th350 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2014, 05:21 PM

th350 rebuild

Hello guys, getting my transmission rebuilt in a few weeks nothing special under the hood right now. 350 rocket, put a edelbrock performer and 4bbl quad carb on it. I was thinking about adding a shift kit, any suggestions or experience on what to expect or if its a good idea for a stock engine??
Old March 13th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Shift kit is good. It adds to the fun factor but it also eliminates some of the slippage the factory allows for a smooth shift. So you will have a nice firm shift usually and rv kit or a harsh positive shift hd. use depending on the shift kit that is used the examples I mentione are based on the B&M kits but many companies offer similar kits where you can choose the style of kit based on the use . If you want your car to have a little bark when it shifts its what you want .
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:22 PM

Thanks you've always been a great help on here, I am having someone rebuild and install for me. Is it best to buy the kit separately, the guy said he could rebuild and install for about $850. This was before my idea of adding the shift kit. Where is the best place to order a kit. Just looking for a little bark when it shifts.
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

850 for a rebuild and install sounds like a great deal If he is a reputable builder. The kits can be bought on line I find the ebay kits cheaper usually transgo kits sell for about 60 for the shift kit. Is your builder planning on making any modifications ? I rebuilt my own trans and did some somewhat simple mods like machining the pistons to hold 5 cluthes in the forward and direct drums. Many builders can modify the trans and make their own shift kits. I opted not to since I'm not a pro so using a kit was much easier and one less thing for me to screw up. Talk to your builder and see what his rebuild will consist of. The shift kit will not add any extra time really to the rebuild process making his own and doing the mods might tae some time but I don't know the details on that particular method.

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 13th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Okay thanks again..