mechanical interlock or neutral safety switch?

Old January 5th, 2014, 12:13 AM

mechanical interlock or neutral safety switch?

I have a 67 Cutlass 4dr sedan and I am trying to figure out if I have mechanical interlock or neutral safety switch because I want to convert to a floor shifter and need to know what to do depending on which one I have.
Old January 5th, 2014, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by 4Door67
I have a 67 Cutlass 4dr sedan and I am trying to figure out if I have mechanical interlock or neutral safety switch because I want to convert to a floor shifter and need to know what to do depending on which one I have.
Neutral safety switch,it's on the column,if you're talking about the shifter lock rod with floor shifter that came later not sure what year but it's with ign key in column 70' or 71'.
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

This does not refer to the backdrive linkage to the trans.

GM used the electrical neutral safety switch until the late 1970s. After that GM changed to a mechanical interlock in the steering column that will not allow the key to turn unless the shifter is in PARK or NEUTRAL. Since your 67 doesn't even have the key on the steering column, you obviously have an electric NSS.
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:47 AM

1968 and prior ign switches were in the dash, and have nothing to do with Neutral Safety. Your ign switch does not care what the shifter position is [exc. for the START function via the NSS]. The NSS is related only to the Shift Selector, so it was on the steering column (most cars), or, with console, a small add-on harness [available repro I believe] runs the connections over to the NSS now located on the shifter in the console.

So, all you need to do is make sure your floor shifter has the NSS, procure the extension harness, and plug it in.

You will not have the complications of the 1969+ (backdrive) linkage which connected shifter position to ignition and vice versa and locks the steering unless the key is in place and turned.

Last edited by Octania; January 5th, 2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let me clarify some possible confusion in this thread.

The OP is asking about installing an aftermarket floor shifter (per his other thread). The aftermarket instructions are asking if the car uses an electric NSS or a mechanical blocking mechanism. This has nothing to do with the column-mounted key switch nor with the backdrive linkage. The question concerns whether or not the car uses an electric NSS in the starter circuit or not. As I noted above, starting with the redesigned 1977 full size cars (and progressing to the A/G-body cars with the 1978 redesign), GM stopped using an electric NSS in the starter circuit and instead used a mechanical blocking linkage in the steering column. These cars still have a switch on the steering column that LOOKS like an NSS, but it is not wired to the starting circuit. This switch is only used for the backup lights, and on the 1981-up CCC cars it also serves as the PARK/NEUTRAL switch for the ECU. On these later cars you can pull all the wires off the switch and the car will still crank and start.

The reason why the aftermarket shifter instructions care about this is that if the car uses a mechanical blocking linkage, then obviously you don't need to worry about hooking up an NSS. Of course, since the OP's car is a 67, it DOES use an NSS.
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Nss

I am in the process of installing the wire harness back into my 67. It is a 4 spd car so I noticed that the NSS plug has a factory installed jumper in it. I verified this by the assembly manual.
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gasserdays
I am in the process of installing the wire harness back into my 67. It is a 4 spd car so I noticed that the NSS plug has a factory installed jumper in it. I verified this by the assembly manual.
Correct. Later years used the NSS wiring on the clutch safety switch, but that was not required for 67.
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Thank you for your responses. So now that I know my 67 utilizes a NSS. Do I understand correctly that the NSS is located on the steering column?
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you for your responses. So now that I know my 67 utilizes a NSS. Do I understand correctly that the NSS is located on the steering column?
Correct, at the base on the column, on the top side, near the floor.
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Thx for that confusion clearing Joe, that is not at all what I got from the question, was not aware of another thread.

4door67- I assume we are talking auto trans here.
You guys with 1967 MT cars, go ahead and hit the starter with the car in gear, nothing to prevent the car taking off in gear... sheesh. Not even a clutch switch.

Sounds like an interesting project. Are you removing the PRNDL part of the dash and/or the column shift lever and collar so it appears to be a factory floor shift? Buckets or std issue 4dr bench seat??

You should be able to hook your floor shifter's NSS into the two large purple wires at your steering column, and your shifter's backup lights wiring contacts to the green or greenish small wires at the column's NSS and have both functions easily.
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Thx for that confusion clearing Joe, that is not at all what I got from the question, was not aware of another thread.

4door67- I assume we are talking auto trans here.
You guys with 1967 MT cars, go ahead and hit the starter with the car in gear, nothing to prevent the car taking off in gear... sheesh. Not even a clutch switch.

Sounds like an interesting project. Are you removing the PRNDL part of the dash and/or the column shift lever and collar so it appears to be a factory floor shift? Buckets or std issue 4dr bench seat??

You should be able to hook your floor shifter's NSS into the two large purple wires at your steering column, and your shifter's backup lights wiring contacts to the green or greenish small wires at the column's NSS and have both functions easily.
So what im looking to do is re-doing the interior in black and shaving the stock column shift lever and patching the collar along with a re-paint so it looks stock. As for the PRNDL part of the dash I haven't figured that out but probably gonna have it patched over when i redo the dash. I am going to keep the bench seats, with 4 point harnesses if I can find a way to fab it up, because I kinda like the whole family sedan "sleeper" look. I have a 1970 455 that will be the next project going into it. It will be getting a freshly rebuilt rear end with a 3.23 posi and the Rebuilt TH350 w/ shift kit in May of this year. It has a full hotchkis suspension w/ new front disk brake system, hoping to get full tube upper/lower control arms also. Its a project but I love it! I picked it up for $1500 when I was 16.