Why so costly?

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Kyle

Why so costly?

I have a th400 long tail I am gonna rebuild but was toying around with the idea of a manual swap, nothing TOO serious though. But why are Muncies so expensive!! What’s so special about them?
-Kyle
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:01 PM

A question best answered by driving one. I can say that used ones seem expensive and then you may need to work on them. I bought a (brand new) Muncie rock crusher from 5speeds.com for around 2200 but the used ones cost and them possible need to be rebuilt puts you up there over 1500. In my experience. Just my two cents worth. Be aware that you will need all the parts associated with a manual as well as a drilled crankshaft if yours is not already drilled. There are threads on here that get into detail on this subject. Good luck and hope it works out.
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 87Brougham
I have a th400 long tail I am gonna rebuild but was toying around with the idea of a manual swap, nothing TOO serious though. But why are Muncies so expensive!! What’s so special about them?
-Kyle

What's so special about them is that everyone restoring a 1960s GM muscle car wants one, and are willing to pay for it. A GM-style T-10 will bolt in place of a Muncie and can be had for less money.

FYI, what car are we talking about if you currently have a long tail trans? The full size cars that came with factory four speeds used a long-tail Muncie that is quite rare. You think regular Muncies are expensive???

I assume you are aware of the problem with Oldsmobile cranks not being drilled for the pilot bearing, right? If you are talking about a full size car, I assume you are also aware of the rarity of clutch pedals and linkage parts.
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Kyle

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What's so special about them is that everyone restoring a 1960s GM muscle car wants one, and are willing to pay for it. A GM-style T-10 will bolt in place of a Muncie and can be had for less money.

FYI, what car are we talking about if you currently have a long tail trans? The full size cars that came with factory four speeds used a long-tail Muncie that is quite rare. You think regular Muncies are expensive???

I assume you are aware of the problem with Oldsmobile cranks not being drilled for the pilot bearing, right? If you are talking about a full size car, I assume you are also aware of the rarity of clutch pedals and linkage parts.
No, I have a G Body, just bought the engine and trans together out of a Delta 88. Yeah I don't know much to anything about manual cars, but it caught my interest after watching some youtube videos. Again, not super interested but I just didn't know what the big deal about a Muncie is, people seem to really respect that transmission. On craigslist you can get a TH400 for like 200-400 dollars but these Muncies seem to start at 800 dollars and its just absurd!
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

On craigslist you can get a TH400 for like 200-400 dollars but these Muncies seem to start at 800 dollars and its just absurd!
TH400s outnumber Muncies by about 1000:1. This is called supply and demand. $800 for any good 4spd manual trans is cheap. A $200 TH400 is called a core.
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:44 AM

No, I have a G Body, just bought the engine and trans together out of a Delta 88. Yeah I don't know much to anything about manual cars, but it caught my interest after watching some youtube videos. Again, not super interested but I just didn't know what the big deal about a Muncie is, people seem to really respect that transmission. On craigslist you can get a TH400 for like 200-400 dollars but these Muncies seem to start at 800 dollars and its just absurd!
Muncies are also good transmissions. As Joe said, $800 is cheap. TH400 for $200-400 should be considered cores. I am sure the $400 TH400 "was working when we took it out". Plan on another $1,000 to have it gone through.

Old July 29th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Kyle

TH400s outnumber Muncies by about 1000:1. This is called supply and demand. $800 for any good 4spd manual trans is cheap. A $200 TH400 is called a core.
I understand what supply and demand is Joe. I just didn't know if it is worth the cost, and what makes a Muncie special over any other manual transmission.
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Kyle

Originally Posted by Gary M
A question best answered by driving one. I can say that used ones seem expensive and then you may need to work on them. I bought a (brand new) Muncie rock crusher from 5speeds.com for around 2200 but the used ones cost and them possible need to be rebuilt puts you up there over 1500. In my experience. Just my two cents worth. Be aware that you will need all the parts associated with a manual as well as a drilled crankshaft if yours is not already drilled. There are threads on here that get into detail on this subject. Good luck and hope it works out.
Now for 2200 is that a "built" transmission? Like how much hp and ftlb can it handle? You really enjoy this transmission over any other?
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

I understand what supply and demand is Joe. I just didn't know if it is worth the cost, and what makes a Muncie special over any other manual transmission.
Clearly it is worth the cost to someone. As I pointed out, the "special" part is because that's what GM put in Corvettes, Chevelles, Camaros, and all the other cars being restored. There are a limited number of Muncies and a LOT of Chevy (and other GM owners) who want to convert their AT cars to manuals. As I also pointed out, if you don't care about that, get a T10. Frankly, the late 70s Super T10 with the 2.88 first gear is a better choice for a street driven car anyway. You'll pay at least $800 for one of those.
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Kyle

Clearly it is worth the cost to someone. As I pointed out, the "special" part is because that's what GM put in Corvettes, Chevelles, Camaros, and all the other cars being restored. There are a limited number of Muncies and a LOT of Chevy (and other GM owners) who want to convert their AT cars to manuals.
Okay thank you for clearing that up. I just didn't know if there was any benefit to Muncie over any other manual, or if it was simply supply and demand.
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:06 AM

What's so special about them is that everyone restoring a 1960s GM muscle car wants one, and are willing to pay for it. A GM-style T-10 will bolt in place of a Muncie and can be had for less money..
You perhaps missed reading this part from Joe. "What so special................restoring a 1960s GM muscle car".

Old July 29th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
You perhaps missed reading this part from Joe. "What so special................restoring a 1960s GM muscle car".
I've got two ex-wives. I'm used to people ignoring what I say...
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Kyle

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Okay sorry I am a little confused now. So let me get this straight. This transmission came in this 60s muscle cars originally? And people are buying them to have stock restorations...? Again I'm sorry I'm confused.
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Kyle

I've got two ex-wives. I'm used to people ignoring what I say...
I didn't mean to ignore you, I just didn't get it. Sorry.
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

This transmission came in this 60s muscle cars originally?
I'm sorry, but how many times do we have to say that in this thread?
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:35 AM

I always used Muncie transmissions and I have broken one. My latest one was built from all new parts, geared to match gear ratio and horse power. The "Rock Crusher" makes noise because of gear tooth angle. I just wanted that sound on this build. As posted when doing a period correct 40+ year old car with dwindling supply of original parts people become willing to pay more. In your case the first place to look is the spoken of crank being drilled. You can use plan B, cutting off the end of the transmission shaft. There have been varying results reported on plan B.