Transmission Upgrade Q's

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2017, 01:14 PM

Transmission Upgrade Q's

I'm trying to decide what route to take on the transmission in my '70 Cutlass S. Engine is a stock 350 with plans to upgrade from 2 bbl to a QJet and from single to dual exhaust this year. I have a 2800 stall torque converter to go in as well. Car will be mostly street driven, rarely drag raced except maybe to see how it runs a time or two.

I'm about to remove it's current engine to install the 350, and debating swapping transmissions between the cars as well, so looking for some opinions on the merits (or lack thereof) of different courses of action.

Donor car is a '72 Cutlass S, and has a TH350 with B&M shift kit installed. I don't recall what specific one right now, but have the identifying documentation in the car. I drove the car about an hour home, on the highway, and around town a bit when I first got it so I know the transmission functions fine.

My original thought was to swap that transmission in, as it already has the shift kit. I'm also reading the B&M isn't as reliable as the Transgo option.

Would it make more sense time/work/dependability to leave the transmissions alone and install the Transgo in the car I'm keeping?

As far as Transgo products go, which kit would be best for a street car? A shift kit or a reprogramming kit?

I've read about the DIY shift "kit"s, but I'm not interested in going that route.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Have you driven the car with the trans your going to swap? Does it shift ok with the B&M kit? If not and in the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" drive the swap trans a bit and see if it works for you before jumping in there with the transgo kit.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Have you driven the car with the trans your going to swap? Does it shift ok with the B&M kit? If not and in the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" drive the swap trans a bit and see if it works for you before jumping in there with the transgo kit.

I've driven both cars, although not a whole bunch.

I drove the car with the B&M kit in it home, about an hour on the highway with various stops/accelerations, then around town a bit until insurance expired. Transmission shifted fine.

The car I'm keeping, I drove about 15 minutes home and that stock transmission also felt fine with a 260ci driving it.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Administrator

The other thing is, is the 350 modified and with enough cam to warrant the 2800 stall TC?
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The other thing is, is the 350 modified and with enough cam to warrant the 2800 stall TC?
Just what I noted above. It was rebuilt but the specs appear to be stock. Currently has a dualjet, single exhaust but I'll be upgrading to QJet and dual exhaust this year. Not suited for a 2800?

Eventually upgrading to a 455 with TH400, but that's kinda irrelevant I guess, lol.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Administrator

2800 is a lot of converter for a stock engine.
Old April 18th, 2017, 02:01 PM
same but different

I wouldn't think much about a higher stall converter at this point either.
The TM350 is a good unit. As long as it working and leak free, your doing good. It'll handle most of what you're throw at it for now.

I'd just rather use that money for some other upgrade at this point. For example, a rear gear change, a 4bbl and dual exhaust or cam and lifters and finally maybe better pistons for more compression for that build down the road some time.
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:13 PM

Good to know about the converter. Already have it, unused rebuilt from a good local shop, picked it up cheap from my brother a couple years ago. I'll leave it on the shelf for now.

Already have the carb and intake (needs a rebuild) so just the exhaust to pay. I have a LSD rear end to swap into the car at some point but that's down the list for now. I was thinking I would do it at the same time the 455/400 go in. I don't plan to sink much money into this current drive train so I'm just looking to improve driving fun in the interim.

And that be why I'm looking at the cheap and easy transmission modification. I can get a B&M Shift "Improver" kit for $45 Cdn this month if I decide to go that route on the transmission currently in the car.
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Administrator

To be honest I would leave the trans alone since your going to change everything down the road. With a stock engine and gear set, its not going to make much difference.