Transmission was starting to slip!!

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2014, 10:47 PM

Transmission was starting to slip!!

My th350 was starting to slip....not bad, but slipping. I pulled it out and WOW..i have never seen that much material in a trans before. Both the input and output shaft are ruined, as well as the first planetary and most likely the pump is junk now as well. The cause of this in my opinion seemed to be heat.....I found a trans cooler line that had a pretty bad kink in it...oh well..now its time to find parts and put it all back together!
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:13 AM

It's amazing to see alot of damage yet still work somewhat ,yes heat is the killer.
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:00 AM

They built them tough in the past.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:11 AM

transmission

Im also thinking that the cooler that's in the radiator is now worthless as well...unless I can rent a fluid shocker in order to clean it properly which I don't think ill do because ive got an external cooler lying around the garage. LOL....when it rains it pours...
Old January 28th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Even if you add the external one, you'll still want to keep the one in the radiator in series as a ballast to keep the fluid temp even. Otherwise the first time you pull out onto the highway the blast of moving air will drop the temp rather suddenly ... and that's not a good thing.
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:11 AM

Transmission

Well.......took a trip to hughes performance today..and ended up buying everything they sell in order to rebuild the transmission. I returned all of the parts I previously bought. Went with a 2500 stall and their rebuild kit, sprags, pump, input and output shafts, and hardened gear. Was it worth it...I have no idea..but I can tell you this...about the third time you put a transmission together because you forgot to install something...you start thinking whether or not its actually going to work once you put it back in LOL...ill see tomorrow I guess..wish me luck LOL..and btw, if you've ever wondered if you can rebuild a transmission..the answer is yes..this is my first one and actually its not that bad.