Swapping TH350 for 200-4R

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:39 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Ratdog442
what shifter is everyone using after the conversion?

I am using the stock shifter on my 73. I love the look but doesnt work well when manually shifting the gears. any input would be awesome.

BTW you will love the switch to the 200r4. worth every penny if you are running over a 3.08 gear.
The Hurst Vmatic 3 shifter is a nice one. I have a TCI Fastgate that is too complicated for the women, so I pulled it. I will sell very cheap. I actually went TH350C, even with the factory 2.78 gears, 2400 RPM at 60 mph is too high for my liking, 2100 RPM will be very nice.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ratdog442
what shifter is everyone using after the conversion?
Shiftworks makes a conversion kit so you can use the factory shifter with the 4 speed transmission.

http://www.shiftworks.com/cutlas73-77.htm
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TexasT
That is awesome. I hope he is able to meet and exceed your expectations. Let us know how it turns out.
Well, I drove 55 miles home, mostly highway, from Jimmy's High Performance Transmissions today with my newly rebuilt 200-4R! My car never ran so well! In 30 years of owning Cutlasses, this is the best decision I have made for my car. Jimmy is a perfectionist. His shop is spotless! His price was very fair-much less than I thought I was going to have to spend. He even changed my oil!

He set me up with a lock up that uses an internal Chrysler switch (his innovation) and releases when I'm out of 4th, or slow down below 50mph. No vacuum, no brake switch. There is a small override toggle switch under my dash to manually turn it off, but have not encountered the need yet. He put a shift kit in that chirped the tires going into second when I slammed on it, but was not uncomfortable in normal driving.

I am using the Shiftworks conversion for my Dual-gate and it seems to work fine.

BTW- I have a '72 Supreme Conv. with a 350 bored .040, big cam, headers, 3.42 rear, Flowmasters, and 245/60/R15 tires. The 200-4R bolted right up to the car. The cross member had to be moved, but the frame was already drilled for it.

I did a lot of research before going the route I did. All in all, my car is much more comfortable on the highway and the higher 1st/2nd gears help take off. I recommend this conversion to anyone out there that takes their car on the highway, or wants better gas mileage-as long as you get one done by someone who really knows these transmissions.

Thank you TexasT for your recommendation of Jimmy and thanks to all of you for your great advice and knowledge.

Last edited by Rickglick; March 15th, 2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old March 16th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Jet lagged & Hungry

Awesome. Hopefully mine will be in the car this week. Hopefully mine will be as successful as yours.
congratulations.
Old March 16th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The 2004R is very nice and Jimmy's High Performance has been building them for years. I miss the better gearing and more stall as well. Just need to prioritize 2 grand to go towards the parts to build one properly.
Old March 16th, 2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rickglick
Well, I drove 55 miles home, mostly highway, from Jimmy's High Performance Transmissions today with my newly rebuilt 200-4R! My car never ran so well! In 30 years of owning Cutlasses, this is the best decision I have made for my car. Jimmy is a perfectionist. His shop is spotless! His price was very fair-much less than I thought I was going to have to spend. He even changed my oil!

He set me up with a lock up that uses an internal Chrysler switch (his innovation) and releases when I'm out of 4th, or slow down below 50mph. No vacuum, no brake switch. There is a small override toggle switch under my dash to manually turn it off, but have not encountered the need yet. He put a shift kit in that chirped the tires going into second when I slammed on it, but was not uncomfortable in normal driving.

I am using the Shiftworks conversion for my Dual-gate and it seems to work fine.

BTW- I have a '72 Supreme Conv. with a 350 bored .040, big cam, headers, 3.42 rear, Flowmasters, and 245/60/R15 tires. The 200-4R bolted right up to the car. The cross member had to be moved, but the frame was already drilled for it.

I did a lot of research before going the route I did. All in all, my car is much more comfortable on the highway and the higher 1st/2nd gears help take off. I recommend this conversion to anyone out there that takes their car on the highway, or wants better gas mileage-as long as you get one done by someone who really knows these transmissions.

Thank you TexasT for your recommendation of Jimmy and thanks to all of you for your great advice and knowledge.
Rick, my car is set up very similar to yours except for the Shiftworks Conversion. I love the 200r4 but with the stock shifter I can get 1rst without park or park without first. I have seen some posts that do not recommend the Shiftworks conversion. What is your impression?
Old March 18th, 2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
Rick, my car is set up very similar to yours except for the Shiftworks Conversion. I love the 200r4 but with the stock shifter I can get 1rst without park or park without first. I have seen some posts that do not recommend the Shiftworks conversion. What is your impression?
I'm curious about this question, too...
Old March 18th, 2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
I drove the car today so it is fresh in my mind. It seems to work very well. It is a little different, but I’m sure I will get used to the nuance of shifting to neutral with less ‘room’. All in all, I think it works fine. Certainly the best solution I’ve found for keeping my dual-gate.

I would recommend it.
Old March 24th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rickglick
I drove the car today so it is fresh in my mind. It seems to work very well. It is a little different, but I’m sure I will get used to the nuance of shifting to neutral with less ‘room’. All in all, I think it works fine. Certainly the best solution I’ve found for keeping my dual-gate.

I would recommend it.
Thanks for your feedback! I do not have a dual-gate shifter, but it's good to know how this worked out for you.