Cutlass Supreme 70 - Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2017, 06:23 AM

Cutlass Supreme 70 - Transmission question

Hi Fellows - I have a 70's Cutlass Supreme 350 4bbl. and my transmission fluid started to leak. While looking at the seals with my mechanic we decided to open up the trans. oil pan and found a ton of metal debris which according to the mechanic is a sign the trans. is about to go so he advised me to wait until the transmission goes in order to change the seals otherwise I would be spending few hundred dollars now and again once transmission goes. This was a couple weeks ago, this past Sunday I drove the car for about 20 miles and once stopped I noticed trans. fluid pouring out through the seal, honestly I have never seen that much oil leaking at once but then it stopped and is back to the regular drops. But I am hesitant to drive the car so am considering getting a new transmission to get it over with. So after all this blabber her are my questions;
Have anyone ever experienced a major trans. leak and kept driving once the fluid is replenished without causing major harm and is it OK to purchase a trans from place like Autozone?
According to my mechanic the current transmission is not original so not sure if rebuilding it is worth it.
Any feed back is appreciated, thanks.
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Administrator

I don't understand how the trans can leak a bunch of fluid and then you refill it and does not leak again. The metal in the pan is small piles is normal. If the transmission is not slipping, the fluid is a pretty red color and smelling burnt then I would assume its fine. Which seal is leaking?

If the transmission does need a rebuild, why not just rebuild yours?
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:52 AM

That is oddity of it all, it was leaking oil daily through the front/main seal but small amounts compared to what happened Sunday, I would say that at least a quart of oil leaked in a period of 5 minutes, it was gashing out and then stopped and this was Sunday and ever since it's back to the regular drops.
The trans. is slipping a bit and I will consider rebuilding it.
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:56 AM

Is the vent plugged
Old April 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM

now you got me, I am novice at this so not sure. Where should I be looking to find this vent? And if I find it what do I plug with? Thanks.
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Administrator

The vent is a short bent tube on top and around the center of the trans. You can push a thin flexible wire into it.
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Just to be clear, you are not trying to plug the vent pipe, but unplug it by sticking a small wire in it and wiggling it around to get the grime and debris out of it.

Also, could it be possible you overfilled it?
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:52 AM

Thank you, this is helpful. I will look at the vent tube, as far a possible overfill that is also a possibility but I would have to blame my mechanic for that since he serviced the transmission last month.
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:49 AM
ph_ckstick1

My bet is it was a little over filled after the pan was pulled.. and it leaked,
Also the new fluid used would have cleaned the seals of junk before it had a chance to soften the seals..
The cleaning showed how bad the seals truly are, then the fluid additives softened the seals and it slowed the leak..

Back when people would use that engine flush and drain crap in a can before an oil change, then after the engine would leak everywhere.. From all the crap being cleaned out..
Old May 14th, 2017, 04:59 PM

Now that it's stopped leaking so bad and back to dripping,check the fluid level. If it's at full it was probably overfilled. Rule that out then it may be as suggested above the new fluid thing. To answer your question on adding and driving, for one the bottom of your car will be a mess as well as smelling as it burns off the exhaust. If it gets lower than you think, it can't be good for it to run on low fluid.
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:12 PM

When you check the trans fluid level read your owners manual to insure you are doing it correctly
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:58 AM

Thanks - It seems that it was overfilled b/c since then it has been back to the usual drips and the fluid level shows as full. Gary, you are right about the smell, I take it for a few miles drive and I can smell the burned oil and it is even stronger when I park it back in the garage, I am biting the bullet but may be just a matter of time before I have to rebuild it.