Winter storage..Tranny fluid concens

Old November 8th, 2013, 10:11 AM

Winter storage..Tranny fluid concens

When I put my 64 away for the winter I change the oil put 'stable' in the tank and top off the radiator fluid. So should I put something in the tranny fluid to help stop moisture buildup? The pan is the closest to the floor and my garage is unheated.
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't put anything in the transmission... from what i gather it's a pain to flush fluid out of the transmission.

If you're really worried about moisture why not park your car on a tarp or something?
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Administrator

No need to put anything in the trans. You might put a pan under there to catch anything that may ooze out. I use a large sheet of cardboard to see where the leaks are.
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

x3 for the same reason you don't add something to the power steering pump. It's either good or not and won't be affected by sitting through a winter.

Stabil in the gas tank is a decent thing. You might also want to use a battery tender, or remove the battery and store it on wood somewhere at room temp.

BTW, what kind of oil did you use on the oil change? Most of the new stuff out there doesn't have enough zinc for flat tappets.
Old November 10th, 2013, 01:47 PM

I do place a thick sheet of plastic sheet under the car and bring the battery into a warm location. As for the oil I use VR-1 valvoline racing oil due to its zinc content.
I did find a tranny shop that does have filters for my 64 dynamic. I will be changing the filter and fluid next spring.
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Just the facts...

there no need for wood under a battery anymore, that was with the old cases that they haven't made in 30 years or more. it is a good idea to clean the battery up thoroughly. if you have a battery tender-use it, otherwise, charge it on low for a couple of hours every month or two.

bill
Old November 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
there no need for wood under a battery anymore...
I guess some old habits die hard - no pun intended. I looked that up after reading your comment. Manufacturers say the polypropylene the cases are made of are more insulative so cold dry storage is not an issue, whether on concrete or anything else. The comment about the battery tender is spot on, I do that with both my batteries in storage. Every month or so I fully charge them on my bench. I check the voltage periodically with my multimeter.
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:56 PM

tranny fluid by the gallons

taking care of of the '67's tranny was on the winter to do list -- dropped the pan today and not only found out that the 63-67 th400 uses a different filter- but I found what I believe an excess amount of tranny fluid-- can anyone tell me how or why I got 2 gallons of fluid out of this thing? yes 2 gallons-- from what the factory service manual states- this is twice the amount ... to refill is said to be 4 quarts -- I bought this car a year ago and have driven it without any problems -- mileage only reads 57k --- all very strange -- every bit of two gallons drained out-- could a transmission function overfilled by this amount? another strange fact is that the dip stick read correctly --- the transmission is a switch pitch thm400 in a 1967 delta 88

thank you

erik
'73
'67
delta 88 2dr hdtps
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Administrator

There is more than 4 qts in there, it holds 12 qts. If the trans had been sitting for a while they tend to overdrain into the pan, which is why you hear of people complaining of leaks if they sit over the winter. Also if someone installed a deeper pan you would have extra.

Normally it takes 4-5 qts with a filter change.
Old December 27th, 2013, 07:48 AM

Anyway to stop the trans leaks with a winter storage?
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Short of a reseal job, or not storing it without driving it, no.
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Learn something every day. Every spring I find a small amount of tranny fluid on the floor pan...I always get concerned and spend hours checking the under side wondering the leaks location. When car and seals are warm and softened up no tranny fluid leaks.
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Just the facts...

bear in mind that these older transmissions had some weakness with regard to some of the seals. they also were expected to have a "normal/acceptable" amount of seepage. as the seals get older & harder, they tend to seep a little more. if we're talking about a few drops or so-don't sweat it. also remember, these cars were designed to be driven regularly.

bill