55 hydramatic dual range seal puller tools?

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2017, 04:50 PM

55 hydramatic dual range seal puller tools?

It looks like the rear seal on the 55 hydramatic dual range transmission needs three special kent moore tools for its removal and install. J-5946, J-5930, J-5948.
Has anyone ever done this job? Are there tools available to do this? My seal is leaking like crazy, it needs help. Any mechanics in the 18966 area wanna do this job?
Old November 20th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Although that tool is listed as the tool to use I would bet most any transmission shop has a tool to remove it...... Tedd
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:35 PM

11-30-18. I'm needing a seal puller too. I found a seal kit and everything else seems fairly easy to do, but not the rear seal. Why did they have to put it 6 inches up the tail shaft? Did you ever find a tool for removal? I took a piece exhaust pipe and had it expanded just enough to fit over the smaller diameter of the seal and will use that for installation if I can ever get the old one out. Thanks for any info!
Old November 30th, 2018, 05:52 PM

Yes, I did find the puller. I have another thread on this site with all the detail on all the parts u need. Here is a pic of all the parts (below). These parts are what is needed for a 55 Olds Super 88. And yes, this design is a nigjtmare.

i got the tool from Dave Edwards at www.Autotran.us. He is at:
781-449-2065​​​​​​

Dave rented the puller to me for $25 + a $175 deposit which he refunded whem I returmed it. Dave only works part time out of his house so u gotta be a bit patient. He will also send you the installer tool to drive the new one in. You gotta hammer that seal in all the way back.

i found that the reason for my leak was the sleeve that the seal rides on was pitted and scratched. If yours leaks even with a new seal, that may be the problem. Thats a hard part to find, but I did find it by calling Fatsco Transmission (800) 524-0485. Its the 2nd from the left in the pic. Part numbers are there too.

Good Luck!

55 Oldsmobile Hydramatic bearing retainer (tailshaft) seal parts
Old December 2nd, 2018, 07:12 AM

Thanks so much for the info! My trans wasn't leaking too bad, but I wanted to reseal it while it and the engine were out of the car (I rebuilt the engine). The reseal kit came from Fatsco. There was a ton of grease up in the tail housing, I suppose from someone over-greasing the slip yoke (which may have been a good thing). I'll be calling Fatsco now for the sleeve, o-ring and snap ring. I have no idea if my sleeve is pitted as yours was, but as difficult as it is to get too I won't be taking any chances. And I'll be getting in touch with Dave Edwards for the puller.
Thanks again for you info. It has helped me tremendously!
Old December 2nd, 2018, 08:09 AM

Do u have a slant pan hydramatic transmission? Thats what I assumed, just making sure. There shouldnt be grease up in that tail housing.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 02:30 PM

I'm pretty sure mine is flat, but will look to make sure. There is a grease fitting on the slip yoke and I figured that if it got greased too much some of the grease would work past the splines and get into the tail shaft. I was just measuring the ID and OD of the felt dust shield to see if I could match up a C/R seal measurements to use one as a replacement for the old one. Fatsco has told me that they do not have a listing on the original dust shield.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 04:37 PM

Double checked; my bottom pan is slanted rather than flat. I meant to check the slip yoke to see if it had a hole toward the u-joint that would allow excess grease to come out there, but got busy on other things and didn't get around to it. However, as much excess grease as there was on the front suspension and steering parts it's pretty evident that someone wasn't afraid of grease. I did find out that one of the damper springs in the torus cover is broken. Hoping now that Dave Edwards has one or can rebuild mine.
Old December 31st, 2018, 03:17 PM

I got the seal sleeve and o ring from Fatsco as well as one damper spring for the torus cover. Got the spring installed with little trouble, but still waiting on David to let me know about his puller tool. I've called and emailed. I know he's busy, but I may have to resort to some other way to get the old seal out.
Old December 31st, 2018, 03:21 PM

Fatsco had told me when I ordered the seal kit back in June that they were not able to get the felt dust shield. I found one on e-bay through high-performance international. The e-bay item number is 273523906466 and sells for $22.99 in case you need one.
Old December 31st, 2018, 04:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

All 54's and 55's are slantpans. A tailshaft seal for a 54 is the same inside and outside diameter as the dustshield on the 55. However the seal is a little thicker than the dustshield. My 54 has a 55 transmission in it and I just had the real seal replaced. The transmission was rebuilt in February 2017 but the spring came out of the seal and it leaked like crazy. It was very annoying and made my garage smell like transmission fluid. They did have to pull the transmission to replace the seal. I also replaced the bushing that goes against the seal. Fatsco had an NOS one still in the old GM package. The bushings are pretty rare since nobody reproduces them. I make a 500 mile round trip in it and not leaks. Not even a drop. Not I have to start on the oil leaks.
Old January 1st, 2019, 09:47 AM

Since the trans had to be pulled to replace the seal, I hope warranty took care of the charge! If you're talking about stopping oil leaks in the engine you can find a rubber rear seal to replace the old rope type. I don't remember the name of the company, but pretty sure that if you Google vintage auto gaskets and seals you can find the company. They won't sell directly to you, but will tell you where to find them. Fusick may offer it. I also found rubber valve cover gaskets on e-bay: idaholc is the seller, the e-bay item number is 392119944043. I haven't put them on yet since I'm waiting to finish the trans seal and paint to put it and the engine back in the car, but they look like they'll do a much better job of sealing than the old cork/rubber type.