makin crazy noise

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2013, 11:21 PM

makin crazy noise

Ok here's the problem I've got a 85 delta 88 and I'm getting a wired noise when I accelerate but when I let off noise stops. Now the sound it makes. For lack of a better description i would say comes close to some rocks tumbling around in a steel pipe, bunch of tings and tangs n soforth. Now I've looked to see if anything is loose and nothing but the differential cover look as if it may have been seeping oil at some point. So my question is does anyone know what could be causing the noise and if it is the rear end what gears can I replace it with to help spin 22 inch rims with no prob. Thanks for reading any and all input or specs are greatly appreciated thanks again
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Administrator

It could be something as simple as ujoints, to axle bearings, or bearings in your differential.
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's not pinging, is it?

- Eric
Old January 30th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's not pinging, is it?

- Eric
That was my thought. It may be hard but you need to localize the noise, this will help. Front, it could be pinging in the engine; back, it could be bearings in the axle, differential, or the U-joint.
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:43 AM

I would say check the simple stuff first. If it sounds like it comes from the back, drop the drive shaft & check the u-joints to see if they move around ok. If from the front check to make sure timing is set as it may be timing noise.
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:58 AM

Ok thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure its comin from the rear of the car and the mechanic I talked to also mentioned the u joint so that's were ill start and ill post my findings later
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Another thought maybe flex plate to converter bolts.
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

--OR--

A cracked flexplate:

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0702.jpg (67.3 KB, 50 views)
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Put heavy 22 inch chrome rims on it and you'll have lots a noises in the future, just saying.

Yes I have 20's that I might put on mine soon, but at 58 lbs for each wheel/tire combo, you get the idea
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM

OK so what needs to be done to be able to supports the heavy 22 s mechanically as far as beefing up the rear end gears or tranny ect..? does anyone know what gear are in the stock rear axle of the 85 delta and Wat can I upgrade to.? Also took the car for a quick spin up the block to pin point noise and its definetly coming out the rear end so for highway and city type gears is what I'm lookin for not trying th whitesmoke the tires. Although that would be pretty kick ***. Kinda like to know what I need for that too
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:54 PM

The gears are fine, it's the axles that are going to be the weak point.

GM put wimpy 26 spine axles under the big cars in the 80's. Those 26 splines are also in the G bodies as well. Some of them, like the GN 442 and Monte Carlo SS did get 28 spline. So a better rear end is going to be your best bet.

A 91-96 Impala rear will swap in. Something from an SS or a police car will have the better axles, disk brakes (which you'll need to upgrade too due to a larger rotating mass) however the Impala rears are a 5x5 bolt pattern and your Delta is a 5x4.75 You could put a 73-77 A Body rear under your car is it is the correct width from backing plate to backing plate (I forget the EXACT number, but J posted it in a thread, I want to say 55 inches, but that doesn't sound right) And something from an Olds or Pontiac would be better than the Chevy rears. Same BP and guys have been running 10 second cars with those stock rears for a while.

I would suggest the Impala rear though because it has the disk brakes, but you'll need a valve to regulate the amount of brake fliud going to the rear caliper. If not, the rear could spin around in a stop and cause an accident

Front end, heavy duty lower and upper control arms, springs, shocks, spindles, and brakes.

Rear gears of your 85 Delta should be 2.73. You can smoke tires with a 2.73 if you power brake, but not with 22's. My current rear wheels are 60 lbs a pop (15 inch AR-39 wheel with 255/60/15) and it's rare I can spin them up from a dead stop or a power brake unless traction issues are there (wet ground, leaves, etc) I might get a chirp coming from a drivway. The old 205/70/15's I could smoke them about 15 feet with the 307, and burn them down to the belts with a power brake.

3.42 is a decent gear, 3.73 if you have overdrive. Still don't know which gear I'm going with in mine