jetaway trans

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2017, 05:30 PM
rocketlover

Unhappy jetaway trans

Can anyone help???? My 58 jetaway drops out of drive. if I stop the car and start over it shifts thru the gears like is supposed to but drops out shortly. Can it be repaired without removing the trans??? There has never been any slipping
or bad shifting.
ED
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ed burke
Can anyone help???? My 58 jetaway drops out of drive. if I stop the car and start over it shifts thru the gears like is supposed to but drops out shortly. Can it be repaired without removing the trans??? There has never been any slipping
or bad shifting.
ED
Dunno if it helps or not, but I had issues with my jetaway not shifting right and the problem was the electric switch attached to the throttle linkage. Mine had been connected backwards at some point before I owned the car. If yours has not been molested I'm thinking you could have a bit of corrosion inside the switch. I took my switch apart trying to identify the problem and found a good deal of scale and corrosion build-up in the bottom of the housing. Not enough to cause a short, but if enough builds up I imagine it would cause problems. Check your switch with a meter to make sure it is working right, could be that simple.

Edited to add, mine is in a '67 Cutlass, not sure if it would be the same as your '58.
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Edited to add, mine is in a '67 Cutlass, not sure if it would be the same as your '58.
It's not. The 1950s Jetaway is a completely different four speed automatic and has NOTHING in common with the 1960s two speed trans of the same name.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ed burke
or bad shifting.
ED
Remove pan and check the manual lever and the detent plate and spring.
Sounds like the manual lever is moving ever so slightly into Neutral, which is adajacent to DR. Might just be a simple adjustment.

Also check the motor mounts, as it is possible that the engine is torqueing in a direction that would move enough to put the transmission manual lever linkage into a Neutral position.

Try this in S range and see if it still drops out.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:37 AM

D2 It's good to see you back on this board, your knowledge is much appreciated....Tedd
Old April 4th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by d2_willys
Remove pan and check the manual lever and the detent plate and spring.
Sounds like the manual lever is moving ever so slightly into Neutral, which is adajacent to DR. Might just be a simple adjustment.

Also check the motor mounts, as it is possible that the engine is torqueing in a direction that would move enough to put the transmission manual lever linkage into a Neutral position.

Try this in S range and see if it still drops out.
This is an excellent place to begin. If that's the problem, it will be a relative easy fix.