ID for TH400

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2018, 01:23 PM

ID for TH400

So when I bougt my 69' 442, the people we bought it from claimed that the transmission was a #'s match. Course they didn't have the engine to go with it, and we've decided to do a swap to something better anyway. But I was wondering, how would one go about proving that the Trans is a #'s matching.

The only number I can find is on the tag and it reads. OG 69 8144

I know the OG is without ram air, and the year is obvious, but I don't see anything that matches the cowl tag or the vin. The car didn't have a build sheet when we bought. Is there a number somewhere else? Also I am converting the car to a 4 speed Muncie, should I hang on to the "#'s" trans, or just let it go?
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:04 PM

If you are planning on keeping the car, I would just let it go and build it the way you want it. OG is the code for the 442 Turbo 400. Be sure you know the small items necessary to convert to the four speed.
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Randy C.

There is a number, referred to as the VIN derivative, stamped into the transmission housing, driver side. The stamping is horizontal onto a vertical surface between two "ribs" on the housing. If it is original to the car, the first number will be a 3, and the last 8 figures will match the last 8 figures of the VIN on the car.

Randy C.
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

The lower center figure in this drawing is the location of the VIN derivative stamp on a TH00. As Randy points out, the first character will match the first of the VIN and the last eight will match the last eight of the VIN.

Old May 15th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
There is a number, referred to as the VIN derivative, stamped into the transmission housing, driver side. The stamping is horizontal onto a vertical surface between two "ribs" on the housing. If it is original to the car, the first number will be a 3, and the last 8 figures will match the last 8 figures of the VIN on the car.

Randy C.
Thankyou, that really helped. As it turns out it is the original. Too bad they hocked the old 400 to match. Now I got to figure out if I should keep it or let it go with the 403 it's been bolted to for the last decade.
Old May 15th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The lower center figure in this drawing is the location of the VIN derivative stamp on a TH00. As Randy points out, the first character will match the first of the VIN and the last eight will match the last eight of the VIN.

This is a big help, thanks. So it turns out it is a numbers match. Now I gotta decide if I want to keep it or not. Kinda torn about it. If the car had it's original 400CID in it this wouldn't even be a thought, wish I knew where that thing had gone.
Old May 15th, 2018, 03:12 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Having any original parts is a good thing IMO. It will add value if you save it for the next owner. No chance of tracking the engine down? Those two items will add significant value...thousands...to the right person. What dollars you will get out of selling the trans isn't worth selling it compared to the value it adds to the car, again IMO...Once it is gone its gone.