lost drive

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2015, 08:40 AM

lost drive

455 3 speed auto with reverse manual body. Hurst quarter stick
  • Drove the car less than a mile to the food store without any issues. 1st, 2nd, 3rd - no issues.
  • Started the car without any issues and backed out of my spot without any issues.
  • Shifted into 2nd without any issues as i moved through the parking lot.
  • Stopped at the traffic light and shifted into first without any problems
  • Went on my merry way and shifted into 1st, then second, and when pulled the lever and went into third it felt spongy and immediately heard a light rattle (only reason i heard it was because of the parked cars to my left) and a small puff of black smoke.

I instantly let of the gas and costed to the light.
Engine sounds fine, not noises, heat, no odd idle, etc.
Felt light i was in 2nd and could push up to first. The shifter would let me easy pull back to 3rd but it clearly did not shift into third.

So I babied it back the .5 mile to my garage and had a wonderful time laying on the ground moving the lever into N and K parking the car by hand.

oh and when in the garage I finally found reverse when i was trying to park but then i could NOT find any drive gears. Flipped it into neutral from under the car by hand and started the pushing and chocking steps to get it where i needed it. So i had drive, at least 2nd i believe, then when i found revers I could not get it back into any gear from using the shifter. I could flip the plate to neutral from under though.

I pulled the shifter cover off and did not notice anything broken, hanging off, etc.

WTF did i do?
think the trans is toast?
think the linkage/cable crapped out?
burnt up a clutch?
Fluid looks clean and full.

I now you guys really can tell whats wrong with it but i needed to vent to someone. thanks for listening.

Last edited by 71CutlassS455; August 15th, 2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old August 15th, 2015, 06:25 PM

you have to be kidding me!! The shift cable failed near the trans. How does a steel line snapped in 2. Wonder how often that happens. Look like it is a normal Hurst cable. Ordered a new one, hope nothing else is wrong besides this.