Clutch problems 70 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2015, 02:15 PM

Clutch problems 70 Cutlass

I have a 70 cutlass, 4 speed with I believe to be , a Center Force clutch.
I didn't install it myself and actually have no idea who did. I cannot shift into reverse with the engine running. I tried adjusting the stock clutch adjusting rod longer (to get more movement) and hopefully get the clutch to disengage more. No luck, still a bit of freeplay 3/4 inch, but it only made matters worse. It will shift freely when the car is moving (which of course it should,) but when stopped it won't shift into any gear unless I shut her off.

I don't know what throw out bearing was installed , (I know there were two for 70 Cutlass V8s) but did the installer put the wrong (Shorter/narrower one) in and cause this conundrum?

I have a longer clutch adjusting rod for aftermarket clutches, and am going to try it when I get a chance.

Any advice or a solution to my problem would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Bunser; May 24th, 2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old May 24th, 2015, 03:08 PM

The free play has to be there to jeep the throwout bearing from spinning all the time. A warped clutch disc can cause your symptom.
Old May 24th, 2015, 03:51 PM

Did you check the air gap?

Remove the inspection cover, and have someone depress the clutch pedal.

You should have at least .030" of a gap between the clutch disc and the flywheel.

Without the air gap, the input shaft spins and prevents the reverse synchros from working.

Another issue could be the pilot bearing is binding on the input shaft.
Old May 26th, 2015, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I took the inspection cover off and watched as the clutch was depressed and released. The pressure plate appeared to have enough movement, however the damn clutch disc didn't follow it's lead. It appears to me that somehow the clutch disc is binding on the shaft, just enough to hang up.
I guess I'll have to pull the transmission and take the clutch apart to get to the bottom of things.
Old May 26th, 2015, 12:35 PM

There is nothing that actually pulls the disc away from the flywheel. Not having the pressure from the plate is enough to let it slip. I have seen and fixed many vehicles that sat and the disc had to be pried loose from the flywheel, and you should be able to do this with the clutch depressed. Does it the car lurch any when you start it in gear with clutch pedal down? It could hang on the input shaft as well, or as said above the shaft can hang in the pilot bearing. I would pull it and check, not a bad job to do if you're handy.