T-10 4 speed gearing 1962

Old June 29th, 2018, 05:59 AM

T-10 4 speed gearing 1962

I am wondering who is a good source for T-10 parts and information? The first gear in our 62 4 speed Jetfire is to tall and I want to lower the first gear when I restore the car. The clutch chatter is a pain in the butt dealing with and I think a lower first gear will help. Not sure what is involved to do this. I am a purist and love keeping things original but I think I will make an acceptation for this.

Anyone here know another year T-10 that had a different gear ratio that will work in the 62 case?
Old June 29th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I am wondering who is a good source for T-10 parts and information? The first gear in our 62 4 speed Jetfire is to tall and I want to lower the first gear when I restore the car. The clutch chatter is a pain in the butt dealing with and I think a lower first gear will help. Not sure what is involved to do this. I am a purist and love keeping things original but I think I will make an acceptation for this.

Anyone here know another year T-10 that had a different gear ratio that will work in the 62 case?

Eric,

I'm not a T10 expert, but in my experience with Muncies, buying new gears is insanely expensive. I've found it cheaper to buy a complete used trans, and swap parts as needed.
Old June 29th, 2018, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Eric,

I'm not a T10 expert, but in my experience with Muncies, buying new gears is insanely expensive. I've found it cheaper to buy a complete used trans, and swap parts as needed.
That is the plan if I can find what to buy. I assume the guts will be like a Muncie. I would bet I can't just change first gear. It will be the cluster also and then 2nd and 3rd gears will also be different by then. Maybe 4th would be the same with most everything being 1:1 4th gear but not holding my breath. As long as the case is the original I will be ok with it. I will keep the original guts around so that maybe a future owner would want them. A jetfire is not like a W-30 so it is not that big of deal that the guts would be changed.
Old June 29th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Try KajunJon, he builds Muncies and T10's. Very knowledgable about both and sells a very good product. Jon@KajunJon.com
Old June 29th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Phantom Phixer

The original T-10 (as built for GM) had two low gear ratios .
Either a 2.54 low , or a "close ratio " 2.20 low .
If your trans is original then it should be the 2.54 version .

The two main causes of clutch "chatter" are either a bad clutch or soft or defective motor mounts . These items should be checked first .

I was going to suggest changing the rear end ratio . But a check of the service manual shows that only three ratios were offered , 3.08 , 3.23 , and 3.36 . Hardly "stump pullers" any of them .
Old June 29th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
The original T-10 (as built for GM) had two low gear ratios .
Either a 2.54 low , or a "close ratio " 2.20 low .
If your trans is original then it should be the 2.54 version .

The two main causes of clutch "chatter" are either a bad clutch or soft or defective motor mounts . These items should be checked first .

I was going to suggest changing the rear end ratio . But a check of the service manual shows that only three ratios were offered , 3.08 , 3.23 , and 3.36 . Hardly "stump pullers" any of them .

The late 70s T10s were available with 2.88 first gear. I suspect you could swap the gear sets. As for the Y-body rear axle, it is a unique item only used in the 61-63 F-85 and Skylark. If you think Type O gears and parts are hard to get, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Old June 29th, 2018, 06:42 PM

Mine is original and is the 2.54. This is the only one available in the f-85 in 62. I also have the 3.36 rear gears. I have had two 4 speeds now and talked to others that have a new rebuilt clutch and everything redone and everyone of them does the same thing. Mine got a little better when I put my 13 inch tires and wheels on it. I am not an expert at all on 4 speed clutch setups but I just looked at the motor mounts this week and they are all appear good.
When I restore the the car I am going to get the original clutch rebuilt because a replacement is not available. Do you have any recommendations on who to use?
Old June 29th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
When I restore the the car I am going to get the original clutch rebuilt because a replacement is not available. Do you have any recommendations on who to use?
Try this company ;
https://fortwayneclutch.com/
In your " neck of the woods " too .
Old June 30th, 2018, 04:34 AM

You might want to consider re-surfacing the flywheel at this time.