TH400 won't go in gear from park

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2021, 11:10 AM

Angry TH400 won't go in gear from park

Long story short.
Had been having blue smoke out of exhaust only at stop after running hard. Decided to replace vacuum modulator and when pulled out lot of transmission fluid came out. Replaced the modulator and now it won't shift out of park. Recently I had noticed that when shifting out of park into reverse seem to hesitate a few seconds, seemed like a vacuum delay. Anyway, now nothing after new modulator. I checked hoses and seem ok. Any suggestions?
Old April 6th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

The modulator has nothing to do with shifting in or out of park. Did you check the fluid level after it leaked out?
Old April 6th, 2021, 01:21 PM

Ok, so you can shift the shifter but it does not do anything? Low fluid like Joe says.
Old April 6th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Ok, so you can shift the shifter but it does not do anything? Low fluid like Joe says.
Fair enough question; yet, I believe the jury remains deadlocked as the OP states:

[A].....it won't shift out of park.
which is then followed up w/:

[B]Recently I had noticed that when shifting out of park into reverse seem to hesitate a few seconds, seemed like a vacuum delay.
I suspect the OP cannot shift out of park but prior to not shifting out of park, the OP noticed when shifting out of park into reverse seem to hesitate (which apparently led to changing the modulator).

I think we would all agree if currently, the OP cannot shift out of park, the issue is not likely to be low transmission fluid.

Old April 6th, 2021, 01:53 PM

I did check fluid and added a pint, Hard to get accurate level since car not able to move to get hot, other than idling in garage. I am sure at least a quart came out, if not more. It may have been over filled, since I had it drained and new cover replaced last year.
Old April 6th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

I believe the more pressing question right now is this.

Does the shift lever move from Park into Reverse? IOW, can you mechanically move the shift lever into Reverse or any other position?

That needs to be established a priori.
Old April 6th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Check the fluid level with the engine running, add as required. It will not engage when low on fluid.
Old April 6th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Yes, it shift thru all the positions.
Old April 6th, 2021, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Check the fluid level with the engine running, add as required. It will not engage when low on fluid.
I will check the fluid levels again when it get hot.
Old April 6th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

Sorry to be asking simple questions, but we're trying to arrive at the difference in what it is and what it is not doing - the reason for asking about specifics.

So, the shifter mechanism itself, you can move the shift lever mechanically from "P" (Park) into any of the other positions (Reverse & Drive) is what I now hear you are saying. OK, that's a start.
Next, when you move the shifter mechanism into Reverse from Park, the car does not move. IOW, the transmission does not engage and move the car - that is what you are stating.
To be clear, those two items I addressed are two different functions.

You can achieve nominal engine operating temperature by allowing the vehicle to idle for 15' to 20' - that will achieve operating temperature. When the engine achieves operating temperature is when you should (preferably) check the transmission fluid level - several times.
Old April 6th, 2021, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by tom54tay
I did check fluid and added a pint, Hard to get accurate level since car not able to move to get hot, other than idling in garage. I am sure at least a quart came out, if not more. It may have been over filled, since I had it drained and new cover replaced last year.
So was there any fluid on the stick when you checked after adding that pint? If not, add more fluid until it shows on the stick.
Old April 6th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Banned

What's the history of the torque converter?
Old April 6th, 2021, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Checking the fluid while the car is running is critical. Assume you knew that.
Old April 6th, 2021, 08:17 PM

You can get close enough by aiming for the midpoint of the stick when cold, then add if needed later.

I poured 2 quarts in my 67 to get it to move this past weekend; it has a bad leak.