I Did It Myself (Hydramatic)

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2017, 06:12 PM

I Did It Myself (Hydramatic)

A while back I posted here about my 1952 Super 88 Hydramatic. It didn't work. So, I pulled the box and tore it down. I bought the kit from Fatsco w/o steel plates for $297. Never built an auto trans. Put it all together, then read something about checking the oil delivery sleeve with a paper clip. I'm pretty thorough, but thought I might have missed doing that. Started teardown at 2:30. Turns out I did clear it. Had it all back together by 6:00
Installed it last week. Fortunately a very kind member of this forum sold me an external Hydramatic band adjuster.
The torus seal looked good and was pliable, so I used it and the og ring.
Installed 11 qts and had a fairly decent leak there upon startup. That leak has slowed by 75%, but I will pull the box again and survey the area. I have a new OE seal. No biggy.
Today I pulled the engine pan and oil screen. Jeez. Now I have 40lbs at cold idle and about 20lbs at 181 degrees which is where the temp seems to stay. 30wt. Some blowby, but it's an old car.
I don't still quite have the bands perfect but the very coolest thing is that I can now have neutral. Then I can reverse out of the park spot. Then I can put the lever into drive and she goes good! I tore around the truckyard here and got it up to about 30mph, (I have no brakes), and bingo, the darn thing shifts into the next gear and off I go.
So considering that the valve body was jammed with varnish and took quite a bit to clean up and rework, I am a happy camper.
I will watch the leak for now. As I said it has gone to a few drips, and maybe a silver $ size pool after 10 minutes. No worry. I'll redo it. Robert
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear you conquered your trans. I have never messed with one of those.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Phantom Phixer

Congrats , nice job !
I have often maintained , that a person with good mechanical skills . Can read the shop manual . Gather the necessary tools and parts . And successfully overhaul one of these archaic transmissions.
You have just proved my point .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; May 14th, 2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

In aa few years people will have to overhaul their own since there won't be anybody left that knows anything about them. I was fortunate to find a guy 77 years old that did a great job. He had to get somebody else to pull it and put it in the back of his truck and put it back in. He did an outstanding job.
Old May 14th, 2017, 08:49 PM

I can understand that! The hardest part was getting the 275lb transmission up onto the low lift trans jack. I had the car on ramps. Figured if the box rolled off, move out of the way quick! But it didn't.
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:50 AM

Great to hear! Did you seal up the crankshaft and flywheel, along with the crank bolts? On my hydros, I use a gasket between the crank and flywheel. It works better than the sealer that is recommended.
Old May 16th, 2017, 07:22 PM

nice job!!
Old May 16th, 2017, 07:46 PM

I did not seal up the flywheel. I did not see an issue there presently, but it is always a good idea to do preventive work. I am going to do brakes this weekend. I need to tow it down to the Highway Patrol for verification as I only have a bill of sale. That is what the DMV said to do to get registration started. Being parked for so many years in a barn, it is out of the system and the plates are long gone. But the ID# plate is there and clear. Bought it from a guy who loads my truck at the quarry. Once registered I can take it out on the road.
I did however run it around the dirt track, er, I mean the truckyard again after work yesterday, and got enough speed to get it into the 3rd high speed. So, low then next speed, and then the next higher after that.
A torquey beast I must say. Lotta fun!