Abf

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2017, 11:40 PM
ABF

Abf

Hello, newbie from Ferndale WA, longtime Olds owner, found & started restoring a 70W30. When I took the front grill, headlights, & headlight buckets off I noticed on the panel there are 2 factory cutouts on the panel about the size of a silver dollar. Someone told me these holes are for the lines to a factory transmission cooler. A seperate unit that sits either beside or in front of the rad. Supposedly this was an option available for a automatic tranny.
Can anybody confirm this for me? Can anybody tell me where it was located? Does anybody have a pic they could send me or better yet does anybody have an original tranny cooler, lines, & brackets for this car? Or can another Olds cooler work or is similar?
Thanks for your help, Abe
Old May 21st, 2017, 09:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

RPO M55, Oil Cooler, Automatic Transmission Auxiliary. A $15.80 option in 1970.
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:37 PM
ABF

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
RPO M55, Oil Cooler, Automatic Transmission Auxiliary. A $15.80 option in 1970.
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:01 PM
ABF

Thanks Joe for the quick reply, any chance you might have a pic or diagram of the cooler & location. I'm trying to restore the car to original. Would you happen to know if another year or model would have the same option? ie Vista cruiser? 68-72 model years?
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ABF
Thanks Joe for the quick reply, any chance you might have a pic or diagram of the cooler & location. I'm trying to restore the car to original. Would you happen to know if another year or model would have the same option? ie Vista cruiser? 68-72 model years?
The cooler was optional on all 68-72 cars. The diagram is in the Product Information Manual (Assembly Manual). I don't have one handy at the moment.

And since I have to maintain my smart@$$ reputation, I'll point out that if the car didn't come from the factory with the cooler, adding one now means it is no longer "original".

In reality, the cooler was also available as a dealer-installed item after delivery of the car.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:18 AM
ABF

70W30 tranny cooler

Hey Joe thanks for the info, if you ever come across one please let me know.
As for the smart%#! reputation keep it going,, I have to choose the correct words you're right in saying it's not original, what I meant to say restore it to factory specs, as I can see the car has factory cut outs next to the rad/ headlight panel. They are clean stamped out holes from the factory, not some sloppy, uneven cutouts made from a acetylene torch @ a dealers shop.
Am I correct in assuming these cut outs are from the factory & were made for the transmission cooler lines to pass thru from the tranny & back to the cooler?
Or are the cutouts used for something else?