56 olds transmission bogging

Old December 12th, 2018, 06:35 PM

56 olds transmission bogging

Hello everyone, I’ve recently been experiencing some bogging when accelerating and the automatic transmission is trying to shift? Any ideas? Found some drips of tranny fluid coming from the linkage on the driver side of the transmission. Any help is great help.

Thanks in advance!
Old December 12th, 2018, 09:10 PM

Not enough Info. May not even be transmission related.Check out the accelerator pump , If the the vacuum advance has no longer holds a vacuum the systems are a lot like that. It could be harmonic balancer slipping changing timing. Just too many possibilities to venture a guess.... Tedd
Old December 13th, 2018, 11:02 AM

Ok I’ll look into those. A bit more details. I got gas a few hours before work then while driving I was getting on the freeway and it got up to about 35 mph and seemed to not shift to the next gear during this time the car bogged or bucked. I let of the gas and then when I pressed it again it did the same thing and started slowing down. So I got off the freeway and said ok I’ll take the back roads. Had no issue until again around 30 mph going up a hill and I was stopped at the light and gave it gas and she bogged when moving forward and then she died. Restarted her and she did the same thing till finally I turned her on and just floored it bc if traffic and took her around the corner not up the hill. No overheating or smoking no signs of anything major just a few drips here and there coming from the side where the linkage connects to the transmission on the driver side, side of the transmission. Checked the trans fluid while it wasn’t running and there seemed to be enough, but then when I checked when it was running the stick barely had anything on it.
Old December 13th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Chips56
Checked the trans fluid while it wasn’t running and there seemed to be enough, but then when I checked when it was running the stick barely had anything on it.
That's most likely your problem . The transmission must be full with the engine running .
The level without the engine running is irrelevant .

Old December 15th, 2018, 07:39 AM

My interpretation of a bog is something pulling the engine down in RPM, struggling to maintain or increase RPM. Though you may have a low fluid condition I would think your RPM's would increase (slippage) not bog. Maybe I'm on the wrong page here or missed something..... Tedd