I'll Do It Myself

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM

I'll Do It Myself

Pulled the Hydra-Matic on my '52 Super. Was hoping to find a good used to bolt in. Was given a real nice clean Slant Pan from a '55, but mainshaft splines not the same. One shop said $1300. One shop wanted $3900.(with 30 new torus bolts!). Special tools? I think I can make what is needed. Took both boxes to a shop today for advice. The only advice was to leave them until the gentlemans' Dad arrived. Went back and loaded them back into my car as he never arrived. I am doing it myself.
So far after dinner tonight, Valve body off, and relief valve out. Looks pretty straight forward. Fusick has a master kit and Fastco, I think, on ebay has a kit. Really great video on utube by Weber. Great teacher.
Looks to be a fun project. I will let you guys know how it went. Robert
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:38 AM
72 Olds CS

YouTube is fantastic for learning about a procedure before diving in!!! Later today I need to replace my front wheel bearing and 4wd actuator on my Trk. I reviewed the procedure on YouTube and picked up a couple good tips.

Good luck w your trans
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Keep a look for wear on the Torus bushing surface. Sun gear and clutch baskets
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:57 PM

Thanks. I will be looking for wear in those areas as well as bushings etc. Was pretty busy today so only had enough time to remove the servos and front pump, as well as the gear with shaft behind it which appears to interact with 4 planet gears. Filthy filthy dirty. Once I undo some six bolts looks like I can remove the rear assembly. Pretty fun really.
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:02 PM

I do have another trans here for parts. It is a slant pan however. Looks really beautiful inside. Dual drum. Not sure how much is interchangeable. If I could just change out the mainshaft and the secondary shaft, I would run that trans. As I say, I just don't know how much is interchangeable. I have gauges for setting end play, and shims are available. Learning experience.
Old March 19th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by theold52
I do have another trans here for parts. It is a slant pan however. Looks really beautiful inside. Dual drum. Not sure how much is interchangeable. If I could just change out the mainshaft and the secondary shaft, I would run that trans. As I say, I just don't know how much is interchangeable. I have gauges for setting end play, and shims are available. Learning experience.
If you need to know what fits what just PM me.
I have an Olds parts book that covers these well .
Always glad to help a fellow Olds enthusiast .

BTW an "old" friend has a few Hydra-Matic tools that he might want to sell .
I'll check with him , and PM you with the details .
Old March 28th, 2017, 07:50 PM

So far I have disassembled the flat pan. Put that on one steel table. Then disassembled the slant pan and put that on another table in the shop. Pulled assemblies apart and put them back together a few times for practice.
Simple enough. Ordered the major kit (minus plates) from Fatsco, and the bushing kit from Fusick. Going to rebuild my flat pan first. The slant was all rebuilt but rear drum piston bush is wasted. Will replace it before re assembling. So far dipped and cleaned and reassembled front and rear servos and governor. The varnish was 3/16 thick in some places. Governor was jammed up. Took an overnight soak to free it up. Reverse lockout soaking tonight with the valve body assembly partially disassembled here on the kitchen table. Pretty fun really. Not too complicated. Robert
Old March 29th, 2017, 04:15 AM

kudos for doing this project yourself !i always said the only person i can rely and depend on is megood luck with it