Thinking about transmission rebuild..

Old July 18th, 2015, 10:24 AM

Thinking about transmission rebuild..

1985 delta 88

So I'm thinking about trying to rebuild my automatic transmission myself. I'm no mechanic but Im somewhat handy. And my friend who is a mechanic is going to help.
Anybody out there have experience rebuilding transmission? It has overdrive, Idk if that makes a rebuild any different. Is there any special tools I would need? And is there a manual or something available for that? Im pretty scared about doing it but I want to be able to say that I can rebuild a transmission! And is there a kit or something with all the parts to do the rebuild? If so, where do you guys recommend I get it from? THANKS!

Last edited by Copper Nine Eight; July 18th, 2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by WB8588
1985 delta 88

So I'm thinking about trying to rebuild my automatic transmission myself. I'm no mechanic but Im somewhat handy. And my friend who is a mechanic is going to help.
Anybody out there have experience rebuilding transmission? It has overdrive, Idk if that makes a rebuild any different. Is there any special tools I would need? And is there a manual or something available for that? Im pretty scared about doing it but I want to be able to say that I can rebuild a transmission! And is there a kit or something with all the parts to do the rebuild? If so, where do you guys recommend I get it from? THANKS!
I'm assuming your 85 has a 200-4R? If so, this is probably not a project for the first-time trans rebuilder. The 200-4R requires some specialized tools or else special techniques to get around using the factory tools. If you have your heart set on it, I would spend the $80 and buy the 200-4R rebuild and modification manual from CKPerfromance. This will give you a much better idea of both the effort involved and the techniques and tools required for this particular trans.
Old July 18th, 2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm assuming your 85 has a 200-4R? If so, this is probably not a project for the first-time trans rebuilder. The 200-4R requires some specialized tools or else special techniques to get around using the factory tools. If you have your heart set on it, I would spend the $80 and buy the 200-4R rebuild and modification manual from CKPerfromance. This will give you a much better idea of both the effort involved and the techniques and tools required for this particular trans.
Thanks man! My heart is really set on it
Old July 18th, 2015, 04:06 PM

read the procedure first
I have done some like that, ended up taking quite a while to make the various special tools required to compress the clutch packs &c., then I ended up nicking a seal ring which has to be convinced in against the lip with a loop of music wire, and I had to remove the trans from the car again and put another seals kit in. Into all the clutches.
Old July 18th, 2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
read the procedure first
I have done some like that, ended up taking quite a while to make the various special tools required to compress the clutch packs &c., then I ended up nicking a seal ring which has to be convinced in against the lip with a loop of music wire, and I had to remove the trans from the car again and put another seals kit in. Into all the clutches.
I plan on going into the job, level minded. Read the procedure's first and stuff.. but you know how it gets and you get all excited and just want to start working.
Old July 21st, 2015, 05:21 PM

I'm kinda handy too, and I assembled a 2004r as my first(and only so far) trans build. As above, get the ck book. Also might look into an atsg manual. I kind of pieced a "kit" together, and bought from several suppliers. If you want to one stop shop it I would call David Husek at turbobuick perdormance. He will put together a comprehansive kit and provide service after the sale.
I think it is much easier with the low/rev tool but know of many who did without. Compressing clutch Pack I did with a hydraulic press but there are other ways.
I say go for it.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/transmission/94130-200-4r-rebuild.html

Last edited by TexasT; July 21st, 2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old July 21st, 2015, 05:54 PM

http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9724