200R4 Cooler line pressure

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:52 PM

200R4 Cooler line pressure

Dear friends,

I bought an external oil cooler to get the ATF cooled. I am going to bypass the radiator altogether for various reasons.
My question is this:
What is the max pressure of ATF at the cooling circuit? I am asking this because I need to decide what sort of hoses I need to connect from the metal lines to the cooler.
This 200R4 is attached to a CCC 307.
TIA
Old July 23rd, 2018, 06:18 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Use the braided fuel rated hose and EFI style clamps are the best. The factory 2004R pressure inside the trans should peak at about 180 psi stock. The cooler lines will have lower pressure, as said, good quality clamps and braided fuel hose lasts for years. I also bypass the rad cooler, just slid the attachment nuts back on the steel lines and clamp behind the ferrule and they will last forever. You can also slid a bigger piece of hose any where it contacts the rad or support to reach the external cooler.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 07:45 AM

ATF-rated rubber hose with barb fittings are commonly used for trans coolers and work just fine. It takes a little bit of hunting to find a hose that actually says it's compatible with ATF but I think it's worthwhile to make sure it doesn't fall apart.

If you're feeling fancy then go for all AN fittings with teflon line.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 08:32 AM

If you look for a transmission cooler installation kit it will have the correct hose. I think advance auto sells them in either their towing or performance section.

Old July 23rd, 2018, 08:58 AM

If you're by-passing the radiator make sure you get a large enough cooler.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 07:25 PM

pretty much any parts store worth it's salt will have transmission cooler hose in 5/16th or 3/8ths.o'reilly's around here all have it.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 09:22 PM

This is what I have. 29cm x 14cm x 5cm is the cooler volume. 19 rows. Should be enough right?

Not doing anything fancy until I get the whole car 100% functional (this is a swap).

Thank you all for the helpful comments
Old July 24th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
pretty much any parts store worth it's salt will have transmission cooler hose in 5/16th or 3/8ths.o'reilly's around here all have it.

You would think that. I've literally had counter guys give me heater hose when I asked for transmission hose. Check and double check!

Originally Posted by kuseetha
This is what I have. 29cm x 14cm x 5cm is the cooler volume. 19 rows. Should be enough right?

Not doing anything fancy until I get the whole car 100% functional (this is a swap).

Thank you all for the helpful comments

You got AN fittings there just waiting to be used! Add some AN adapters with straight cut NPT threads on the tranny and run AN hose! You get to buy the expensive stuff and learn a new skill.
Old July 24th, 2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by oddball
You would think that. I've literally had counter guys give me heater hose when I asked for transmission hose. Check and double check!
I agree with you. I was once looking for high pressure fuel injection specification hoses SAE J30R9 and they did not know what that is. 6 shops I checked!

I consider myself "cost conscious" so I thought to re-use the existing metal tubes that came to the radiator. Then fit two AN fittings to the ext. cooler and connect the fittings and metal lines with rubber tube pieces and hose clamps. Not that these rubber hose pieces are difficult to replace after few years, if needed.
Old July 25th, 2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by kuseetha
I consider myself "cost conscious" so I thought to re-use the existing metal tubes that came to the radiator. Then fit two AN fittings to the ext. cooler and connect the fittings and metal lines with rubber tube pieces and hose clamps. Not that these rubber hose pieces are difficult to replace after few years, if needed.

In that case, do you already have that cooler? The cheaper units with barb fittings usually come with an install kit that has hose and adapter fittings to tie into one tube, and, well, radiator. But then you only need to buy one fitting to get a barb on the end of the other tube. Actually, hardware store stuff might work because it's just 45deg flare to barb.
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Well, yes I already have that cooler (eBay). Shouldn't be too hard to find ATF comptible hoses here.
Anyways my biggest concerns weren't the hose fitting but the line pressure at the cooling circuit and the adequacy of the size of the cooler.

TBH I am not a fan of fancy looking bits in the engine bay such as these red/blue silicone hoses, metallic red/blue AN fittings etc...looks too Asian than American ( I am technically south asian haha) . So even If I have to go for AN fittings, would go for black only. Prefer the stock appearance all the time
Old July 25th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Hookers under Hood

Before I went to a hard line, I used 250 psi rubber transmission hose from Summit Racing. Never had any problems with it, just wanted hard lines in place of the rubber.
When I worked for a rad shop in my early teens after school and saturdays , we tested the inner rad tank coolers at 60psi prior to soldering on the tank.
If I remember correctly, their is about 40psi running through the stock lines and inner rad cooler.
The guys have given many good suggestions to go on, so you won't have any issues. That cooler will dam near cool a city bus haha!

Eric
Old July 25th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Don’t use tapered pipe threads on a transmission case that has cooler fitting that use a copper washer, you will probably crack the case. The fitting with copper washers used straight pipe threads. Yes, you CAN use tapered pipe fittings, but don’t overtighten them, or give them a extra crank if they leak. Better safe than sorry, use the right fitting, it will be cheaper than repairing a cracked case
Old July 25th, 2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by oddball

this is why i just go in the back room to the hose and get what i want.it's nice to know the people that work there!
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Don’t use tapered pipe threads on a transmission case that has cooler fitting that use a copper washer, you will probably crack the case. The fitting with copper washers used straight pipe threads. Yes, you CAN use tapered pipe fittings, but don’t overtighten them, or give them a extra crank if they leak. Better safe than sorry, use the right fitting, it will be cheaper than repairing a cracked case
I am using the same original metal hoses/fittings that came originally with the car. Those will be fitted to the transmission case. Only the other end of those tubes will be connected to the cooler via rubber hose pieces.
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Before I went to a hard line, I used 250 psi rubber transmission hose from Summit Racing. Never had any problems with it, just wanted hard lines in place of the rubber.
When I worked for a rad shop in my early teens after school and saturdays , we tested the inner rad tank coolers at 60psi prior to soldering on the tank.
If I remember correctly, their is about 40psi running through the stock lines and inner rad cooler.
The guys have given many good suggestions to go on, so you won't have any issues. That cooler will dam near cool a city bus haha!

Eric
Thanks heaps Eric. Exactly the information I was looking for.
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:54 PM

Thank you everyone who took the time to give your valuable comments. I am really grateful to all of you