Hydramatic throttle valve tool

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Hydramatic throttle valve tool

Does anyone manufacture this tool or have the specs to build it. Already have front and rear band adjustment tools and looking to complete the set.
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
Does anyone manufacture this tool or have the specs to build it. Already have front and rear band adjustment tools and looking to complete the set.
I'm wondering exactly which tool you are referring to and which Hydramatic. Could it be for the '55 in the photo? It may be the one to align the throttle lever on the exterior of the transmission. There was at least two varieties of this one; one was a notched bent up flat metal gauge; the other was a combination flat metal and rod which entered the throttle lever hole. Both rested on the rear machined surface of the transmission.
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
I'm wondering exactly which tool you are referring to and which Hydramatic. Could it be for the '55 in the photo? It may be the one to align the throttle lever on the exterior of the transmission. There was at least two varieties of this one; one was a notched bent up flat metal gauge; the other was a combination flat metal and rod which entered the throttle lever hole. Both rested on the rear machined surface of the transmission.
I am looking for the one with the flat metal and rod that goes thru the throttle lever hole. That would complete my set of tools for making adjustments
Old March 13th, 2015, 04:31 PM

I am looking for the one with the flat metal and rod that goes thru the throttle lever hole. That would complete my set of tools for making adjustments
I don't have that tool either, so I can't provide exact dimensions, but I do remember the number 6-3/4" in connection with it. Possibly it may be the length of the rod. ???????
There is one more tool used in connection with this tool. It is the throttle lever bending tool, used when the other tool determines the lever dimension to be incorrect. It can be used with the lever on the transmission. You might be able to do a "work around" on this tool. ??????? I am of the understanding that if any bending forces are transmitted to the internal control valve assembly, serious damage can occur. The bending tool has two long handles with three studs protruding from the arms near the pivot. There were at least four varieties of this tool made by Kent-Moore and New Britain. They had different applications for different Hydramatics on different cars & trucks.
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:03 PM

I don't have that tool either, so I can't provide exact dimensions, but I do remember the number 6-3/4" in connection with it. Possibly it may be the length of the rod. ???????
There is one more tool used in connection with this tool. It is the throttle lever bending tool, used when the other tool determines the lever dimension to be incorrect. It can be used with the lever on the transmission. You might be able to do a "work around" on this tool. ??????? I am of the understanding that if any bending forces are transmitted to the internal control valve assembly, serious damage can occur. The bending tool has two long handles with three studs protruding from the arms near the pivot. There were at least four varieties of this tool made by Kent-Moore and New Britain. They had different applications for different Hydramatics on different cars & trucks.
Thanks Ozzie, was able to find the KM J-2029 bending tool but still need to find the KM J-5605 gauging tool. Hard to find.
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Thanks Ozzie, was able to find the KM J-2029 bending tool but still need to find the KM J-5605 gauging tool. Hard to find.
The gauging tool is so simply made, if someone would have one and provide the dimensions it could probably be easily fabricated. If I find something I'll send the information.
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks Ozzie, I can do basic fabrication so any dimensions you can come up with help. I had my transmission rebuilt but would like to make sure all adjustments are zeroed in.
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:59 PM

The gauging tool is so simply made, if someone would have one and provide the dimensions it could probably be easily fabricated. If I find something I'll send the information.
Any luck coming up with those tool dimensions
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:22 PM

Any luck coming up with those tool dimensions
Unfortunately, I have not. I also do not have that tool, and I don't know where to find one. If one of the members had one and was willing to provide the exact dimensions, we could probably fabricate it. I was hoping this thread would provide a volunteer, but apparently it didn't. All I have is the picture in the shop manual, which tells me it is fairly simple to make (if we had good dimensions); but the photo is not good enough to scale it. The length of the rod and the offset would be the crucial part. That 6-3/4" dimension got stuck in my head for something, but it's been so long that I no longer remember what it was for.
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Unfortunately, I have not. I also do not have that tool, and I don't know where to find one. If one of the members had one and was willing to provide the exact dimensions, we could probably fabricate it. I was hoping this thread would provide a volunteer, but apparently it didn't. All I have is the picture in the shop manual, which tells me it is fairly simple to make (if we had good dimensions); but the photo is not good enough to scale it. The length of the rod and the offset would be the crucial part. That 6-3/4" dimension got stuck in my head for something, but it's been so long that I no longer remember what it was for.
You are right about the measurement. Still would like to have diagram of tool if some has one. Getting under car to check measurements mulitiple times is hard on my back and knees.