grinding clunking noise

Old April 13th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Gearhead in training

grinding clunking noise

im hearing a loud noise under my car i have some videos here. it also doesnt like going in reverse it will engage but once i start moving it starts shaking a bit car turns on no problem and revs in park no problem

Old April 13th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Bfg

Check your drive shaft
Old April 13th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Hookers under Hood

Sounds like the trans linkage isn't fully disengaging out of drive into neutral .
Old April 13th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by Bfg
Check your drive shaft
bingo so this happened right now going in reverse

Old April 13th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Gearhead in training

im mechanically inclined and have tools any idea if i can fix this what do you guys think went wrong what's it going to take to fix if i cant do it whats a ballpark figure
Old April 13th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Maintained

looks like your pinion nut somehow backed off and allowed the yoke to separate from the pinion gear. the nut is supposed to be torqued on to the pinion tight, so not sure how this could happen. if its just the nut, then you could be rel lucky and just find another nut to replace the one you lost.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by scottv442
looks like your pinion nut somehow backed off and allowed the yoke to separate from the pinion gear. the nut is supposed to be torqued on to the pinion tight, so not sure how this could happen. if its just the nut, then you could be rel lucky and just find another nut to replace the one you lost.
Im going to lift the car tomorrow and clean it up real good where is this nut I'm looking for exactly located?
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Maintained

its in the center of the driveshaft yoke. i think it is a 1 1/8" diameter nut if i remeber right. it bolts the driveshaft yoke to the splined pinion shaft you see sticking out of your rear differential. the yoke is splined too. they slide over one another and the nut holds them together. your yoke is hanging loose and the splined pinion gear is showing sticking out of the diff. if your real lucky the nut might still be there hanging loose in the yoke.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Gearhead in training

its in the center of the driveshaft yoke. i think it is a 1 1/8" diameter nut if i remeber right. it bolts the driveshaft yoke to the splined pinion shaft you see sticking out of your rear differential. the yoke is splined too. they slide over one another and the nut holds them together. your yoke is hanging loose and the splined pinion gear is showing sticking out of the diff. if your real lucky the nut might still be there hanging loose in the yoke.
could I possibly if the nut is still there unbolt the smaller part of the pinion that connects the pinion to the yoke, bolt that part to the yoke then re bolt the smaller part of the pinion to the pinion? Is that how this would happen or do I have to release the whole pinion
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Maintained

you will need to unbolt the driveshaft from the pinion yoke and then slide the pinion yoke back over the splined pinion sticking out of the diff. its the only way you to get a 1 1/8" socket over the pinion nut to tighten the yoke to the splined pinion. once that assembly is back together and the nut is torqued to spec., then you bolt the driveshaft back onto the pinion yoke. fill the diif up to the drain plug level with 80w90 gear oil and your done.
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Gearhead in training

you will need to unbolt the driveshaft from the pinion yoke and then slide the pinion yoke back over the splined pinion sticking out of the diff. its the only way you to get a 1 1/8" socket over the pinion nut to tighten the yoke to the splined pinion. once that assembly is back together and the nut is torqued to spec., then you bolt the driveshaft back onto the pinion yoke. fill the diif up to the drain plug level with 80w90 gear oil and your done.
it sounds pretty straight forward in gonna look at the damage tomorrow. Thanks!
Old April 14th, 2018, 05:07 AM
Administrator

At minimum you need to replace the seal and crush washer. Torque to the required setting.
Old April 18th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
At minimum you need to replace the seal and crush washer. Torque to the required setting.
anyone know where i can buy these seals and washers?
Old April 18th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Gearhead in training

any idea where i can get the crush washer and seal
Old April 18th, 2018, 04:41 PM
HX3

If you are unable to locate elsewhere, McCaster-Carr is a good source for washes, seals, fittings, fasteners, joints, etc. Here are their crush washers ... only bad thing is sometimes the quantity which you need to purchase if you want just one.

​​​​​​https://www.mcmaster.com/#crush-washers/=1ch0crj
Old April 18th, 2018, 04:43 PM

My truck was making same noise, nut was ready to come off, I was able to retighten it, that was two years ago, still going strong . I was luck it didn't come apart.
Old April 18th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Maintained

I would try Napa or other major auto parts stores first. Crush sleeve is more of a specialty item that the seal. If you have a tranny shop that does diffs too, I would try there.
Old April 18th, 2018, 05:01 PM
72 Olds CS

I would say NAPA rockauto, or possibly pep boys, autozone, advance auto
Old April 18th, 2018, 05:12 PM

If you were driving it like that when it was loosening up chances are pretty good you damaged the ring and pinion gear. Take the cover off and have a look before ordering anything. I've seen this happen with newer mopars, truck in particular and it makes a mess of the ring and pinion. The pinion actually ends up grinding into the carrier and so on
Old April 18th, 2018, 05:21 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Dennys Driveshafts

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com

At a minimum, you should pull the inspection cover and look at the gears and inspect for debris. Chances are you're in for a bit more fun. Inspect the pinion splines and U Joints as well. You might get lucky?

If it was me the entire rear end would come apart for inspection. Chances are high the pinion bearings have been affected. At that point, you're committed to a full rebuild...IMO.

Follow up and let us know how it goes to close this thread.

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 18th, 2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: 70Green typed quicker than I