Learning the TH350

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Learning the TH350

Hi. I'll start by saying that I know close to zip about transmissions and wanted to get a better understanding of mine. My 70' CS is a column shift automatic with the 350 engine and the TH350 trans. It has the kick down cable which is linked to the accelerator pedal assembly and not the setup routed to the carb. It has a new kick down cable, new filter and seal and is in functional condition as far as I know. I don't have any issues with the trans and it runs smooth while driving but I rarely notice it shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. I would guess that I'm just not hearing/feeling it's not as if my engine is revving at high RPM's while in 2nd but I don't have a tach hooked up yet so it's just a guess. Drove it on the highway earlier this evening as it's been a while since I had it up to speed and getting on the pedal, she got up to 70 mph without any issues. When I was driving around the 40-50 mph range, I hit the gas and expected to feel what a noticeable change in gears (similar to modern setups such as a passing gear) but I didn't feel any thing other than smooth acceleration. Does this sound normal and I'm just thinking too much about this or is there something I should check?
Old September 16th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

stock GM transmission where meant to shift smooth, a harsh shift meant wear unless it was re worked for positive shifts .
Old September 16th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Passing gear is activated by the kick down cable at wide open throttle. It may need to be adjusted.
Old September 16th, 2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Passing gear is activated by the kick down cable at wide open throttle. It may need to be adjusted.
Makes sense. What’s a good method to adjust the pedal mounted cable?
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Administrator

There is a locking mechanism (left side of picture) on the cable, some are metal and some plastic. Jjust push it back, floor the gas pedal and it will slide back in place.
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There is a locking mechanism (left side of picture) on the cable, some are metal and some plastic. Jjust push it back, floor the gas pedal and it will slide back in place.
Thank you very much!
Old September 17th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tgilligan
It has a new kick down cable,
Who installed the cable? Was it properly adjusted at the accelerator pedal so it engages at the correct point in the accelerator travel?
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Who installed the cable? Was it properly adjusted at the accelerator pedal so it engages at the correct point in the accelerator travel?
A shop that put the engine back in after I had the machine work done installed the cable. I don’t know if any adjustment was done but I’ll take the advice in this thread and adjust it.