What Torque for Pan Gasket- TH200C?

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2019, 12:52 PM

Arrow What Torque for Pan Gasket- TH200C?

Seeking some assistance in reference to torque specifications for the TH200C Transmission Pan Gasket. Changing the fluid, filter, and gasket Friday. Technical specs show 6 to 10 FT. Lbs. What would be the correct torque or should I just tighten by hand? All replies are appreciated. And, should I insert a grade 5 ceramic magnet which was part of the original set-up?

Old June 12th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Yes to the magnet and 10 ft lbs of torque.
Old June 12th, 2019, 02:51 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yes to the magnet and 10 ft lbs of torque.
*Thanks very much, '10' it shall be. AND the magnet. Question: Why do the specs state 6- 10 ft. lbs.?
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:11 PM

Most people don’t own inch pound torque wrenches, and a lbs-ft that will accurately read that low is even less common. You want to compres the gasket enough to prevent fluid from wicking around the gasket, but not so tight as to split it or compress completely. I guess GM felt 6-10 lbs would be sufficient to accomplish both.
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:24 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Most people don’t own inch pound torque wrenches, and a lbs-ft that will accurately read that low is even less common. You want to compres the gasket enough to prevent fluid from wicking around the gasket, but not so tight as to split it or compress completely. I guess GM felt 6-10 lbs would be sufficient to accomplish both.
*Felt? I'm using 'rubber', not cork, not fiber, or anything else. I did not know that 'felt' was/ or is available: 'never heard of felt". I never gave thought as to what torque would suffice for the properties of the gasket. Thanks very much.
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:28 PM

* In reference to the above topic, 'Would the torque be contingent upon the gasket material, i.e. > 'Cork, rubber, composite, or anything else?
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Basically use a 1/4 drive ratchet tighten till snug and then a little. If it weeps, tighten another 1/4 turn until it stops. Try to get them all so that they are somewhat even, as stated above 6-10 ft lbs is not much. "Felt" is a term like "being confident", not a gasket material.
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:46 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Basically use a 1/4 drive ratchet tighten till snug and then a little. If it weeps, tighten another 1/4 turn until it stops. Try to get them all so that they are somewhat even, as stated above 6-10 ft lbs is not much. "Felt" is a term like "being confident", not a gasket material.
* Thank you very much. I misconstrued the statement of felt in looking at it too quickly. Actually, the method you refer to is what I performed at the last fluid and filter change. Never had any leaks for seventeen years. So, I'll most likely follow your recommendations as used by me prior. Never used a torque wrench for I believed they were not needed. I have the opportunity to use one, so I thought it could be useful. Most likely, I'll bypass the torque wrench in lieu of your instructions.
* What of the gasket material, "Would that factor into torque specifications"?
Old June 14th, 2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by synoptic12
Never used a torque wrench for I believed they were not needed. I have the opportunity to use one, so I thought it could be useful. Most likely, I'll bypass the torque wrench in lieu of your instructions.
Might be a good idea to calibrate your wrist by using the torque wrench, to see what 6--10 ft/lbs feels like.

What of the gasket material, "Would that factor into torque specifications"?
No.

For the record, there was a gasket manufacturer that used to do business under the name "Felt Products." They shortened that name decades ago. Now they're doing business as Fel-Pro.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:38 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Might be a good idea to calibrate your wrist by using the torque wrench, to see what 6--10 ft/lbs feels like.

No.
Thanks much. Great idea, never thought of it wrist to calibration. Anyways, it's done, just used a 13 to snug up the bolts. One corner seeped a hair near the front transmission cover but tightened up a bit more and fine. Would it not stand to reason that the gasket material would factor into the torque specs, seeing that cork is different than rubber and fiber also consists of different properties? Your 'no' seems quite certain.

For the record, there was a gasket manufacturer that used to do business under the name "Felt Products." They shortened that name decades ago. Now they're doing business as Fel-Pro.
Old June 16th, 2019, 10:12 AM

Would it not stand to reason that the gasket material would factor into the torque specs, seeing that cork is different than rubber and fiber also consists of different properties? Your 'no' seems quite certain.
Do you change the head-bolt torque depending on which head gasket you use?

Bolt torque is based on all sorts of factors, among them the strength of the female threads--in this case they're soft aluminum and with less-than-optimum thread engagement. Similarly, the sheet-steel OEM trans pan is thin, thin, thin. Over-torquing distorts the pan, stresses the trans case threads, and may even push out the gasket.

So...NO, you don't need to dick with the torque spec when using a different gasket.