Midwest Converters Review

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2016, 03:44 PM

Midwest Converters Review

I just thought I'd pass along my experience with Midwest Converters in Rockford Illinois. This is who built my 200-4r.

Over the phone they were very nice and patient with all my questions. Greg, my initial contact person even talked me out of things he felt I didn't need; such as when I wanted to pay an extra $700 for a GN core.
FOr the warranty he said if a problem was obviously their fault it would be one year parts and labor, if it was questionable as to who was at fault, it would be one year parts, if it was obviously my fault, they would "work with me".

I drove the two hours to Rockford, picked up the trans and took it to our local shop; I wanted it done right. It's a large operation but in a small town (two shops in two different small towns, actually). It's connected to the Napa where I do A LOT of shopping so they know me pretty well. The owner of the shop told his mechanics "nobody touches this but me!", lol. But he was cool and let me help with the install (mostly I just watched and held the light). After we had it installed (in about 40 minutes) we adjusted the TV cable together. I insisted since I spent about a week reading all the websites including the entire TV-made-easy site's articles. We had a little preload on the cable and all in at WOT. WE took it for a spin and it wouldn't go into 2nd gear. Stopped, made an adjustment, same thing. Stopped, repeated, same thing. By now it was closing time so I pulled the car home with a tow strap (I was desperate and it was the holiday weekend).
I reread everything and the setup was right. I installed the pressure gauge and was only getting 30-35 lbs in all gears at all rpms with varying tv adjustments. Even with the cable hand-pulled all the way!

The following Tuesday I called and talked to the owner of MC and he was very understanding and apologetic; saying there was really nothing we could have done wrong. The next Thursday, I drove up to swap units. When I got there we talked for a bit and he told me they went ahead and made some upgrades; better core, billet drum (which they talked me out of), red (something) clutches, etc. Then we put the bad unit on the bench and two of the builders started taking it apart. They immediately found a stuck "something" in the pump. At this point we were all talking and joking and laughing and I was happy seeing a trans taken apart and knowing it wasn't my fault. At this point someone rolled out my new trans and put it in my truck so I thought it would be a good time to mention, just in passing really, what a drag it was that I just paid $500 to have it installed and that I would be out that cash. At the same time the builder found a burned 3-4 clutch pack. THIS IS WHEN THE ATMOSPHERE CHANGED. The owner accused me of burning out that clutch pack, saying that once the trans slipped, even a little, I should have pulled over and had it towed (I wasn't even driving, the mechanic was). He got angrier and angrier saying that it was going to cost him $300-$400 to have the unit rebuilt. I argued but he went in his office and shut the door. Sorry, but he was quite an ***!

At this point the two builders walked me to my truck and told me not to worry, it wasn't my fault. And as it turned out, I'm now text-friends with the fellow that built my replacement. A VERY cool guy. This was important because having spent my install money, I now had to do it myself.

So, to wrap this up; the replacement is in (I tore something in my shoulder doing it), and is running just fine. Would I go back to MC? Not on your life! I would, however, contact my new friend that just might do work on the side.
The upshot to MC for me was that I was able to drive the defective unit back and pick up the replacement; rather than having to ship to Florida or California from central Illinois. That was a time saver. And although a defective trans from one of the other vendors is less likely, it is possible.

Last edited by Macadoo; June 6th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old June 6th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Hey btw I might be able to help you with your ring gear install. Glad to hear it's working now.
Old June 6th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm surprised to hear this about Midwest Converters, 80 rocket spoke highly of them when we were talking engine builds/trans.
I hate to hear horror stories such as this.
Good to hear you made a friend while sorting out the trans issues.
Sounds like you got a much better unit, happy to hear its working now Mac.
Eric
Old June 6th, 2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Hey btw I might be able to help you with your ring gear install. Glad to hear it's working now.
I'm thinking maybe next week. Kind of depends, I probably need to order new control arm bushings.

Originally Posted by 76olds
I'm surprised to hear this about Midwest Converters, 80 rocket spoke highly of them when we were talking engine builds/trans.
I hate to hear horror stories such as this.
Good to hear you made a friend while sorting out the trans issues.
Sounds like you got a much better unit, happy to hear its working now Mac.
Eric
Maybe it was just a bad day? Still, it would have been nice if they offered some sort of compensation for the install fee. Even if just to split it down the middle. As it was, I had to remove the old and install the new myself.
The last thing the owner said before going in his office and ignoring me was "I'm not going to sell any more of these damn transmissions unless I can install them myself!" That was very accusatory in my book.
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:15 PM

Glad to hear it worked out ok in the end but that was a bummer. My hecho en Mexico ATK engine died with 282 miles on it and they tried everything to blame me but the cam bearings hanging out of the block pointed the finger squarely at them. For what it's worth the guy who builds my transmissions works on them from 5-9 as he works for the local trans shop from 9-5. I'd keep the info for the builder who works at Midwest Converters...sounds like he'll do right by you.
How/what happened with your shoulder? I assume you were using a trans jack?
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:54 PM

Oh I dunno; doc said I strained the AC joint. Maybe a slight tear in the ligament. How'd I do it? I got old! Lol. Nothing really happened. It was like "ouch, that's a little sore. Hey, it's getting worse. OMG, I really messed something up!" All in about 90 seconds.
I have a trans jack but we had to drag the trans under the car, slowly build it up onto 2x4s, and slide it onto the jack. I had my 6-ton stands at one before the last rung and it was way too low.
Old June 7th, 2016, 07:43 AM

Yeah, gotta check pressures with the gauge BEFORE driving the car. Fire it up in park, ensure pressure starts to build immediately when pulling the TV cable. Any pressure problems will cause it to burn clutches more or less immediately.

Still their fault that the pump (or valve) stuck in the first place. The test drive made it worse, but they're only out $10 in clutches.
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:12 AM

Out the labor, just like op is. Transmissions are difficult. No high performance stuff is easy but the tv cable wasn't at fault here.

on a side note, Mr oddball, do you come out to any gtg in the DFW area? I'd like to meet you and see your ride. The car n coffee thing, or kellers on sat night or something else you attend?
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:22 AM

BTW God clutches cost upwards of 2 to 3 dollars per clutch not to mention the steels.
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:54 AM

I spent about 3-4 time that much for the hp stage 1 red raybestos for the direct. The other expensive thing was $20 for a carbon band. The rest I used regular tans as they are not shifting clutches except the od. And I didn't think I would be doing a lot of wot as I shifts into od. I probably should have had the piston cut and added and extra clutch but ill do that on the next one. The most expensive thing was the sonnax servo, though I probably should have bought a billet shaft forward drum, but I'm cheap. Another of the on the next one.

Last edited by TexasT; June 7th, 2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Knowing you personally and the kind of straight-up guy you are, for MC to provide you with a defective (and obviously untested) rebuild, then gripe about the level of damage their defective rebuild job caused upon itself, and then have the gall to say what he did as a parting shot, your head must have exploded. Further, the owner seems more than prepared with the one-liners so he's been in this situation many times and he has an answer for everything.

Let's hope you'll get many years of use out of this one. It's the least you should get after all of the bull&#@! you went through.

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Maybe it was just a bad day? Still, it would have been nice if they offered some sort of compensation for the install fee. Even if just to split it down the middle. As it was, I had to remove the old and install the new myself.
The last thing the owner said before going in his office and ignoring me was "I'm not going to sell any more of these damn transmissions unless I can install them myself!" That was very accusatory in my book.
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by oddball
Yeah, gotta check pressures with the gauge BEFORE driving the car. Fire it up in park, ensure pressure starts to build immediately when pulling the TV cable. Any pressure problems will cause it to burn clutches more or less immediately.

Still their fault that the pump (or valve) stuck in the first place. The test drive made it worse, but they're only out $10 in clutches.
I told him that I spent the extra money on a pressure gauge and asked what pressures he preferred. His exact words were "Oh no, you don't need to check pressures. We did all that for you. Just hook it up and drive it." I shoulda' listened to my gut.

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
BTW God clutches cost upwards of 2 to 3 dollars per clutch not to mention the steels.
The steels looked fine to me. No discoloration or distortion that I could see. But it was also my first time seeing a steel, so what do I know, lol.

Originally Posted by dalilama
Knowing you personally and the kind of straight-up guy you are, for MC to provide you with a defective (and obviously untested) rebuild, then gripe about the level of damage their defective rebuild job caused upon itself, and then have the gall to say what he did as a parting shot, your head must have exploded. Further, the owner seems more than prepared with the one-liners so he's been in this situation many times and he has an answer for everything.

Let's hope you'll get many years of use out of this one. It's the least you should get after all of the bull&#@! you went through.
Haha, thanks Brian. You think more of me than than I deserve. But yeah, there was no reason to be a dick about it. But I guess one doesn't get to own a large business like that by being "nice".

The replacement is in, dialed in, and running good. Now for those 3.73s

PS: The wife thinks the car burned up the trans on purpose because I let someone else work on her. This was the first time I called uncle and took her to a shop. My bad.
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by dalilama

I agree 100%!! Your a straight shooter Mac with no dishonesty.
Call it a bad day or not @ MWC, It sounds like his business is beginning or has been struggling for him to react in such poor manor. When a business man begins to react in that manor its usually because something is failing in life.
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Yeah, he was stressed out about something, that's for sure. And the builders took the attitude of "oh no, not again".
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:40 PM

Im gonna say the guy was stressed out because he got called out on the spot by his employees pretty much. I know a few friends of mine who have had converters built by them and they dont stand by their work or need multiple times to get it right . I had better luck with a 180 dollar 3000 stall 10 in. conveter from an ebay vendor than my buddy who spent 400 on a 4000 stall and it stalled closer to mine. I personally have heard one too many bad stories to confidently go to them.
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by TexasT
on a side note, Mr oddball, do you come out to any gtg in the DFW area? I'd like to meet you and see your ride. The car n coffee thing, or kellers on sat night or something else you attend?
Haven't taken the mule to any public activities yet, but I do drive to work whenever the weather permits (like today). Does the DFW group have anything planned?

http://cutlass.oddworld.org
Old June 8th, 2016, 04:27 PM

Who is in the DFW group? I am in south Arlington, but I come to kellers on northwest highway when some of my car friends gtg. I've been trying to get to a cars n coffee but haven't made it to one yet. They have a Christian car show once a month off hwy 26 but that is a little far for you .