'62 Starfire Slim Jim

Old June 15th, 2018, 01:26 AM

'62 Starfire Slim Jim

Hi guys ... Am new to this forum so any help would be appreciated . Just had my Slim Jim overhauled and wondering how important the TV rod is to be set up correctly . My problem is that the trans is not engaging into top gear . I get up to about 60mph at about 4000 rpm and thats about it . I am hoping its the TV rod adjustment as I'm not keen in dropping the transmission again !! Have been back to the guy who overhauled it and he has just wound the TV rod up . Not many trans guys know about these trannies as there are not many Starfires here in NZ . Any help would be appreciated....
Old June 15th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by huggie
Just had my Slim Jim overhauled and wondering how important the TV rod is to be set up correctly
This setting is essential. If the TV rod isn't adjusted correctly the transmission won't shift right.

I suggest you take the car back to the guy that rebuilt your Slim Jim and tell him he needs to make it right or give you a discount. Slim Jims are definitely odd beasts, if someone says they can rebuild one they better know what they're getting into.
Old June 15th, 2018, 05:59 AM

What Olds64 said, the settings can make or break the transmission.
Next week I'll be making the 2 setting tools for the TV rod linkage settings.
Check the manual for the setting dimensions and only move the adjustments a half turn at a time.
Steve
JASWEST
Old June 15th, 2018, 06:09 AM

What years was this transmission used in Oldsmobiles ?
Old June 15th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
What years was this transmission used in Oldsmobiles ?
1961 thru 1964 only , thank God !
Old June 15th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There are not a heck of a lot of people in the US that can rebuild a slim jim. If you have one in NZ it would be a miracle. Good luck with your transmission.
Old June 15th, 2018, 07:14 AM

Here is some reading material for you, doubtful this will fix your problem but might give you a idea on where to start.

The Slim Jim is the reason I don't have a early sixties Oldsmobile.... Tedd......http://forums.aaca.org/topic/54478-s...justment-help/
Old June 15th, 2018, 07:19 AM

I had a 64 98 years ago and the Slim Jim was the worst part of the car. I would like to get another 64 98 or even a 64 Starfire, but the Slim Jim would have to go. Then again, would I really want to adulterate a Starfire with aftermarket parts? Hmmm...

Good luck with your Olds. Let us know what you figure out.
Old June 15th, 2018, 09:42 AM

You guys are making the rebuild of one of these out as witchcraft, which it is not. Any transmission man or mechanic of any real experience willing to try can get one right on the first try, these were built on a timed assembly line. Any and all better quality then original hard and soft parts are available. It's not my first choice for a modern automatic transmission either, but they work fine and give good service without teenagers driving them today as used cars with neutral drops and rollbacks, which is how this old reputation developed.

One word of advice: Once it is rebuilt and driving, shorten the TV rod a turn at a time until the up shifts are definitely high enough in observed rpm, you cannot let one of these up shift too quickly in the name of smoothness.

Last edited by coldwar; June 15th, 2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling