65 Jetstar Speedo Cable

Old May 14th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Green Horn

65 Jetstar Speedo Cable

I wasn't really sure what topic this fit under so i put it here.

I was told the the speedo cable for the jetstar originally went to the front wheel? Not sure if that's true or not, but I swapped out the Jetway 2 speed for a th350 and I need a speedo cable for the car, I've never had one since i owned it, but since i'm trying to sell it I figured I'd install one.

Any idea on what size I would need? Can I just get any generic speedo cable that will mount to the 350?

Thanks,
shawn
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:55 AM

true, and yes, probably

get ingenious

be sure to match upper end to speedo connection. Probably a Cutlass one will do.
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by Octania
true, and yes, probably

get ingenious

be sure to match upper end to speedo connection. Probably a Cutlass one will do.
Thanks for the reply. I guess maybe i'm over looking the problem. In theory my speedometer cable should still work if hooked to the front wheel. I see it's connected but not working.

Anybody know what to search for when trying to find one? All i can find are the speedometer cables that attach to the transmission, not the LH front wheel.
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:29 AM

The speedometer cable runs through the inside of the spindle, and is driven by the dust cap. You should be able to pop the dust cap off, and turn the cable enough to actuate the speedometer. Also make sure the cable is fitting in the back of the dust cover, and that its not damaged.
Old May 17th, 2015, 01:44 PM

that fitting can be tough to find, the thing that connects dust cap to cable core.

"I guess maybe i'm over looking the problem. In theory my speedometer cable should still work if hooked to the front wheel. I see it's connected but not working."

hah, that didn't even occur to me WHY you want to drive off the trans. Changing trans does not affect the speedo from wheel to IP... Check RockAuto or Fusick's and see if you can get a new speedo cable- assuming yours is faulty. maybe the top end isn't connected?
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by Octania
that fitting can be tough to find, the thing that connects dust cap to cable core.

"I guess maybe i'm over looking the problem. In theory my speedometer cable should still work if hooked to the front wheel. I see it's connected but not working."

hah, that didn't even occur to me WHY you want to drive off the trans. Changing trans does not affect the speedo from wheel to IP... Check RockAuto or Fusick's and see if you can get a new speedo cable- assuming yours is faulty. maybe the top end isn't connected?

Haha yeah i guess my logic was pretty stupid, however where i'm going with this is if I can't get the speedo cable working, (it is currently hooked up to the front spindle) then I was seeking other options to run it off the trans.

I will investigate further as to what is going on with the front spindle mount.

Thanks for the info everyone
Old May 17th, 2015, 05:50 PM

If the speedometer runs off the front wheel then it would be 1 to 1. If the speedo runs off the rear of the trans, wouldn't it run at 3.08 to 1 or 2.56 to 1 or whatever the rear end ratio is? Isn't that the reason why there are different speedo gears depending on what rear ratio you have? Seems to me a front wheel driven speedo would be all wrong for a rear of trans drive. Am I wrong about this??
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Hmmnnn....good question Greg. If you are traveling at the speed of light, and turn your headlights on, will they work?, lol! The bad thing about the front drive speedometer is when you are burning the tires off, you don't get to watch the speedometer zing up to 90!
Old May 17th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
If the speedometer runs off the front wheel then it would be 1 to 1. If the speedo runs off the rear of the trans, wouldn't it run at 3.08 to 1 or 2.56 to 1 or whatever the rear end ratio is? Isn't that the reason why there are different speedo gears depending on what rear ratio you have? Seems to me a front wheel driven speedo would be all wrong for a rear of trans drive. Am I wrong about this??
You're right Greg , the speedo for the 63 thru 68 Olds that were driven off the front wheel were calibrated different than other speedometers that were driven off the trans.
The part that turns the cable is nylon and is attached to the inside of the grease cap. They are often broken . I think there is one on E-Bay right now. The cable should be inspected carefully for binding or damage as it is often the cause of the failure.
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
You're right Greg , the speedo for the 63 thru 68 Olds that were driven off the front wheel were calibrated different than other speedometers that were driven off the trans.
The part that turns the cable is nylon and is attached to the inside of the grease cap. They are often broken . I think there is one on E-Bay right now. The cable should be inspected carefully for binding or damage as it is often the cause of the failure.
Can you link me to the ebay auction? I'm having trouble finding the exact one I want.
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by mauls
Can you link me to the ebay auction? I'm having trouble finding the exact one I want.
I looked for it and couldn't find it. It probably got sold.
If you want to try the internet , the factory part number is 385237.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; May 18th, 2015 at 09:46 PM.