sense vacuum too, that is why the MAP sensor is needed)

BTW: You dudes can go out and buy the $1K units. I will stick with my setup, since it will have various switchable settings for performance, towing, easy driving, etc. You will also be able to hold in any gear if desired. It will also have self test features, that will allow the transmission to shift itself, without use of sensors.

Oh, and btw, my setup will be available to the public after doing the prove-out tests.
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you can build and program it yourself, more power to you. Your post implied that the $100 controller was available to anyone. Clearly it's not.
Joe: It will be, hopefully soon as I have alot of other old car projects on the table that will be available to public too. These include transmission/engine/driveshaft adapters, along with various electronic products.

You will be one of the first to get the PM that the 4L60-E controller kit is available.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:15 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Joe: It will be, hopefully soon as I have alot of other old car projects on the table that will be available to public too. These include transmission/engine/driveshaft adapters, along with various electronic products.

You will be one of the first to get the PM that the 4L60-E controller kit is available.
I LIKE the possible use of paddle shifter. and chuck the floor console/shifter ...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post151827
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:18 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Oh yeh ...

You could aways install the chevy unit and adapt it to the car with a chevy engine ...
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:20 AM
is Fast Enough ...

:eek:

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Ben

I wonder if the JW ultrabell would bolt up if you were to cut off the stock bellhousing. Its got the universal pattern to fit BOP cars.

It would depend if the 4l60E's pump bolt patern was the same as the TH400 & Th350- guessing they are not since JW doesn't list it on their website...

just a thought.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I wonder if the JW ultrabell would bolt up if you were to cut off the stock bellhousing. Its got the universal pattern to fit BOP cars.

It would depend if the 4l60E's pump bolt patern was the same as the TH400 & Th350- guessing they are not since JW doesn't list it on their website...

just a thought.
Yeah, I had the same thought, but I don't think the pump bolt patterns are the same.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Later model (1998-up cars, maybe 99-up trucks?) 4L60Es have a removeable bellhousing, and QuickTime Performance makes a BOP bellhousing to bolt to the later model 4L60E. Keisler engineering sells them, too.
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Later model (1998-up cars, maybe 99-up trucks?) 4L60Es have a removeable bellhousing, and QuickTime Performance makes a BOP bellhousing to bolt to the later model 4L60E. Keisler engineering sells them, too.
That's great for BOP type engines, but what about Rockets, Nailheads, early hemi's, etc? And what kinda price are they advertising for what they have now. I get the feeling that Keisler would be selling them for about 1K, since that is their going rate. Way too much! Especially if you make a simple spacer plate to connect a 64 Bonneville hydramatic bell housing (BOP) to the 4l60e's with removable bell.

Thanks for the info though!