Slim Jims served hot crispy

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Slim Jims served hot crispy

My 1962 Olds Dynamic 88 seems to be boiling the trans fluid after its last 35 mile run ( city driving ) and the oil seems to be comming from the filler tube , its not over filled ,in fact the oil loss was so bad i had to put more oil in it to get it home ...

Im gonna drop the trans pan and if possible get a new filter and flush out the radiator transmission cooler ( gonna use an electric fuel pump and a mixer bowl and pump paint thinner thru it , i know , i won't pump anything into the Slim Jim ...

Roto 10 filters and not stocked by anyone .I.have looked and looked google everything
...Does anyone think there would be much of a market if i fabercated reproduction slim jim tranny filters ...just a thought
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by LittleJoe
My 1962 Olds Dynamic 88 seems to be boiling the trans fluid after its last 35 mile run ( city driving ) and the oil seems to be comming from the filler tube , its not over filled ,in fact the oil loss was so bad i had to put more oil in it to get it home ...

Im gonna drop the trans pan and if possible get a new filter and flush out the radiator transmission cooler ( gonna use an electric fuel pump and a mixer bowl and pump paint thinner thru it , i know , i won't pump anything into the Slim Jim ...

Roto 10 filters and not stocked by anyone .I.have looked and looked google everything
...Does anyone think there would be much of a market if i fabercated reproduction slim jim tranny filters ...just a thought

Try www.fatsco.com They're on the eastern seaboard I think in New Jersey. They stock all kinds of Slim Jim (Roto 10) Transmission Parts and most parts are new. I've bought Seal Kits, Thrust Bearing (separately) Front Pumps, and Torus'. Check them out, they sell to the U.S. Military as well.
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM

It is manditory for them to sell to the military because they have the biggest guns...
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:38 AM

You can also try north west tansmission parts (nwtparts.com) I got a rebuild kit for my 55 hydro. And the guys were very helpfull with tips and info on rebuilding it.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM

When you pull the filler tube to drain the trans. Make sure the ball is in place on the end of the tube.

Without it the trans will dump out the filler tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-491S.JPG (29.7 KB, 45 views)
MVC-485S.JPG (34.4 KB, 40 views)
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dlh61olds
When you pull the filler tube to drain the trans. Make sure the ball is in place on the end of the tube.

Without it the trans will dump out the filler tube.

Time to give an update ..I removed the trans oil pan and there is no ball in the filler tube ,when i removed the filler tube i thought i could touch what felt like a ball by placing my finger in the filler hole, but it was the curve of the tranny filter ..
I still have to pump paint thinner thru the rad trans cooler then pump clean trans fluid into the rad cooler...
I wanted to remove the vent tube and make sure it was clean However its a bear to get at , its at the top of the tail shaft and it looks like its pressed in rather than threaded ..
Im sure some one here has removed a slim jim vent tube...??
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM

Time to give an update ..I removed the trans oil pan and there is no ball in the filler tube ,when i removed the filler tube i thought i could touch what felt like a ball by placing my finger in the filler hole, but it was the curve of the tranny filter ..
I still have to pump paint thinner thru the rad trans cooler then pump clean trans fluid into the rad cooler...
I wanted to remove the vent tube and make sure it was clean However its a bear to get at , its at the top of the tail shaft and it looks like its pressed in rather than threaded ..
Im sure some one here has removed a slim jim vent tube...??

They don't come out easily but the tube should have a Muffler type of filter on it to stop dirt from getting into the line at the other end.
If this still has the filter on the line I wouldn't be bothering with it as things seldom get into the line.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:38 AM

Joe, I wouldn't use paint thinner to flush the transmission cooler. I would either use clean ATF or denatured alcohol. By using clean transmission fluid you won't run the risk of contaminating the transmission cooler. If you use denatured alcohol it will evaporate without leaving a residue (unlike other solvents).
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:44 AM

Joe, I can send you the ball.
That is all you will need to correct the problem.
As far as flushing, don't use anything but tranny fluid, it will NOT attack the seals.
Send me your address and I will get the ball off to you.
Dave
Attached Images
MVC-491S.JPG (29.7 KB, 16 views)
IMG_5042.JPG (78.6 KB, 21 views)
MVC-178S.JPG (28.3 KB, 20 views)
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:24 PM

update slim jim hot crispy

Well before i got the word not to flush out the rad tranny cooler with paint thinner, I had all ready done the paint thinner flush ..

However after that paint thinner flush, I pumped about 24 fl oz , of clean tranny fluid into the cooler and pumped that same 24 oz thru the system 5 times ..

I dont think i have any issues of any paint thinner mixed in my oil ..
But i have my fingers crossed ..
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Did you fix your problem with the transmission fluid boiling over?
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Test ride with and with out *****

I drove the car about 5 miles and it seemed ok ..There was some smoke comming off the exhaust manifold from the oil residue ..

I also Changed the thermostat to a 160 ..it looked like there was a 170
degree thermo in it before ..it looked strange never seen that kind of thermostat ..It has the part that opens to let the water pass , looks like a door, that opens from the side ..
strange ..
..I think the engine could have been running a tad hot also , however it never boiled over..

There is ball that acts like a check valve ,it was missing from the transmission filler tube, i never knew filer tubes have check valves , but it seems logical ..
A member from classic Olds said he will send me a ball..

Talking about ***** ..When i bought a new computer, I got a little desk top Aser, fast little bugger ..cost 198...
When i got home and pluged everything in, I couldent get it to turn on ..
I was not pushing the start button at the right angle..
So i called the computer store and said this thing don't work, and the mouse don't eaven have a ball...
The store geek on the other end of the phone said ..."Sir our mice don't have ball's anymore " ....

Thank God my 394 has ***** ...
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Old May 12th, 2010, 10:17 PM

Exclamation 185 degree

I drove the car about 5 miles and it seemed ok ..There was some smoke comming off the exhaust manifold from the oil residue ..

I also Changed the thermostat to a 160 ..it looked like there was a 170
degree thermo in it before ..it looked strange never seen that kind of thermostat ..It has the part that opens to let the water pass , looks like a door, that opens from the side ..
strange ..
..I think the engine could have been running a tad hot also , however it never boiled over..

There is ball that acts like a check valve ,it was missing from the transmission filler tube, i never knew filer tubes have check valves , but it seems logical ..

Talking about ***** ..When i bought a new computer, I got a little desk top Aser, fast little bugger ..cost 198...
When i got home and pluged everything in, I couldent get it to turn on ..
I was not pushing the start button at the right angle..
So i called the computer store and said this thing don't work, and the mouse don't eaven have a ball...
The store geek on the other end of the phone said ..."Sir our mice don't have ball's anymore " ....

Thank God my 394 has ***** ...

The lowest temp. thermostat should a 185 Degree and then your coolant will cycle when the thermostat says it needs to open or close. If your system is still running too hot it isn't your thermostat, it's probably a plugged Rad Core.

People who run low temp. thermostats have trouble understanding just how the cooling systems really work, and too low a 'stat can create problems somewhere else by trying to increase coolant flow, which in most cases enhances the problem
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM

Slim Jim Update

Thank God my 394 has ***** ...[/quote]

Dave sent me a tranny tube ball ,Thank you verry much Dave..
It seems likely the ball fits inside a retainer that is at the end of the filler tube ..When the trans oil gets hot and expnads the ball is forced to restrict the back flow of tranny oil, up the filler tube ..

So im gonna have to drain the tranny oil again, and remove the filler tube, and hope the check valve Retainer is inside the filler tube ..

Last edited by LittleJoe; May 22nd, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM

I just flush around 2 gallons of fluid through my transmission until it came out clean. I got my filters on ebay. I found one for 45.00 and another for 12.00 Just got to shop around. Theres some pictures in my 61 Olds Thread in major builds.