Play in SlimJim slip yoke

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:36 PM

Play in SlimJim slip yoke

Hello everybody

Can any amount of play be accepted, where the slip yoke slides in to the transmission??
If I grab it with my hands, I can wriggle the slip yoke.

I suspect that this may cause a bang/clunk from the rear when taking of normal/slowly/gently from time to time, not every time.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:17 PM

Should be fine. The spline slides as the rear of the car changes height.There is a bronze bushing that the yoke slides inside of, if the rear seal on the transmission is not leaking then it is still good.
Steve
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:30 AM

It slides as I would define as okay, but the play is up and down, and the seal is leaking.
Another thing is, that the car has limited slip diff, but it does it when setting of in anstraight line, so my guess its not the diff that makes this clunk.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:05 AM

I would change the bushing and seal at the rear of the transmission, I have seen the bushings for sale on e-bay from time to time. Check the outside diameter of the yoke and it might be worn. I will look up the specs. on it, What year car?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:25 AM

Its a 1964 Olds 98.

When it does it, it is with variated force, and when worst, it feeles like a big spring that is twisted, and then you let the stored energy go in a second... Not nice

I will look for the bush you mention, and have a look in the shop manual.

Thank you for your input
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:10 AM

I had similar play and leakage in my 63 but did not have the clunking issue. I replaced the trans bushing, seal and both universal joints. Check your u-joints. You should also check the rear axle with the driveshaft removed for play and noise. One other thing to look at is the driveshaft, if it is like mine it is a two piece unit that I assume is connected by rubber, be sure the rubber has not deteriorated. Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2016, 12:37 AM

I did check the driveshaft, and yes it is tube in a tube at the rear, which I guess is where the rubberdamper is?? It looks ok, but dont know how to check it.
The uni joint are not new. One joint give a little "click" when moving it by hand, otherwise nothing major. They will be changed.
The diff is turned by hand without issues.

Does the bush in the SJ need a puller of some kind, to remove it??

Thank you for your input Don
Old June 12th, 2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Don R.
I had similar play and leakage in my 63 but did not have the clunking issue. I replaced the trans bushing, seal and both universal joints. Check your u-joints. You should also check the rear axle with the driveshaft removed for play and noise. One other thing to look at is the driveshaft, if it is like mine it is a two piece unit that I assume is connected by rubber, be sure the rubber has not deteriorated. Good luck!
Don... Was it a Slim Jim you changed the seal and bush??

Can you tell me if it is possible to change the bush, with the transmission in car??
Old June 6th, 2019, 10:10 AM

I am bringing this up again.... it is getting worse and is very bad when everything warmed up.

First, I cant see if the rubber in the driveshaft is deteriorated. I guess I could make a white line with a paint marker pen, going on both parts of the driveshaft and see if they dont line up after a drive ?

Second, u-joints are brand new.

I KNOW the yoke have a little play, a is not sliding nice and smooth over the splines. Transmission splines look good but I cant see the yoke splines condition good enough. It simply binds when pushed on and pulled of.
The yoke sealing surface is not smooth. Its like a little mountain landscape.
The rear seal does leak, but not much.

I think I have to get the rear bush an seal sorted, and would like to do it my self. Is it possible with any special transmission tools??
I am not affraid of mechanic but have never had a transmission apart. I do have a workshop manual, but I dont think it is very good.

Last edited by Jandk; June 6th, 2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Yoke condition
Old June 7th, 2019, 06:26 PM

Jan, sorry I didn't answer your old post. My car does have the slim-jim. I did not do the replacement myself so I can't be of much help, it should be covered in the shop manual.
Old June 8th, 2019, 01:03 AM

No worry Don. No hard feelings ��

During last night I decided to remove the driveshaft and have it checked or maybe remade, to eliminate the possibility of a bad vibration damper inside the driveshaft.

After that I can decide what to do with the driveshaft.