First time it's ever left me stranded.

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2012, 04:38 PM

First time it's ever left me stranded.

I was heading home from town today and started to feel a vibration. I slowed down, but the vibration got worse and worse until I could only go about 35 without rattling my teeth.

I pulled over and took a look under the car and grease was everywhere on the passenger side front. The passengerside Tri-Pot joint must have busted and blew the boot off.

The car still had some forward motion, so I tried to limp home the next 10 miles doing 25 mph. I made it 7 of those 10 miles then it finally let go completely. Good to live in a place where you know your neighbors. My friend across the street brought his truck out and we towed home the Toronado.

Here's the carnage:

Thing that pisses me off is I just replaced both half-shafts not more than 2 years ago. So... ordered a new halfshaft that should be in Tuesday. Swap it out, de-grease everything and go. Or maybe I should leave the grease and call it "rust protectant" haha.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:43 PM

one of those days. I was heading to the shop this morning and my truck just shut off and would not refire. it has never left me stranded over 275,000 miles. I had better luck than you. for what ever reason the coil wire fell off so at least I made it home. it seems these days that the new parts are worse than some of the old ones we replace. at least it is an easy fix other than the mess.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Dumb question:

Did you replace the half shafts because they were bad, or just "because"?

I'm one of those who says "They don't make 'em like they used to," and avoids replacing original parts unless they are proven bad, so I'm interested in the "data" about your experience.

Sorry it had to happen, but I guess that's what you get for drivin' those dadburned newfangled overcomplicated front wheel drive jalopies.

- Eric
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Sorry it had to happen, but I guess that's what you get for drivin' those dadburned newfangled overcomplicated front wheel drive jalopies.

- Eric
the sad part is that I have owned my 70 SX conv for 3 years longer than his car has existed and his is 27 years old now. back when I bought mine we would look at the "new" mid eighties cars and think "man those things are bland", now I look at the new cars and think "boy, after the eighties they really quit with the style". cars today are all the same with different emblems but anything from around 1990 or older you can ID from across the parking lot know exactly what it is.
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Dumb question:

Did you replace the half shafts because they were bad, or just "because"?

I'm one of those who says "They don't make 'em like they used to," and avoids replacing original parts unless they are proven bad, so I'm interested in the "data" about your experience.

- Eric
Hehe. One of the old ones was was getting noisy, so I decided to replace both at that time.

This is my daily driver and everybody keeps asking me "How long do you think it will last?" (I have 260,000 miles right now).

I tell them, "I don't know. But I haven't known how long it's going to last for 7 years now." Haha.

Say what you will about FWD, but this thing is awesome in the winter snow.
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:39 PM

yeah they are great in the winter but I hope they dont salt the roads there, hate to see it rot away in a few years. I have seen a few that era that were well cared for with over 350,000 on them so if it is running good and you maintain it you have a ways to go. we all like to bust on the fwd for fun but those are really nice cruising cars and it probably still gets better miliage than some of the new cars.
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Oh there's plenty of salt here. But I do my best to keep it clean.

Let's just say it's in a lot better shape since I've been driving it every day than it was when I bought it 7 years ago. So I don't feel too bad pressing it into service. Next stop probably would have been either the trailer park or the junk yard if I hadn't bought it.

I paid $625 for the car when it had 196,000 miles on it. Pretty cheap transportation... with style.
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:05 PM

I hate road salt!! I swear it is a conspiracy by the auto makers to destroy cars so we have to keep buying new ones. I never see more that a week or two of snow here during the whole winter so we dont have that problem. if the car runs good then you are in so cheap at that price that you dont have much to lose but too nice a ride to let rot away or get crushed and turned into a new kia.
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by kartmaster
Say what you will about FWD, but this thing is awesome in the winter snow.
[rant]
Nothing to do with you or your car, but this is a pet peeve I have up here in the Frozen North.
It seems these days that it's common wisdom that you "have" to have a car with four wheel drive or front wheel drive to live through the winter.
People always seem just short of amazed when I point out that I have spent the past five winters commuting 70 miles round trip every day with rear wheel drive vehicles (BMW 318ti or GMC 2500 p/u), without ever getting stuck or having any serious traction problems.
All you need is a decent set of snow tires.
Oh, yeah, and you have to know how to drive.

Everyone seems to need a crutch these days.

Getting off my soapbox now...

[/rant]
Old September 8th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Yeowzers - what a mess. How difficult are those to change out? Looks like a major PITA but hope not.
What brand of shafts did you use? New or reman? Seems they did not last long.
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM

I used the reman A1Cardone shafts from Rock Auto. Going to try something different this time I guess...

The job isn't too bad. Breaking the 36mm spindle nut loose without an impact wrench is the hardest part. =P
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Well, the newly replaced part is off the hook. I was afraid of something like this. The tripot joint failed because the output shaft support failed. (Labeled in the photo below as "Support Bracket and Bearing"

I was underneath putting the new halfshaft in and was checking everything out and noticed there looked like was a LOT more play than there should be on the output shaft coming out of the differential.

Then found that the support was no longer attached!

So I'm posting in the parts wanted thread to see if anyone might have one of these. Ahh the joys of owning a Toronado. =P
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Bummer! Looks like that is a rather weak support to carry all the torque. How does the one on the other side look (is there one?) Is the shaft connection in the diff okay?
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:18 PM

The driver's side doesn't have a support. The differential is offset to the driver's side so driver's side halfshaft bolts directly to the differential.

I haven't pulled the output shaft out yet, but I'm anticipating the worst. Seems to be how things are going lately. =P
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM

[rant]
Nothing to do with you or your car, but this is a pet peeve I have up here in the Frozen North.
It seems these days that it's common wisdom that you "have" to have a car with four wheel drive or front wheel drive to live through the winter.
My cutlass is actually pretty good in the snow, not sure if you guys remember but i drove it for the first time through a blistering snowstorm in minus 20*C weather.

She fired up with two pumps of the gas, stuck to the road without any issues.

And, oh yeah. the heater is GREAT.
Old September 14th, 2012, 02:39 AM

So... what are the odds I can repair this piece by welding it back together where it cracked? Terrible idea?

Old September 14th, 2012, 03:15 AM

I used the reman A1Cardone shafts from Rock Auto. Going to try something different this time I guess...

The job isn't too bad. Breaking the 36mm spindle nut loose without an impact wrench is the hardest part. =P
To break the nut loose, just leave the wheel on with the weight of the car on it and break the nut loose with a three-quarter drive bar and socket---then lift and remove wheel and the other stuff in the vicinity...
Old September 14th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So... what are the odds I can repair this piece by welding it back together where it cracked?
A good welder should be able to safely repair that part.

Are you a good welder?

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM

Are you a good welder?

- Eric
No way. But my father can weld up anything. He's built a lot of cool stuff over the years.

Now that I'm older and appreciate his skill, I keep bugging him to teach me how to make stuff look as good as he does and he's willing. But the few times a year we get back home, we just never squeeze it into the short time we are there.

Guess now I have a good reason for him to show me.
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:24 AM

No way. But my father can weld up anything. He's built a lot of cool stuff over the years.

Now that I'm older and appreciate his skill, I keep bugging him to teach me how to make stuff look as good as he does and he's willing. But the few times a year we get back home, we just never squeeze it into the short time we are there.

Guess now I have a good reason for him to show me.
If you were around my area i woulda welded it for you, i've got a 180A power mig.
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks, Tony. If only we were closer!

Good news, I think I found a differential unit with the output shafts and support locally in a salvage yard. They want $150 and they'll pull it. Seems fair if it's all there. Should hear back from them today.
Old September 14th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Hit that thing with a power washer while it's apart. I can feel the grime under my fingernails by just looking at your pictures. YUK!

Gotta love those leaky 307's. Half of them looked like that after 50,000 miles because of those 5 bolt valve covers, and complex web of hoses and doodads blocking the cleanup effort.
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM

J-, I'll degrease it just for you. While I was under there, I noticed one of the oil pan bolts was completely gone!

Here's the crusty new (old) parts. Can't believe I couldn't get a warantee.

Old September 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
jfb

Exclamation your grease problem

I was heading home from town today and started to feel a vibration. I slowed down, but the vibration got worse and worse until I could only go about 35 without rattling my teeth.
hey did you check the engine mounts i have seen this happen and shift.
I pulled over and took a look under the car and grease was everywhere on the passenger side front. The passengerside Tri-Pot joint must have busted and blew the boot off.

The car still had some forward motion, so I tried to limp home the next 10 miles doing 25 mph. I made it 7 of those 10 miles then it finally let go completely. Good to live in a place where you know your neighbors. My friend across the street brought his truck out and we towed home the Toronado.

Here's the carnage:

Thing that pisses me off is I just replaced both half-shafts not more than 2 years ago. So... ordered a new halfshaft that should be in Tuesday. Swap it out, de-grease everything and go. Or maybe I should leave the grease and call it "rust protectant" haha.