72 rocket 350 tr 3650 swap

Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:52 AM

72 rocket 350 tr 3650 swap

I received a free trans from my buddy, it's a tr-3650 from a 06 mustang. Now I'm not planning on putting it in my cutlass but I was wondering where I would even start to look for bell housing that would work for the swap. I have a feeling it would have to be custom (and I know that there would be tons of things to change like input shaft and brackets and **** but this is just me fantasizing) I was wondering what information I need to find the right bell housing for my 72 cutlass.
Like what are the specs of the bolt patters?
And the spline count on the engine?
Just give me your thoughts and opinions
Thanks clay
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Things that popped into my head... There is no spline count on the engine side, the splines would be in the clutch disc. The main issues to consider will be input shaft length, size of pilot bearing in the crank, pressure plate adaptability, throwout bearing ID and compatibility with an actuator. What pressure plate can be used? You will probably need to use a hydraulic set up. Bolt pattern needed to adapt to a BOP bell housing.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:21 AM

Yea haha so a bad idea
Thanks for your help though
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

The first problem with adapting the TR3650 to a BOP engine is the integral bellhousing on that trans. There are vendors who sell transmission front plates that replace the stock bellhousing with a more conventional four-bolt mount. Of course, this is a Ford bolt pattern, but thanks to the use of the Dearborn HD three speed trans in the late-60s A-body cars, this means that a Ford pattern manual trans will bolt to the BOP bellhousing. The bad news is that the bearing retainer that centers the trans in the bellhousing is probably the wrong diameter, requiring machining, and the input shaft is probably the wrong length, requiring a spacer. I suspect that the pilot in the input shaft is a different diameter from the GM pilot also. Note that the Dearborn transmissions that were factory installed by GM came with a GM-compatible input shaft and bearing retainer. Clutch selection requires some mix-and-match, with a Ford-compatible clutch disk and an Olds flywheel and pressure plate. You can also get custom-made clutch disks with whatever spline count you need.

All of these items can be overcome with money. The problem is that by the time you are done, you will have spent as much as a correct five-speed conversion would cost.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ersal-soldier/

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/?q=node/2

http://www.thet45source.com/t45-bell...dapter-kit.php