Changing column shift to console floor shift

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:45 PM

Changing column shift to console floor shift

I have found several cars I would be interested in if only they had a dual gate or at least a "regular" floor mounted shifter. I need advice from those of you who have much more knowledge (which is anyone reading this post) in regard to the possibility of altering a car to a floor shift. I guess this would mean finding a console somewhere and either buying a new or used dual gate or floor shift. Is this a common practice? No disrespect to those with the column shift cars....I just have a personal preference for in floor shift. As always, thanks in advance for any input. John

Last edited by jayvee53; August 24th, 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old August 24th, 2018, 04:51 AM

Would you only consider a factory floor shifter? If you would consider an aftermarket floor shifter they are easily purchased and installed. Depending on how you want to use the floor shifter will also determine whether or not you'll have to put a shift kit in the transmission. What kind of car and transmission do you have?
Old August 24th, 2018, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the reply! Don't have a car yet but during my search I have found some that would have been much more desirable if they didn't have the column shift. Sounds like I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss those cars. I have been looking for both Rally e 350's. 442's as well as GTO's (ok to say that?&#128512 I just don't want to take a nice car as cobble it up by changing out the shifter from column to floor.
Old August 24th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

To do this right, you need to swap out the steering column as well as add the console and floor shifter. The trans neither knows nor cares where the shifter is. Depending on the year and model, you will need the backdrive linkage and adapter harness for the console.
Old August 24th, 2018, 08:35 AM

If you're concerned about messing up the car by swapping from column to floor shift I suggest you only consider floor shift cars.
Old August 24th, 2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
To do this right, you need to swap out the steering column as well as add the console and floor shifter. The trans neither knows nor cares where the shifter is. Depending on the year and model, you will need the backdrive linkage and adapter harness for the console.
If changing a column shift to a floor shift, don't forget the PRNDL on the speedo / dash will be a dead giveaway that it used to be a column shift car.
Old August 24th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the good advice! After considering your suggestions, I think you are correct that I should just wait until I find the car I want, equipped the way I want, instead of trying alter something. The search continues.....