Transmission replace

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2020, 08:33 AM

Transmission replace

Help! I have a 1972 Cutlass with a 350 and the automatic transmission has stopped working. I’m looking at replacing at home. I don’t have a lift. Can I do the exchange using floor jacks and stands to hold the car up. Not sure how high it is needed to remove the old transmission and then install the new one.
Am I better off just towing to a shop and having the work done?

Any suggestions before I give up on the old transmission? It had been slipping some but , it has set for a year and now want even start to move either direction.

B Richey
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass
350/350 Auto
Old October 30th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

What does the trans fluid look like? Does it smell burned on the dipstick? I assume the level is correct, right?

To answer your original question, yes, you can swap the trans at home. First trick is to get the car as high as safely possible. Normal jackstands won't be tall enough. Cribbing built from 4x4s under the front tires is a good, safe solution. Rent or borrow a real transmission jack. Even if you drain all the trans fluid out of the pan, expect the trans to piddle at least a quart out of the tailhousing if you tip it rear-down. Have kitty litter handy.
Old October 30th, 2020, 11:56 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

If you have headers you will need to deal with that 2.
Old October 31st, 2020, 09:41 AM

Thanks for your reply. I added four new qts of fluid and get transmission to engage, but it won’t shift automatically. Once I get to speed I can manually change gears and get to a higher gear.
Old October 31st, 2020, 09:59 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Double check the fluid level idling on a level surface. If it is good, make sure the vacuum line is hooked up to the vacuum modulator near the back of the trans. They do fail, it may need replaced.
Old October 31st, 2020, 10:51 AM
Running On Empty

As has already been asked regarding burnt transmission fluid and proper fluid level, I fail to see where the OP has addressed these questions/options/suggestions.

Exactly what does it mean to add 4 new quarts of trans fluid? You added 4 more on top of what was there already? You need to drain and change the transmission fluid and the filter at least once, perhaps twice. You’ve already saved tons of money and time by a simple addition of 4 new quarts of trans fluid - whatever that means.

Then, as has already been suggested, you need to evaluate the Automatic Transmission Modulator (ATM) valve in the trans casing for leaks. Honestly, you’re probably far better off by replacing the ATM with a fresh new one.

Finally, you need to check your engine vacuum to ensure you’re pulling the correct vacuum on your engine. Check that ATM vacuum line in particular to ensure no cracks, solid seal. In the long run you need to perform the basic maintenance items as has been discussed here and you very well may save tons of time and money before you elect to replace a transmission.

Do you own the CSM for this vehicle? Every item is addressed in the CSM. GL