Automatic transmission shifter locked up

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Automatic transmission shifter locked up

Nubie here: i have a 1976 cutlass supreme, 21.000 miles, cannot move the shifter leaver or turn on the ignition. Have the steering wheel apart and the ignition cyl out. Still no luck. Anyone have any suggestions.
Old February 27th, 2019, 02:33 PM

I had one weld it self together when the ground strap rusted out
Old February 27th, 2019, 02:59 PM

Column or floor shift? Pics would help to show where you are with the disassembly of the column...
Old February 27th, 2019, 03:07 PM

It is a column shift, i'm curious if this car has a cable inside a housing going from the column to the trans. Note: car has been sitting for many years and last ran 3 years ago. Worked ok then.? Don't have any pics, i just pulled the steering wheel, and all connecting parts.

Last edited by charliet615; February 27th, 2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old February 28th, 2019, 05:51 AM

I'm going off of memory here so don't shoot if I've forgot something... The key switch locks the steering wheel from turning and the shifter from moving in the off position. There is a linkage on the column at firewall (engine compartment) which moves with the column shifter that move the linkage on the transmission. This linkage is also on floor shift models to allow the locking of the floor shifter and steering wheel. To my knowledge, there is no cable for this on a '76 column shift. If the steering wheel (or column shaft inside the column which the steering wheel bolts to) is slightly turned and binding, it can stop the ignition switch (key switch) from turning. For instance, if before all of this happened you turned the key switch to run but didn't start the car and turned the steering wheel one way of the other and held it in a turned position, while turning the switch off, there would be pressure from the tires/steering box to move the steering wheel back to a neutral position (if this makes sense). This could prevent the switch from turning or at least make it difficult to turn the switch until you try to turn the wheel to get the pressure off the key switch. I would just stick the steering wheel back on and try to rock the steering wheel left and right while trying to turn the key (jiggle it around while turning)..
If this doesn't do anything, it could be the key switch cylinder (wore out, in a bind, tumblers inside worn, or trash in the cylinder) is bad. As the cylinder must turn to run position before you can turn the wheel or move the shifter. Unfortunately, you must turn the ignition switch to the on position to remove the key cylinder. So, if you can ever get it to turn on, I would replace it. If you are unable to get the cylinder to turn on to remove it (there is a "button" to push in, look online to find it) you can drill it out but unless you know how, you will likely permanently damage the area that holds the key switch in the column.
It is possible the cam inside the column is broke or in a bind but unless you've been inside a column before, I would suggest getting someone that is familiar with it and has the tools to get inside.
Hope this helps a little.
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by rickman
I'm going off of memory here so don't shoot if I've forgot something... The key switch locks the steering wheel from turning and the shifter from moving in the off position. There is a linkage on the column at firewall (engine compartment) which moves with the column shifter that move the linkage on the transmission. This linkage is also on floor shift models to allow the locking of the floor shifter and steering wheel. To my knowledge, there is no cable for this on a '76 column shift. If the steering wheel (or column shaft inside the column which the steering wheel bolts to) is slightly turned and binding, it can stop the ignition switch (key switch) from turning. For instance, if before all of this happened you turned the key switch to run but didn't start the car and turned the steering wheel one way of the other and held it in a turned position, while turning the switch off, there would be pressure from the tires/steering box to move the steering wheel back to a neutral position (if this makes sense). This could prevent the switch from turning or at least make it difficult to turn the switch until you try to turn the wheel to get the pressure off the key switch. I would just stick the steering wheel back on and try to rock the steering wheel left and right while trying to turn the key (jiggle it around while turning)..
If this doesn't do anything, it could be the key switch cylinder (wore out, in a bind, tumblers inside worn, or trash in the cylinder) is bad. As the cylinder must turn to run position before you can turn the wheel or move the shifter. Unfortunately, you must turn the ignition switch to the on position to remove the key cylinder. So, if you can ever get it to turn on, I would replace it. If you are unable to get the cylinder to turn on to remove it (there is a "button" to push in, look online to find it) you can drill it out but unless you know how, you will likely permanently damage the area that holds the key switch in the column.
It is possible the cam inside the column is broke or in a bind but unless you've been inside a column before, I would suggest getting someone that is familiar with it and has the tools to get inside.
Hope this helps a little.
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:30 AM

Thank you Rickman, we have tried all that you have suggested, except nitro-glisten, today we'll try to disconnect the cable from the tranny and see if we can free up the cable. TX, Charlie
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Sorry, just reread your post and saw you already had the cylinder out (sux getting older!). Please update when you get it fixed as I am interested in what the problem is. Good luck.
Old March 1st, 2019, 08:16 AM

Will do, cold and rainy for the next few days. Working on the ground so i'll have to wait awhile. Tx, Charlie