200-4r questions

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:50 AM

2004r

You might consider going back and picking up that cadillac unit if it is an AA code. I was advised that these worked well and I agree it is working well in my car after my DIY overhaul. Like mr olds403 I pretty much pieced mine together and bought parts as I could afford them. I will suggest the billet shaft forward drum to prevent the park and six neutrals and a tow bill. But i put a stocker in mine due to budgetary constraints. The billet input requires work as noted above and you need the billet planetary or that shaft causes the planetary to develop cracks. I did some budget spring swapping in the vb and drilled some holes on the vb plate out a little bigger. Keep us posted on your progress .

Originally Posted by mikejana
Thanks guys, on the way to pick up a 1990 200-r4 from a Buick Electra in the morning. The alternative was a 1990 from a Cadillac Brougham. Both under $200.
Anyone wanna share the CK manual?

Should be assembling the motor within 2 weeks, so need to make some quick decisions and get the complete set of trans parts on the way.
k
Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:55 AM
Jet lagged & Hungry

I'm not posiitive about the tire size, she is tucked away in a friends garage until the engine/trans are done.
I used an online calculator and ran it after checking the tires size.
The calculator I used had me at 1500 at 63, 1750 at 73 and 2000 at 84.
I cruise at 77 so 1900 rpm seemed pretty sweet.
I got the street and strip CK kit, it's in there!
Old February 3rd, 2018, 04:45 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I'm not posiitive about the tire size, she is tucked away in a friends garage until the engine/trans are done.
I used an online calculator and ran it after checking the tires size.
The calculator I used had me at 1500 at 63, 1750 at 73 and 2000 at 84.
I cruise at 77 so 1900 rpm seemed pretty sweet.
I got the street and strip CK kit, it's in there!
If you cruise around at close to 80, you will be fine. Mine didn't lug at 1500 to 1900 rpm locked up and I probably had 100 ft/lbs less of torque than your stroker. I was disappointed with 19 mpg imperial running non ethanol fuel at 1700 to 1900 RPM, 20+ may have been possible but would have required a ridiculously lean APT setting. As I said, full throttle shifts should be around 4000 RPM full throttle with the stock governor, although some are a low as 3000 RPM, and make sure the TV cable is adjusted before you drive it with the proper cable bracket for full TV cable pull and geometry. A bracket for a Holley should work with the Quickfuel carb.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:03 PM
Jet lagged & Hungry

Thanks Christian,
Thats the cable I ordered. Have not decided on a torque converter yet, Everything else is here or on the way.
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:28 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by ReallyWildStuff
Its been my observation that _every_ overdrive transmission is "not cheap". Suggest shop "new with warranty" prices from major transmission vendors to know what you're signing up for...its unlikely you'll beat them on dollars with a core and parts+rebuild.

The 700-R4 has a steep first gear and requires an adapter for non-Chevy bellhousing. Weakest listed here (?).
The 200-4R can be built to the moon with lots of aftermarket support from the GN crowd.
The 4L80E is a billy bad *** TH-400 that's very large physically and even MORE expensive. Also requires a bellhousing adapter.

All require the addition of a computer. Once you start looking at the $$ numbers a Gear Vendors behind the transmission you have starts to look better and better.
2004r and 7004r don't need any computer..
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:31 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Other than the factory calibration, there is no difference between a “performance” trans out of a Monte Carlo, 442, or Grand National and the internals from either of your donor cars. Use whichever one has the cleaner pan and better looking fluid. Install the performance upgrades, look over the stator support tube, and have fun
wrong there is much different between the base cars and the 2004r in an SS and GN
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:32 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by edzolz
I might be wrong, but didn't the Monte Carlo SS come with the 3.42:1 also. The 3.73:1 gears came in the 442's from 85-87.
SS with out o/d had 3.42 (83-84)
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:04 PM
ph_ckstick1

Not to highjack this thread but anyone have a listing of the speedo drive and driven gears and what app it/they where used in..
rear gears and tire size..
Years ago I found one for the th400, but have not found one for the 2004r.. yet.
I know for s 3.42 rear gear and 26" tire you'd just use a gn one.. or one from an SS with 3.73 and 26" tire.. but the wagons and big caddys I'd think had lower gears 3.23 or lower and taller tires..
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:07 PM

3:23 needs the 12 and 30. The 3:42 is the hard one as it needs the 11 tooth GN gear which is the costly one
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:16 PM

Speedometer shop fixed my 200 4 R with an adapter when I changed to a 3.73 and changed my tires Cost was reasonable .

Last edited by Oldcoyote; February 13th, 2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:50 PM

http://highperformanceolds.com/phpbb...php?f=7&t=5517
Old February 13th, 2018, 09:13 PM
ph_ckstick1

Thank you.. saved..
Old February 13th, 2018, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
Thank you.. saved..
You are so welcome
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Jet lagged & Hungry

So I just opened up the box with the Hughes deep pan and man is this thing huge!
Am I going to have ground clearance problems with this?
Can anyone tell me how far below the frame this hangs?
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:15 AM
Rodney

So I just opened up the box with the Hughes deep pan and man is this thing huge!
That Hughes pan will hang down about 1-1/2" lower than the stock steel pan. This is why I chose the PML low-profile pan, because it only hangs down 1/2" lower than stock. It's also recommended when using the low profile pan to over fill the transmission by half a quart to keep the filter pickup covered during cornering and hard take-offs. The PML pan also has a small baffle at the rear to reduce slosh.
Old February 17th, 2018, 02:38 PM

wrong there is much different between the base cars and the 2004r in an SS and GN
Can I get a breakdown on what is different between the "base cars" and the Performance 2004rs?

As stated by matt69olds the calibration is what is different. The vb and governor. The other stuff is the same. Clutches, planetaries, and other hard parts. The only other thing I can think of is the larger servo(692 and 694) in the mcss, 442s, and brf of the turbo Regals.

Last edited by TexasT; February 17th, 2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old February 17th, 2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by TexasT
Can I get a breakdown on what is different between the "base cars" and the Performance 2004rs?

As stated by matt69olds the calibration is what is different. The vb and governor. The other stuff is the same. Clutches, planetaries, and other hard parts. The only other thing I can think of is the larger servo(692 and 694) in the mcss, 44s, and brf of the turbo Regals.
What about the hardened inputs, or is that just after market??
Old February 17th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I had that pan on my 70S, I believe it is about even with the the cross member. I also had it on my marshmallow 88 Cutlass, no issues for ground clearance and the pan, the whole car was lower and exhaust would scrape but the pan was fine. Hopefully you don't have the seepage issues I had on multiple 2004R's with my pan.
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Firewalker
Just aftermarket.
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by olds403
3:23 needs the 12 and 30. The 3:42 is the hard one as it needs the 11 tooth GN gear which is the costly one
What driven gear have you been finding in most 2004R's? I have found mostly the black 27 tooth driven gear, although the last one was a brown 26 tooth gear. With a green 10 tooth, the black 27 tooth, it is perfect for a factory height 25.6" tire on a G body and 3.42 gears. I calculated the common 225/70R14 used on our A bodies, my current 26 tooth brown gear and 10 tooth green gear will be perfect with that tire size and 3.42 gears.
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Just aftermarket.
Ok thanks
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
If you do a billet input, do like olds403 and get the billet planetary to go with as the shaft makes the planetary crack.
Hard stator support and hard sun shell came on the scene around 1986(all units) but shoot, these are old these days and for about $40 it is cheap to go with new ones. another upgrade the newer units got was the bearing in the forward planet. The older one was a bushing.

The forward drum has a tendency to twist the end of the shaft off. A billet shaft unit is the way to go there if it is in the budget. Especially if you dual feed the direct clutches.

Get a good quality unit as this one obviously had a poor weld.
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Jet lagged & Hungry

I had that pan on my 70S, I believe it is about even with the the cross member. I also had it on my marshmallow 88 Cutlass, no issues for ground clearance and the pan, the whole car was lower and exhaust would scrape but the pan was fine. Hopefully you don't have the seepage issues I had on multiple 2004R's with my pan.
Thanks!
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The stator shaft would explain why my 88 trans was fine, although only one was failing on 4 different 2004R's and that was a recent rebuild. I know Dr Dan and CK also suggest a sunshell upgrade even in a stock rebuild
Old February 17th, 2018, 04:56 PM

I seem to recall reading somewhere around 86-87 Hydromatic started heat treating the sun shell. The sun shell will be a darker color than some of the other parts inside. I doubt the stator support tubes were ever heat treated from the factory, they are soft as butter. I have seen them with the spline gone in trans behind the mighty 260 Olds. Even more behind the powerhouse 307.
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by TexasT
If you do a billet input, do like olds403 and get the billet planetary to go with as the shaft makes the planetary crack.
Hard stator support and hard sun shell came on the scene around 1986(all units) but shoot, these are old these days and for about $40 it is cheap to go with new ones. another upgrade the newer units got was the bearing in the forward planet. The older one was a bushing.

The forward drum has a tendency to twist the end of the shaft off. A billet shaft unit is the way to go there if it is in the budget. Especially if you dual feed the direct clutches.

Get a good quality unit as this one obviously had a poor weld.
TT: Bushing in the Forward Planet! Found out the hard way in our '72 Vista Cruiser! If I only knew then what I know now when I built it. It started with the car hesitating when put into drive then working if I pulled the lever into manual LOW. Sprag slipping? Did not happen all the time. Went to put the car away that evening, wanted to just go around the block before I did that, the transmission tied up between 1st and 2nd. Good thing I accelerated softly or else damage may have been a lot worse, it was like the brakes were suddenly applied. Suspicions confirmed upon disassembly! Lesson learned, 1) use the newer torrington bearing style. 2) Burnouts now to be done with the lever in LOW so the low/reverse clutch helps the low sprag!

We learn! (We hope!)
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:13 PM

That plastic washer has one place - the trash can. The later units have the bearing. I have a very early 200R4 that I picked up and its not even a multicase. I picked it up a few weeks ago and it was a never rebuilt. It had water in it so the VB is in the scrap pile now.
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:16 PM

Keep in mind that only CK parts fit his input drums. I learned that the hard way as I have an Art Carr input drum and a Scott Mc Clay drum. I know for a fact the Mc Clay drum interchanges perfectly with all stock otherwise parts. CK does not.
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by olds403
That plastic washer has one place - the trash can. The later units have the bearing. I have a very early 200R4 that I picked up and its not even a multicase. I picked it up a few weeks ago and it was a never rebuilt. It had water in it so the VB is in the scrap pile now.
I could not agree with you more! Just the thought of the torque from the engine multiplied by the transmission and torque converter, and then having to be fed into an anti-spin differential and then through two wide tires on a rear end heavy car that little plastic part never stood a chance. I shudder at the thought of that now!
Old February 18th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I seem to recall reading somewhere around 86-87 Hydromatic started heat treating the sun shell. The sun shell will be a darker color than some of the other parts inside. I doubt the stator support tubes were ever heat treated from the factory, they are soft as butter. I have seen them with the spline gone in trans behind the mighty 260 Olds. Even more behind the powerhouse 307.
I agree with the Stator, the nearly stripped one was a 87 trans that was behind a 307, I believe. The Sunshell is such a low cost part but good know about how to identify the heat treatment vs not.
Old February 18th, 2018, 06:29 AM

I agree with the Stator, the nearly stripped one was a 87 trans that was behind a 307, I believe. The Sunshell is such a low cost part but good know about how to identify the heat treatment vs not.
Yes, the stator support shaft. I have seen them worn to tiny points, on the verge of failure. GM was always a little guilty of releasing things before they really had been tested for durability. The only exception as far as a lot of hard parts went was for the Toronado. But even in those a few minor things showed up. Regardless, the front end of those cars went on to being used in motorhomes as we know.
Old February 18th, 2018, 06:58 AM

Do you mean column shifter? You don't need to do anything with the column shifter, unless you are manually shifting low gear. Drive is Overdrive and Drive is 2 and 1 is Second on the column indicator. I think I could grab low but I had my shift points right at 5000 RPM where I wanted them so I never manually grabbed gears with the column shifter. Take off the shifter rod attachment off your TH350 and attach it using the proper metric nut on your 2004R.
I am a little late to this thread, as I have now read through it all and I see a question about the shift mechanism to be able to get low gear. I ran into the problem in our tilt steering column shift '72 Vista Cruiser of not being able to grab LOW. So what we did was to get the swing of the arm that attaches to the rod give a longer swing! We cut the arm and welded in a half-inch extension, and this solved the problem. Park and reverse are where they should be on the dial, so is neutral. Drive is just a hair to the left of the 'D', '3' is just to the right a bit further, '2' is just past the 'S' on the dial, and '1' is to the right of 'L'. The main thing is interestingly enough the important ones like PRN and more or less D are in the right spots. Sorry for the really poor picture, but this is what was done. You can see the two welds that attach to the lever to increase its length.

Lengthening the shift lever under hood rod side
Old February 18th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Mike, these may help you too. I used to post a lot to Youtube, may start to again in the future, but these movies you can find by following more on my page may help you out with the 200-4R project! This is just one in a whole series of these things. There is a ton of stuff on the rebuild. The experience was very fun and a learning process! Regards, Howie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=liiVSjoCWJA
Old February 18th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Use this to calculate the speedo gears.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...UyDzX52a3jnvx_
I usually leave the driven gear in the trans since getting the speedometer bullet out can be a PIA. But since you are doing a full rebuild, go with the most economical available gears with your tire height and gearing. When it is out is the time for new O rings on the speedometer bullet, not fighting under the car. If you have the common 27 tooth driven gear, I have a red 12 tooth gear, I can send you for free, it won't work with my current combo or future gear swaps. I also have a beige drive gear, not listed will have to count the teeth.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; February 18th, 2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old February 18th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Jet lagged & Hungry

Thanks guys!
Old March 26th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Jet lagged & Hungry

What is everyone using for a dust cover on the 200-r4?

I'm seeing really terrible reviews of all the one's I can find online, most are plastic.
Old March 26th, 2018, 07:52 AM

Get a metal one from the 83-87 Buick t type / grand national. They pop up on eBay from time to time. The universal plastic ones suck, but the gm ones from the olds 307 are fine
Old March 26th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Jet lagged & Hungry

Thanks, I'll start searching

Is f type Regal, GNX.....?

Last edited by mikejana; March 26th, 2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old March 26th, 2018, 08:30 AM

around 1984 they started to heat treat the sun shell. About the same time they eliminated a thrust washer in the low/reverse carrier and replaced it with a bearing. I’m sure there were other small continuous improvements and upgrades made, these are the only ones that I can recall from memory. These changes were made across the entire 2004r transmission line. Read a parts manual, read CK book, other than the valve body, servo, and governor, there is no difference between a high dollar BRF trans core and one from a station wagon.
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:35 AM

What is everyone using for a dust cover on the 200-r4?

I'm seeing really terrible reviews of all the one's I can find online, most are plastic.
I don't bother with them and haven't for 50 years. I consider them just cosmetic. I also like to see whats going on under there when I look. Never had a problem from not having one, and neither has anyone else I know of.

Quick Reply: 200-4r questions